LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We arrived in Morocco with our 11kg Gaslow full. We used it for fridge and cooking and some hot water for a month, all the time worrying about running out.

We got back to Spain and put in just 11l, just half a tank.

On the other hand we can use a tank in 3/4 days of UK winter, like Newark last year.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
very useful, I am going to have gas low or similar fitted, I am weighing up the option of have 2 refillables, or leaving one Calor, save a bit of money on install and retain a useful back up. Or just go for extra refillable and bank on not running out with so much gas, we can fit 2 x 11kg refillables

no doubt a thread that has been played out on here many times, sorry for any repetition

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
very useful, I am going to have gas low or similar fitted, I am weighing up the option of have 2 refillables, or leaving one Calor, save a bit of money on install and retain a useful back up. Or just go for extra refillable and bank on not running out with so much gas, we can fit 2 x 11kg refillables

no doubt a thread that has been played out on here many times, sorry for any repetition

We kept a Calor as backup and for bbq. In the end dumped the Calor and fitted a bbq point then bbq lives in gas locker.

No apologies, everything is endlessly repeated on here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Post Script.

Back home now.

2 weeks since we filled up, in that time we have fridged, cooked and had some heat, the gauge is now red - just about empty.

That heating, just a few hours in the evening, makes one hell of a difference.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013

If you run out you can get a hose connection so you can run off a local bottle of gas.
Someone on here will know where you get them from. :Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yup Brian - December started off with 2 x 6kg full = 22L - spent a week travelling through France and Spain - it was cold, heating on virtually the minute we parked up - to Portugal where we would be on a site with hook up. Before going to the site we filled up - we had used 18L.

On site basically only cooking was done on gas and we were nowhere near empty when we left at the end of Feb. We hadn't need to fill up again meanwhile.

I'll have a look in a minute and see how it went from there - but it is really noticeable the difference the heating makes, cos it wasn't anywhere near as cold on the way back (although we had the heating and water on whenever we needed or wanted to) and I think we only used one bottle in that last fortnight stopping on aires.

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
lpg

just a question how does lpg compare on calorific value compared to butane or propane
does the heating get as warm on lpg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
You needed heating on?:Eeek:

Didn't Mrs Hilldweller keep you warm?:winky:

Welcome back both:thumb:

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
just a question how does lpg compare on calorific value compared to butane or propane

Yes! as long as it's running at the right pressure in the first place.

Both butane and propane are LPG. The sort we buy at the pump for our Gaslow etc bottles is a mix of those 2 gases. It gets a different ppn of each depending on the temperature because since prop freezes at a lower temp, they stick a bit more of it in in the winter and a bit less in the summer.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
8 weeks in morocco running every thing on gas heating water for showers fridge and cooking
We crossed over with 1 full and 1 half empty
Filled 1 in marakesh with propane

So I think we used in total 55 litres in 8 weeks

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
If you run out you can get a hose connection so you can run off a local bottle of gas.
Someone on here will know where you get them from. :Smile:

Im told that on this camp site (Spain) a guy comes round in his van and rent's out his gas bottles
( dont have to purchase the bottles as were forced to by Calor in the UK) so you can connect his bottle up to your GasLow refill system using your special adaptor hose ..you got Gas:Smile::Smile: without

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
At Newark from Friday to Monday with the heating on most of the time plus fridge and cooking, we used 11kg. I love our Gaslow!

Alan

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ball Park Answer
Propane aprox 46MJ/kg
Butane aprox 45Mj/kg

LPG is a generic term and is usually a mix of the two in varying proportions often changed seasonally as one has a lower freezing point than the other

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We put a moroccan 12kg bottle on the van on the 8th of Febuary ,

Fridge has been on 24/7 cooking , heating water ,and heating through Spain n France, ::bigsmile:

Only had 3 days of leccy in that time cos it was included in the price and ......

we are still using the same cylinder , , cost us 130dirhams ( £10 ) complete (refill £3.50 ?):thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back