Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
just a quickie
just wondering why 3mm plywood is used for ceiling and wall panels apposed to 3mm hardboard

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Probably because plywood is stronger than hardboard! :Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would imagine hardboard would sag between fixings

No doubt Terry will be along in a minute with a pro's answer

but do not be surprised if he says "cause hardboard is sh1te"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Plywood is more stable less prone to sag due to opposing grain in the board

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
am using ply anyways was just wondering thats all. Didnt think about the sagging knew it wasnt as strong screwing things to it etc...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
hardboard is made from wood pulp so no grain and takes up moisture and swells. plywood is thin opposing layers of wood with a natural grain bonded usually with water resistant glue.
ply has a greater structural strength too

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Manufacturers may also use flexi ply on curved areas such us the Luton roof

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Most caravan manufacturers used to soak all hardboard so when fitting would dry flat and tight .Not sure they still do but it certainly worked.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well here I am::bigsmile: hardbord will bow between fixings ::bigsmile: and like John said it's sh-t needs finishing and although very strong under compression not much else going for it :Smile:
if you can wait a few days until I get my van and I will post tips and what to do with the roof to stop any bellying.When I eventually get it I will only be a day ripping out what the nutter did and will have the insulation along with the new inner roof in along with pics -- lots of pics:thumb:
terry

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I didn't know you could even buy Hardboard now.
What's it used for these days?
As a kid I remember my old man (an incorrigible DIY'er) dry-lining room after room with it in our old house and even building cupboards out of it.
I'm not sure Plywood even existed back in the early 1970's.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I didn't know you could even buy Hardboard now.
What's it used for these days?
As a kid I remember my old man (an incorrigible DIY'er) dry-lining room after room with it in our old house and even building cupboards out of it.
I'm not sure Plywood even existed back in the early 1970's.

That's because it was cheap ::bigsmile: If your old man made cupboards from it I bet he made a traditional frame(2 x 1 etc)and covered it with HB --ply has been around for about 100 yrs :winky:--I think MDF has taken over from HB -that too is heavy but if kept dry it does not warp,shrink or move :Smile:Weight alone will keep it out of a M/H
TERRY

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
--ply has been around for about 100 yrs :winky:--
TERRY

indeed.. just had to look that up...

In 1797 the Englishman Sir Samuel Bentham applied for patents covering several machines to produce veneers. In his patent applications, he described the concept of laminating several layers of veneer with glue to form a thicker piece – the first description of what we now call plywood.

an interesting history of plywood.. .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plywood

I have a Singer Sewing Machine Cabinet, partly made from plywood , dates from 1917..

More Photos herehttp://scotjimland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/singer-drawing-room-cabinet-no-21-with.html
Broken Link Removed

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That is a beautiful Singer example SJ and a wonderful restoration job (I assume you had to restore the cabinet). We inherited a somewhat more utilitarian, and probably younger, version from my aunt; the base is a simple open format with drawers at the top. It is now with our daughter but I have to admit that the veneers have lifted in some places (corners) and it looks a bit the worse for wear. She likes it though and uses it as a general stand (until recently for an aquarium).
We still have the machine in the loft.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
That is a beautiful Singer example SJ and a wonderful restoration job (I assume you had to restore the cabinet). We inherited a somewhat more utilitarian, and probably younger, version from my aunt; the base is a simple open format with drawers at the top. It is now with our daughter but I have to admit that the veneers have lifted in some places (corners) and it looks a bit the worse for wear. She likes it though and uses it as a general stand (until recently for an aquarium).

Jim will take it off your hands releasing room in the loft for more junk ::bigsmile:
PS I have not yet started to throw non throw away crap in my loft still got a little room left on and around my pool table ::bigsmile:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Hi ... thanks, tis indeed lovely example..
wish I could claim that it was all my work.. but no restoration.. just a good clean and polish .
I stripped the machine head and cleaned and oiled.. and as they say.. she runs like a sewing machine..

if you look at the blog you will see a few more of my collection.. It started out when I bought an old Singer to do some work for the RV.. I fell in love with them.. I also have fond memories of my grandmother sewing on her treadle.. she was a tayloress, as were several other aunts and family members..

here it is sewing..

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WZwsRsxiPc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WZwsRsxiPc[/ame]

and some more..

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pNbwaiXVTE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pNbwaiXVTE[/ame]

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Plywood stays flat as a result of its cross laminated structure and is lighter than hardboard which as already stated can sag between fixings.
In a potentially damp application use WBP plywood not MR .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back