Headlight beam deflectors. (1 Viewer)

Have your headlights ever been checked by the Gendarme/Polizei?

• Yes, and we had none and were fined!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, we had none and were not fined!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, never stopped and we don't fit deflectors!

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • No, never stopped but we fit deflectors for every trip!

Votes: 57 62.0%
  • Yes, we were stopped, we had deflectors and were congratulated by the police!

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I for one have NEVER seen a foreign vehicle with headlight beam deflectors on.

As a result, we don't bother fitting any when we hit the Continent!

Although we do carry some just in case!:winky:

Now, has anyone ever been stopped and fined for not having beam deflectors on whilst abroad? Are you more likely to be gassed?:Eeek:

I feel its time for a survey!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Mmmmm, still nobody actually stopped!

Are headlamp deflectors the new sleeping gas?:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Slightly 'off piste' but does anyone know how to remove the yuck that's left after removing the damn things,,,,,,, without cocking the Ducato headlamp cover up?:Angry:

Trikeman. :winky:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Slightly 'off piste' but does anyone know how to remove the yuck that's left after removing the damn things,,,,,,, without cocking the Ducato headlamp cover up?:Angry:

No, that's why we don't stick 'em on in the first place!::bigsmile:

We never did get it off our old Boxer. Its probably still there!:Doh:

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
We have travelled to the continent for years mainly by motorcycle apply some black tape to your headlamps in a triangle we have been stopped and as long as the tape is intact we have had no issues

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and theres another survey for you, for the majority of MHers who fit these devices, (do we trust surveys?!) how many then leave them on in the UK, or do they remove at the point of embarkation (not too sure that is a real word) from the continent?

I remember the days we all bought yellow paint for our headlights, then got to France and found most had white headlights!! Try getting that off

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Meths.

I just spare a bit from my evening pint for wiping the headlamps with.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I bought a set of headlamp 'protectors' from a reputable e-bay retailer. They came with black adhesive material and discreet etchings on the lens to aid correct alignment to divert the headlamp beams. They were pricey (40 odd quid) but we'll worth it. You simply clip them on for each foreign trip, then unclip them once back in blighty and store them for next time. No cleaning off old adhesive or risking damage. No need to buy new stickers for each trip either.

Some headlamp lens are made from a sort of plastic and adhesive tape reacts badly with the lens surface, leaving nasty burned-in witness marks.

With these clip-ons, you get the value-added aspect of protection against stones damaging the headlamps too!

I didn't use their black tape, I bought 'Eurolite' adhesive deflectors (£3.50 ebay) and stuck those to the protectors. Job done!

Yes, a bit pricey and you'd probably get away without being stopped BUT I'd rather not be blamed by the gendarmerie for an accident where the other driver (clutching at straws) said he was 'blinded' by my vehicle.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I have the "marked" protectors on 24/7 and carry black tape just in case I feel the need to drive at night, which is not very often, the tape comes of easy and squert of fairy liquid gets ride of the gluey residue

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I am not being a goody-goody but I always fit them whenever I go to France as I believe its the law there. I rarely drive at night but have put the lights on in the rain and am happy that I am not dazzling oncoming drivers. I fit them at the ferry/tunnel terminal going out and remove them before boarding coming back.
I believe I read somewhere that most foreign cars dont have their dipped lights angled to the verge but are pointed straight (I may be wrong on this) so they dont need to be corrected.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Never fitted them in over 25 years driving abroad and never been stopped and we've used car motorbike and motorhome. Only time I've been stopped is on the motorbike in China where the police kept stopping me and tried to make me turn off the headlight which wouldn't turn off. But they really just wanted a photo of themselves with the bike. :ROFLMAO:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I'd put this in the same category as 'you must carry a full set of bulbs when abroad'. In France it's illegal to travel with defective bulbs. As is the case here. There is no law requiring you to carry bulbs with you - just a requirement to replace them if they blow. How many people here do you imagine carry a full set of bulbs at all times? Given the number of one-eyed monsters you see driving around, the irony is that some of them will dutifully buy a set of bulbs to travel to France, not realising that one of their headlights is already out...

