Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We left England on the 3rd of September and meandered down France, Spain and Portugal, back to Spain and then back to Motorhome Friends in the Algarve, the most wonderful friendly site ever.

We have seen the swallows return from Africa and now going to follow them back to Blighty. We will do the journey nice and steady and hopefully meet up with Mel and Chris (Heyupluv) enroute and also call at my sisters near to Bergerac.

No firm plans and no deadlines we just love this motorhoming and retirement lark, the number of beautiful people we have met from all european countries has been heartwarming.

Forget the last couple of years at work just do it

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Best thing RM did for me, medically retire me, able to do and go anywhere we want and even now in the best campsite in Portugal. :thumb:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Yes, retirement is wonderful - but different for us. We retired getting on for nine years ago, and found the land on which we have developed Parc Verger. Since then we have met many lovely people who have enriched our lives. Seems to us that it does not matter if you are travelling or static, the main thing is to keep active and enjoying whatever you are doing.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Glad your enjoying it Alan I only have 19 years to go unles they change the retirement age :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Some topics should not be openly posted where they can be seen by working people.:ROFLMAO:

I would like to thank you for going to work, it's your PAYE that has just paid my OAP :thumb:
See, some of us do care:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
We left England on the 3rd of September and meandered down France, Spain and Portugal, back to Spain and then back to Motorhome Friends in the Algarve, the most wonderful friendly site ever.

We have seen the swallows return from Africa and now going to follow them back to Blighty. We will do the journey nice and steady and hopefully meet up with Mel and Chris (Heyupluv) enroute and also call at my sisters near to Bergerac.

No firm plans and no deadlines we just love this motorhoming and retirement lark, the number of beautiful people we have met from all european countries has been heartwarming.

My God......you have been out of the UK for more than the allowed 3/6 months.

All manner of official s**t will descend upon your return :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Yes, retirement is wonderful - but different for us. We retired getting on for nine years ago, and found the land on which we have developed Parc Verger. Since then we have met many lovely people who have enriched our lives. Seems to us that it does not matter if you are travelling or static, the main thing is to keep active and enjoying whatever you are doing.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Then Munchie moves in, Shifty visits..........
Bang goes the neighbourhood.

Last edited:

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
:)

Hello my friends. ...

nice and safe trip home...see you in November. ...

Pedro & Mireilli

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Then Munchie moves in, Shifty visits..........
Bang goes the neighbourhood.

Oi!!! Iwill have you know we bring a certain sense of ambience and class (lower) to the site. (I have apologised for shifty) :Cool:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Dony know where your coming from, Laneside...:RollEyes:

I have been retired 30 years and I`m working a bloody sight harder now than when I was at work... :Sad:::bigsmile:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I couldn't agree more.
I've been retired for 11 years now. I only wish I could have had the cash to do it earlier.:winky:

Passing the stage in life of being a wage slave gives you the opportunity to be the person you are instead of the person you often have to be to satisfy the whims of employers and/or customers just to keep the cash rolling in ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Dony know where your coming from, Laneside...:RollEyes:

I have been retired 30 years and I`m working a bloody sight harder now than when I was at work... :Sad:::bigsmile:

So you only worked for about ten years then------lucky bugger :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
It's you lot that have me counting the days to retirement !! It used to be a thing which would happen sometime in the future, on the horizon, in a while.

But now, with the imminent arrival of the MH I begrudge every day where I have to get up and go to work !!

So thanks a lot, hope your satisfied. :ROFLMAO:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It's you lot that have me counting the days to retirement !! It used to be a thing which would happen sometime in the future, on the horizon, in a while.

But now, with the imminent arrival of the MH I begrudge every day where I have to get up and go to work !!

