Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I an finally going to get around to having a solar panel fitted on the M/H prior to our tour to Scotland later on, I see that there are several on Fleabay, any recommended panels or sellers, and just as importantly, anyone had bad experiences with sellers or panels. I suppose something like a 100W Bosch might be OK, what do I need to look for in a controller please.

Tmesis

Free Member
Mar 28, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
I an finally going to get around to having a solar panel fitted on the M/H prior to our tour to Scotland later on, I see that there are several on Fleabay, any recommended panels or sellers, and just as importantly, anyone had bad experiences with sellers or panels. I suppose something like a 100W Bosch might be OK, what do I need to look for in a controller please.

You won't go wrong with a monocrystaline Bosch. For the controller, if you can get an MPPT as these are far superior in efficiency than a simple limiter.

You can get dual output controllers, but if you have nothing heavy drawing on the starter battery, you won't get much benefit from the extra output.

Keep the cable between the controller and the battery as short as possible and a reasonable gauge. No need to go over the top as 100w will at most give 9 amps of charge.

Mount the panels to give an inch or so of free air underneath them as their efficiency drops the hotter they get.

(is there some irony in fitting solar before visiting Scotland :))

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
[HI]
Sunstore - excellent kit. MPPT controller - no contest.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:
[/HI]

We'll go along with what Trikeman says... Sunstore are pretty good:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You won't go wrong with a monocrystaline Bosch. For the controller, if you can get an MPPT as these are far superior in efficiency than a simple limiter.

You can get dual output controllers, but if you have nothing heavy drawing on the starter battery, you won't get much benefit from the extra output.

Keep the cable between the controller and the battery as short as possible and a reasonable gauge. No need to go over the top as[HI] 100w will at most give 9 amps of charge.[/HI]

Mount the panels to give an inch or so of free air underneath them as their efficiency drops the hotter they get.

in your dreams maybe. :roflmto:

In theory it will produce 8.33amps....in reality it will produce 7amps in good overhead sun.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
6 amps is about optimum
I have witnessed 18 amps from my 300 with mppt and that is more than the panels projected/claimed output

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

It depends how much roof space you've got. If you've got plenty, just get cheap panels and controllers. You get more output from just buying more capacity than buying better quality. However, if you've only got room for a single panel, get a decent panel and decent MPPT controller to maximize output.

Personally, I prefer semi-flexible, as they are so much easier and thus cheaper to fit and don't look so ugly, unaerodynamic and nickable as they don't stick out from the roof.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
there are various amounts of offers

many members have many types depending what you require and budget.
i bought the wrong solar chargers twice, first was a 10 amp cheap second was a 20 amp cheap now i have a 30 amp ..
and two 150w panels. thats my choice it wasnt that much more in money,

here is a budget system from the guys i bought from first class service.
the reason i selected this as an example is that you get the plastic fixing brackets for the ends and side very important also dont drill onto roof you will need a flexible bonding agent as shown
Broken Link Removed

you need this for fixing to roof incl round the cable entry box.
Broken Link Removed

batteries if required,
single battery, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-110AH...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item27cfc7649a

pair of batteries .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEAL-PAIR...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item1c1c5bef69

you will need battery clamps and heavy duty battery cable from a good car component shop ,, i got mine from maplins not a bad price, make sure battery dimensions can fit under your van or in one of the outside compartments not with the gas and not inside anywhere as they can expel gasses ,,, also secure with the correct means and battery trays with sides or similar. i running cable under van is the only option then cable seal and cable tie often to stop cable wear this can cause arking and be dangerous ,,,
a good dry day is a must to cure the sika flex fixing compound,

i have this set up which i just completed a few days back works well and
i also just fitted a inverter as shown not always required ,,,

2x http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281248073912?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
received 48hrs good product,

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-PV-...005&prg=9264&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=320935573579&rt=nc

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

good luck and there was a few guys on here gave me help when i needed it ,, also dont connect solar panels till all wiring is completed,
any issues with wiring info just ask on here im sure you will be assisted,
good luck,,,:thumb:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
totaly agree check dimentions of any panel

It depends how much roof space you've got. If you've got plenty, just get cheap panels and controllers. You get more output from just buying more capacity than buying better quality. However, if you've only got room for a single panel, get a decent panel and decent MPPT controller to maximize output.

Personally, I prefer semi-flexible, as they are so much easier and thus cheaper to fit and don't look so ugly, unaerodynamic and nickable as they don't stick out from the roof.

totally agree check dimensions of any panel your interested in buying
as you may have several roof windows or a rach or box even a satellite or aerial all get in the way..
like the idea of the flexible panels never seen them but have noticed them on ebay,
:thumb:

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997

Keep the cable between the controller and the battery as short as possible and a reasonable gauge. No need to go over the top as 100w will at most give 9 amps of charge.

We spent a month in Alaska last June, the locals said it was unseasonably hot, we said we had brought the weather over with especially !.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back