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have headlight protectors with the appropriate bits masked out, a breathalyser kit, spare bulbs, warning triangle, fluorescent vests, first aid kit, snow chains, a tub of Lidl rock salt (now..::bigsmile:) and a SatNav with danger zones instead of speed camera warnings
Don't see the reason not to have them.

Allan :thumb:

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
We have headlight protectors with the appropriate bits masked out, a breathalyser kit, spare bulbs, warning triangle, fluorescent vests, first aid kit, snow chains, a tub of Lidl rock salt (now..::bigsmile:) and a SatNav with danger zones instead of speed camera warnings
Don't see the reason not to have them.

Allan :thumb:

likewise bar the rock salt (although might think of that for next winter's skiing)

the reason you need headlight deflectors in Europe is that, for some reason, UK vehicle lights have an asymmetric beam which slant towards the left. when driving on the right in Europe, this left facing beam can dazzle oncoming drivers if you don't mask it out.

the reason you won't see headlight deflectors on Euro cars in the UK is that Euro light beams are symmetrical so the shine straight down the middle of the lane so won't dazzle UK drivers.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I seem to remember being told my Hymer has a screw on each headlight which you turn depending which side of the road your driving on so it correct for left or right but I've never looked for it. Would like to say I never drive in the dark when abroad but I do. Having said I don't fit beam benders there are two on my van which were on it when I bought it and I've never taken them off because of the mess they leave behind and it went through its mot two weeks ago with them on. :Blush:

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
the reason I use headlight protectors with the relevant areas masked out when in Europe is quite simple - they take 30 seconds to fit and don't leave any marks on the main headlight glass. they have an added bonus when driving in more mountainous regions where grit is used a lot in winter of damage protection.

I take them off when driving in the UK

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'd put this in the same category as 'you [HI]must carry a full set of bulbs when abroad'. [/HI]In France it's illegal to travel with defective bulbs. As is the case here. There is no law requiring you to carry bulbs with you - just a requirement to replace them if they blow. How many people here do you imagine carry a full set of bulbs at all times? Given the number of one-eyed monsters you see driving around, the irony is that some of them will dutifully buy a set of bulbs to travel to France, not realising that one of their headlights is already out...
The stupidity of this really hit home when my (French = Renault) car had a headlight bulb 'go'. "OK", I thought, "pop down to local garage, buy bulb and pop it in". Well, couldn't see how to get at bulb so returned home, crawled underneath, climbed on top, wedged my arm into positions I was seriously concerned that I might not be able to get out of! Conceded that I wasn't going to be able to manage it. Looked in the manaul where it listed the job under 'return to dealer':Eeek:
OK I'll take it to local garage, they'll manage it. Two garages looked and said, "no way". I then rang Renault dealer who said, "yes, book it in and we'll do it". BOOK IT IN to swap a lightbulb? Guess how much? £50!:whatthe: Yes, £50 to change a lightbulb! as they have to remove a large
chunk of engine!

Sooooooooo....what's the idea behind carrying spare bulbs? :Doh:

Wyn

So what is the point

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
The stupidity of this really hit home when my (French = Renault) car had a headlight bulb 'go'. "OK", I thought, "pop down to local garage, buy bulb and pop it in". Well, couldn't see how to get at bulb so returned home, crawled underneath, climbed on top, wedged my arm into positions I was seriously concerned that I might not be able to get out of! Conceded that I wasn't going to be able to manage it. Looked in the manaul where it listed the job under 'return to dealer':Eeek:
OK I'll take it to local garage, they'll manage it. Two garages looked and said, "no way". I then rang Renault dealer who said, "yes, book it in and we'll do it". BOOK IT IN to swap a lightbulb? Guess how much? £50!:whatthe: Yes, £50 to change a lightbulb! as they have to remove a large
chunk of engine!

Sooooooooo....what's the idea behind carrying spare bulbs? :Doh:

Wyn

So what is the point

exactly - what is the point of carrying headlight bulbs! I carry a set in a plastic case but I have absolutely no idea if they'll fit my headlights - I've had them years so probably not. I don't even know if I could do a user replacement in the 1st place (as per Wyn's experience) as I've never checked. But if I ever get stopped an asked if I have any spare bulbs, I can genuinely say yes - just don't ask me what they fit!! :winky:

that's another good reason for the headlight cover - less chance of blowing a bulb and finding you can't sort it out easily when abroad!!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Twice we have been checked once at Calais and once at Dunkirk to see if we had the converters fitted - it was very brief - just waved down as soon they could see them on the headlights just waved us on with a thumbs up - did not even stop the wheels turning it was that quick.