[HI]So thanks a lot, hope your satisfied[/HI]. :ROFLMAO:

You're welcome, don't mention it! :Cool:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Retired recently and loving it, Grandson commented Granddads been skiing 3 times this year, oh the freedom to come and go as you wish.
ps retired from local Government in Dec still haven`t had pension through yet:cry:

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
::bigsmile:I accepted an early retirement package 7 years ago, whilst the pension may not be even a third of my previous earnings the quality of my life has increased millions of %. Best thing I ever did, whilst I am busy I do have a life and chores of my own choosing. :roflmto: Lots of people said I should work to the bitter end and get a full pension etc etc etc and put money aside for my old age, I decided that by the time I reach gov't pensionable age I could be dead or too infirm to enjoy life. So I am making sure I spend every single penny of my income and sod old age. :winky:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I couldn't agree more.
I've been retired for 11 years now. I only wish I could have had the cash to do it earlier.:winky:

Passing the stage in life of being a wage slave gives you the opportunity to be the person you are instead of the person you often have to be to satisfy the whims of employers and/or customers just to keep the cash rolling in ::bigsmile:

Originally Posted by Geordies

So thanks a lot, hope your satisfied.

OH goes part time from 1st April. I was forced to retire due to ill heath (surgery that didn't go to plan) in 2012 .... Once we know what our disposable income is I'd like to sell the house and buy a small place we could lock down for the winter then travel to see all the things we always said we would. We never took a gap year so maybe it's time.

I've told my parents we are getting another motorhome but they are very negative about it. Mind they are negative about most things these days. Dad's comment was "Who will be around if we get sick and need you?" I'm a good 2 hours away at present (if it's a clear run down) so it's not as if I'm just round the corner from them. My sister lives abroad so tends to do the seagull type of visit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OH goes part time from 1st April. I was forced to retire due to ill heath (surgery that didn't go to plan) in 2012 .... Once we know what our disposable income is I'd like to sell the house and buy a small place we could lock down for the winter then travel to see all the things we always said we would. We never took a gap year so maybe it's time.

I've told my parents we are getting another motorhome but they are very negative about it. Mind they are negative about most things these days. Dad's comment was "Who will be around if we get sick and need you?" I'm a good 2 hours away at present (if it's a clear run down) so it's not as if I'm just round the corner from them. My sister lives abroad so tends to do the seagull type of visit.
Difficult one this ... I do empathise. I have an 88 year old Mum and whilst I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters, none of them look after her 'properly' if she needs it. She's very fit and active so doesn't ask them to do much but they aren't really that bothered ... one sister lives about 40 miles away, the other siblings are all within about 3 miles of her. She knows that I make sure her finances are running okay so she doesn't have to worry about paying bills etc, and sort out things for her flat which she bought last year (ex-council). When she was going through the purchase of the flat unfortunately it coincided with us being in France for 7 weeks so I asked my brother to just finish it all off for her (nothing major to do, just take her to sign the contract and send the money to the solicitor to pay for it as I'd sorted out everything else), but because my brother was such a bl**dy idiot, he started to insist on this being done and that (totally unnecessary!) which delayed everything so when we got back it was still being sorted out. We were at home for a month then away for 4 weeks in Ireland which meant that the contracts exchange and completion was to take place when we were away once more! But then my brother started up again - to say he was a bl**dy pain in the ar*e about it all is an extreme understatement - he upset her massively (£30+ of phone calls back to the UK on ONE night from me to try to calm things down!) so it then got delayed until we came back from Ireland and I managed to arrange for the completion the following week ... at last!

The same brother and his wife have just spent nearly 3 months in New Zealand and hardly bothered with my Mum at all ... not even at Christmas or New Year!

My hubby's step dad is in his 70s and his wife is 83 (more like a spring chicken though! ::bigsmile: ) but we don't have to do quite so much for them as his wife has 4 kids, one of whom does all sorts of odd jobs (I think he prefers being there than at his own home! :Doh:) but it is still a consideration when we go away out of the UK especially since its only just over a year since he had cancer of the jaw and a major operation.

If we could we'd probably move to France, or at least have a bolt hole there, but we can't really spend the time there to warrant it.

Parents can be 'demanding', even without realising it ... I assume yours have support where they are anyway? Friends, neighbours, doctor, social services etc? If so, then obviously they would help out if needs be, if not then I assume they don't need it to any great extent. Sometimes you have to be a bit 'selfish' otherwise you'd never do anything for yourself.:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back