Should the water taste like Germolene? (2 Viewers)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Sue and I have just got back from the first couple of days away in our brand new Bailey, and pretty much everything was great. The MH had (touch wood) no faults we could find, everything worked as it should, we stayed on a super site (C&CC Hereford) with immaculate facilities and friendly staff, the fishing at the site was brilliant (several Perch to over 2 1/2 lb) but one thing was odd and that was the coffee tasted strongly of Germolene!

I guess that its the new plastic watertank that's to blame and once we started using bottled water everything was fine, but the question is will it always be undrinkable, will it improve in time as the taste leeches out of the tank or should I treat the tank with something like, as was suggested to us Milton tablets?

Cheers,

Bob

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
The water from our tank is fine, but then it was not new when we had it. Maybe plenty of flushes to clear it of smells. Some recommend cheap cola, other water purification tablets. Some people don't drink from their tank on principle and only drink bottled water. Certainly plenty do drink from the tank so stick with it.:thumb:

Wyn

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Sue and I have just got back from the first couple of days away in our brand new Bailey, and pretty much everything was great. The MH had (touch wood) no faults we could find, everything worked as it should, we stayed on a super site (C&CC Hereford) with immaculate facilities and friendly staff, the fishing at the site was brilliant (several Perch to over 2 1/2 lb) but one thing was odd and that was the coffee tasted strongly of Germolene!

I guess that its the new plastic watertank that's to blame and once we started using bottled water everything was fine, but the question is will it always be undrinkable, will it improve in time as the taste leeches out of the tank or should I treat the tank with something like, as was suggested to us Milton tablets?

Cheers,

Bob
We use a nature pure filter system, it makes great tasting water without any chemicals.

We have problems because of old tank, not new tank....

... We brought our van when it was 18 years old so we wouldn't trust the water to drink even though we have cleaned and disinfected the system. Brushing teeth and washing is fine though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Bob, Great to hear all ok with your new Bailey. Regards the water taste I use food grade hose only to top up.
Having seen what some people use to fill up with I am surprised they are still alive next day! If the method of getting the water to the tank was ok then the 2nd area to check is the tank itself.If you have top access to the tank you can check if any bits of plastic waste are in there and remove them. Put a lot of fresh clean water through the tank. Fill it and empty it a number of times.
Having said all this my wife insists she can taste plastic whatever I do. (I cannot) Good luck
Cheers
Bernie:thumb:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont leave milton steriliser in the system as it will ruin the water heater. there are various other options and yes the taste of antiseptic can linger for quite some time. having been doing this for many years we have learnt to never ever drink the water from the tank but use fresh bottled or have a clear plastic container that we top up daily from a domestic tap. far too many pathogens that can live in a water tank and plastic piping

we still sterilise the system with naturepure or homebrew type tablets every few months to ensure that the water is clean in the tank

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"

Cheers,

Bob

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
THROW ABOUT TWENTY STERADENT TABLETS IN THE TANK AND TAKE THE VAN FOR A RUN. THIS WILL FLUSH IT OUT. IF NOT YOUR FALSE TEETH WILL ALWAYS BE CLEAN.FUN!!!FUN!!!FUN!!!

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
Can not beet a Nature pure water purifier it has a separate tap so you only use that tap for your drinking water, all other water we use comes through the main tap fitted to m/home .They both draw water from the same tank have never had a problem with this system.

The Nature pure purifier is more than just a filter they are fairly expensive compared to other filters but are worth the extra expence as you dont worry about were the water supply comes from as going through the purifier makes it safe to drink. :thumb:

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
If you know a friendly publican ask for some of the pipe cleaner they use for the beer taps. We have used this on our caravans and both our motorhomes with excellent results. Add it to the water tank, top with water, allow to stand for a few minutes then draw it through all the water pipes via the taps. Flush well with clean water a couple of times. Works well for us.:Smile:

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
I'm just confused how anyone would know what Germolene tastes like...:whatthe:

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
You weren't putting germolene in your coffee were you easy mistake bit like putting the milk in the cupboard instead of the fridge:ROFLMAO:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We use a brita filter jug, cheap cheerful and works. :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It probably just needs rinsing through a few times. I would advise against Milton as it can apparently damage your boiler, and it can add off tastes of its own. The chlorine in tap water will kill off any bugs, and your taste is almost certainly chemical, not bacterial in origin.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had several new vans and never had any problem with the water tank, but we always give them a good flush through a few times beforehand, so as you've gone straight away and used your van that may be why you have the taste. If it continues though get back in touch with your dealer and get it investigated as it certainly shouldn't do so.

We have drunk the water from the tank in all our motorhomes since 1999 (second hand ones and new) and are still here to tell the tale! ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back