As far as changing bulbs go some motors need the wing removed - another one the radiator and another the front bumper and skirt - ridiculous really - until they invent the everlasting bulb I think it should be a part of the type approval process that even the least mechanically minded should be able to easily change a bulb with the minimum of tools.

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I bought a set of headlamp 'protectors' from a reputable e-bay retailer. They came with black adhesive material and discreet etchings on the lens to aid correct alignment to divert the headlamp beams. They were pricey (40 odd quid) but we'll worth it. You simply clip them on for each foreign trip, then unclip them once back in blighty and store them for next time. No cleaning off old adhesive or risking damage. No need to buy new stickers for each trip either.

Some headlamp lens are made from a sort of plastic and adhesive tape reacts badly with the lens surface, leaving nasty burned-in witness marks.

With these clip-ons, you get the value-added aspect of protection against stones damaging the headlamps too!

I didn't use their black tape, I bought 'Eurolite' adhesive deflectors (£3.50 ebay) and stuck those to the protectors. Job done!

Yes, a bit pricey and you'd probably get away without being stopped BUT I'd rather not be blamed by the gendarmerie for an accident where the other driver (clutching at straws) said he was 'blinded' by my vehicle.

I also have a pair of clip on protectors / deflectors that are fitted to the headlights before going abroad in the spring. Usually away for a month - then back to UK - before returning to the continent again late August. Normally leave them on in the UK during summer - lights little used then, in any case. And then remove the deflectors in the autumn, when we return home for the winter. :thumb:

If anybody is interested, here's a useful illustrated link to photos and instructions for fitting deflectors to the Fiat X250:

http://deepredmotorhome.com/headlampdeflectors.php

Mike

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
likewise bar the rock salt (although might think of that for next winter's skiing)

the reason you need headlight deflectors in Europe is that, for some reason, UK vehicle lights have an asymmetric beam which slant towards the left. when driving on the right in Europe, this left facing beam can dazzle oncoming drivers if you don't mask it out.

the reason you won't see headlight deflectors on Euro cars in the UK is that Euro light beams are symmetrical so the shine straight down the middle of the lane so won't dazzle UK drivers.

Sorry to disagree, but having lived in Germany and having to fit Euro lights to a Brit car pass a British Forces Germany roadworthy test, I know that to be untrue.
Euro headlamps are the mirror of ours.
It also explains why I am forever being dazzled around Norfolk and Lincolnshire, there's loads of Eastern European workers, and cars, round here!
All the reason to get your own back on Johnny Foreigner when touring abroad!!!:roflmto:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Further to my last post, during my army service in Germany, I also carried out inspections on lhd Army vehicles, including staff cars and vans.
All these, when inspected with the beam tester, had sloping beams!

And when our unit moved back to the UK, the first job was to swap headlights on EVERYTHING!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Further to my last post, during my army service I also carried out inspections on Army vehicles, including staff cars and vans.
All these, when inspected with the beam tester, had sloping beams!

i have that experience also ( too many years ago to remember ) but this:-

is a current quote from the AA website.... it could be wrong but i read it there also :Eeek:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Meths.

I just spare a bit from my evening pint for wiping the headlamps with.

Nice one old chap - ours still had the sticky stuff left on and this was gathering road dirt, this led to them getting black, shitty and looked awful.

Just nicked some meths from SWMBO's supply :winky: and used a rag to apply it. I waited a few minutes and away it came,,,,,, like two new headlamps - changed the whole look of the front end and not a trace they had been there.

Next time at a meet, the pint of meths, for you, is on me.... Great tip.:thumb:

Regards,

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
i have that experience also ( too many years ago to remember ) but this:-

is a current quote from the AA website.... it could be wrong but i read it there also :Eeek:

Is that why they sell beam deflectors for Euro cars to be legal in Britain on the ferry?!:ROFLMAO:

The next time I am at a warehouse with foreign lorries present, in the dark, I am taking a photo of their beam pattern!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back