Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Can someone advise me if any of these would be any good? As I need another battery for when go wild camping in a few weeks time. The wife got a 3 day dog agility show to go to and it's in a field with no hook up etc, it's just after we get our 1st m/h. I am hoping to get solar later on and was hoping one of these batteries would suffice for the time being.

Many thanks:Smile:

OP
OP
Builder147

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
oops missing links

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
[HI]Can someone advise me if any of these would be any good?[/HI] As I need another battery for when go wild camping in a few weeks time. The wife got a 3 day dog agility show to go to and it's in a field with no hook up etc, it's just after we get our 1st m/h. I am hoping to get solar later on and was hoping one of these batteries would suffice for the time being.

that depends what 'any of these' are ? :winky:

Ooops...crossed posts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
1st one, yes.

Traction battery anyday.

Not sure if the calcium battery has any special charging needs that your onboard lead acid battery charger cant provide.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You could buy 3 of these Broken Link Removed for the price of 1 of the traction s --Cannot knock the traction batts but I would go for 2 from the link and save the extra cash :winky: more amps less money -should last 5 yrs you may get a little longer from the traction but less amps - or you could just buy one -that should give you 3/4 days wilding depending on use
terry

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Will they fit in where you want them, and can you lift them into place as they are both seriously big and heavy. Apart from that plenty of power but might not mix very well if you have one installed already.

Martin

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Can someone advise me if any of these would be any good? As I need another battery for when go wild camping in a few weeks time. The wife got a 3 day dog agility show to go to and it's in a field with no hook up etc, it's just after we get our 1st m/h. I am hoping to get solar later on and was hoping one of these batteries would suffice for the time being.

The first one seems a very good deal. What looks like a genuine traction battery for not much more than a similar amp leisure one. Especially for the deep cycle usage you're intending.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it appears calcium batteries need a higher voltage (14.4v to 15.4v) for complete charge and your standard onboard charger (13.6v) cant provide the higher voltage so premature failure could occure.

OP
OP
Builder147

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Many thanks for your comments:thumb: it is much appreciated:Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just be aware that adding such big batteries very quickly eats up your payload capacity. VOSA are stopping and weighing motorhomes and horseboxes at the side of the road. if over your plated weight, you will be fined and wont be able to continue until the van weighs less. this may well mean leaving those big heavy batteries at the side of the road

i was talking to somebody the other day who was stopped on the M27 driving a horsebox set up for 4 horses. problem was with kit, 4 people and 4 horses they were well overweight. they had to phone round and get a friend to come out with another box to transfer a horse to. I cant remember exactly what they said they were fined, but it wasnt cheap.

motorhomes are exactly the same and worse in many cases as the converters try to keep them under below HGV weights. this only allows a very small load margin. even some uprated to 3700kg only have a small payload. its therefore very important to take your van to a weighbridge and weigh it as if going off on holiday. this shocks many newbies

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I have 2 of those Lucas branded ones and they are fantastic.
we used to get 2 nights out of the 80ahr gel bettery fitted on the motorhome from new I purchased 2 of the us12vxc batteries from our local forklift supplier and with an 80 watt solar panel to top them up off grid we have gone 2 weeks without getting anywhere near to running out of power.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
i got a pair of these i was recommended them

could have spent less or more however good revues and im using them with 2 solar panels, , i would ask about solar panels and chargers when you think of going down that road, ,,
Broken Link Removed

good luck,

OP
OP
Builder147

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
could have spent less or more however good revues and im using them with 2 solar panels, , i would ask about solar panels and chargers when you think of going down that road, ,,
Broken Link Removed

good luck,

Many thanks for the link geo:Smile:, How do you find them? from your experience? I'll tell you what we would use it for mainly. All of what I will quote are for worst case scenarios, day time + eve would be for water heater 30mins, maybe a bit more, 5hrs tv/skybox, heater, dep on time of year, average (just guessing) 5hrs! I don't really know.:RollEyes: led lights in the evening max 4hrs, probably 3 lights on all the time. These are just my assumptions, I am just guessing here as we are very new to all this:Smile: I know we are all different, but do you think the batteries would cope with what I have stated?

Many thanks :Smile:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Why not get solar panels now instead of adding all that weight with extra batteries? :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back