Aires on A75 in France (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
On the way down to Spain earlier this week we drove tthe A75 for the first time. What a fantastic trip - magnificent scenery and great civil engineering. We will probably use he same road back in 3 weeks or so time. We noticed many very nice clean quiet Aires and were wondering if the same warning about never using motorway Aires applied to this quieter road. We would be looking to stay in the quieter ones without petrol stations etc.

Any thoughts please?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i never take notice of any of the scare stories but sometimes beat to pitch in with the trucks it will make u feel safer but i for 1 have never had any problems no matter where i have stayed safe roads and enjoy the trip

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Got robbed on an Aire De Services, close to Millau, on the A75 a few years ago so I would say, that though it seems quiet, just be careful.

I got in amongst the trucks and apparently this is not the thing to do.

I don't stop on Motorway Aires anymore.

:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Aires in French, simple means an area or place ..

there are three types of Aires on French roads.. .

1. Pick-nick Aires .. simple a parking place or rest stop.. usually toilets , but no petrol station.. anyone can use, car truck, bus, lorry etc. not usually lit at night.

2. Service Aires.. as above, anyone can use.. + fuel and a shop, usually lit.

3. Camping Car Aires.. what most people think of when they say aire..
As a minimum it will have drinking water, grey and black waste dumping and waste bin.. many have an ehu that you pay for. Usually lit at night.
They are Motorhomes ONLY ..

Back to your question..

Personally , first choice would be a Camping Car Aire .. if not then a Service Station aire.. I would NOT use a Pick-nick aire.. they look lovely in day time but are pitch black at night and IMO the least desirable and riskiest place to stop for a nights kip.

Tens if not hundreds of thousands use Camping Car aires every year with no problems..

Last edited:
OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have the book and was using the camping car ones all the way through France, with no problems. And I know about the problems with motorway Aires, although we used to use them with no problems at all 25 years ago with kids and caravan. Just asking about this particular motorway's Aires, and people's experiences of using them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just asking about this particular motorway's Aires, and people's experiences of using them.

sorry, wasn't trying to teach you to suck eggs.. :Smile:

I have no personal experience of the aires on this road.. but my advice would be the same as I posted.

MHF have a crime reporting map which I keep up to date.. .... just had a look and it has ONE robbery reported on the A75..

as you can see..there are very few crimes being reported..

Millau Viaduct , services A75
Robbery, van broken into, lock forced, money and cards stolen. Aug 2009

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=207590977793691629247.00046089449fc9f672423&msa=0&ll=46.362093,8.459473&spn=12.982312,33.815918&iwloc=000471e89808768883291

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
sorry, wasn't trying to teach you to suck eggs.. :Smile:

I have no personal experience of the aires on this road.. but my advice would be the same as I posted.

MHF have a crime reporting map which I keep up to date.. .... just had a look and it has ONE robbery reported on the A75..

as you can see..there are very few crimes being reported..

Millau Viaduct , services A75
Robbery, van broken into, lock forced, money and cards stolen. Aug 2009

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?m....982312,33.815918&iwloc=000471e89808768883291

I would imagine that the percentage of European Motorhomers who actually subscribe to MHfun is very low, probably a lot less than 1%.
It would be interesting to see actual Police figures of reported crime on French Aires.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would imagine that the percentage of European Motorhomers who actually subscribe to MHfun is very low, probably a lot less than 1%.
It would be interesting to see actual Police figures of reported crime on French Aires.

yes, I absolutely agree .. it's only a snapshot.. a bit like a poll...

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It is a fab motorway for scenery and of course it's free from Clermont southwards other than the Millau bridge.

We've picnicked or peed at the vast bulk of the aires over the years but have never ever stayed overnight at any of em and when using it, just use the 'All The Aires' map to find a proper MoHo Aire somewhere just off that road.

Just north of Beziers, Lake Salagou is worth a detour off Jct 54 (where there is a large Intermarche etc) for the scenery of it alone - and there's an aire next to the Camping Municipal on the Clermont l'Herault side - but do not attempt to access it via Les Bories as the road through the hamlet is far too narrow even for some cars! - with a complete double back on yourself hairpin :Eeek: - go via CH itself or drive round the lake anti clockwise instead.

In doing the latter, there's also another - just overnight parking for 4 vans, no facilities - in a side road on the motorway side of the lake, near Octon. The road is signposted 'Village du Bosc' which is a campsite (and very nice, but only if you are naturist :roflmto:)

SE of Clermont Ferrand, the aire at St Pourçain sur Sioule is worth a visit as is, further south, the town of St Flour itself although we weren't keen on the aire so didn't stay.

You could always meander off the Mway properly, into the Land of the Volcanoes - eg the aire at the Puy de Dome is good value for money seeing as it's free LOL You now take a very steep train ride round and round to the top and it's quite cheap. It's either that or walk, you can no longer ride a bike or motorbike up the road and you haven't been able to drive a car up it for years.

Further north if you go that way, check out the aire at Lamotte Beuvron - lovely.

Can't think just now where else, but you get the picture.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
We have stayed overnight many times on the A75. We have usually stayed on the “Lozere” services at junction 32. Co-ordinates are 44°52'15.56" N 3°14'53.98" E :thumb:

This is a nice place to stay. :thumb: Not only is it a “motorway aire”, but it has a lovely arboretum and there is an interesting display of granite stone and its history. :thumb:

There are plenty of places to park up around the vast park or on the restaurant car park. There are water taps around the park, toilets and showers. All FREE!!! Fuel station and lorry park are also there.:thumb:

We have always found a number of other motorhomes and caravans parked up for the night and we have had no problems there whatsoever. :thumb:

Have a look on Google Earth street view. In our opinion, a great overnight stop when going either north or south on the A75. :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have used "aires" on motorway and dual carriageway service stations for decades.

Indeed the only "aires" I hardly ever use are the ones packed with motorhomes (like the one near St Jean de Luz yesterday).

I have never been robbed on such places.

Years ago I was robbed twice in Madrid and once in Turin. I don't avoid Madrid or Turin because of those events.

I was robbed in Blackpool too. I DO avoid Blackpool now... but not because of the robbery!

We can get robbed anywhere... It is largely down to luck imo.

But avoid service station and motorway lay bys if you are going to feel unsafe staying there.

You won't sleep well and it leaves a space.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Of course what I should have typed with regard to the aire at St Pourçain sur Sioule was NNE, but wherever it is, its still quite a nice place to visit!!

Don't know what I was thinking when I typed that.:Blush::Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back