Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
I just got ready for an oil and filter change on my 2008 Boxer when I found that my previous Peugeot sump plug tool did not work , it was too small. I have tried all the tools I have without success so the ten mile run to warm up the oil was wasted.
Does anyone know the type of tool needed , is it square or maybe a hex type?

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have just had a further grovel underneath with a torch and as you say it is a Hex type hole. Just going for a trawl on EBay to find one. My previous search found suggestions for square types which is just wrong.
Ta for your help.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
My van is a 2008 3 litre Peugeot( the same as a Fiat) 160 bhp engine so it should be the same. I just got a 12 mm Hex to socket adapter from EBay for about £9 so will report if I have any more problems.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
massively expensive tool to remove the sump plug. a whopping £3.51:ROFLMAO:
Broken Link Removed

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Just had my pug serviced and an addition to the bill, " Replace oil drain plug ".

On enquiring, I was met with the reply that "Sump plug recommended to be replaced at each and every oil change "

Never heard of that one but as they were very economical with the rest of the job I let it slide. Have you lads heard of this ? :Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
normally you change the copper washer each time but some manufacturers dont use them and the plug is a softer steel to allow for distortion. so yes i have heard it before

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A copper washer needs to be in an awful state before it won't provide a seal and I've never replaced one yet.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
3 litre with engine guards removed
CA_07011320425643-L.jpg

CA_07011320484204-L.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Just had my pug serviced and an addition to the bill, " Replace oil drain plug ".

On enquiring, I was met with the reply that "Sump plug recommended to be replaced at each and every oil change "

Never heard of that one but as they were very economical with the rest of the job I let it slide. Have you lads heard of this ? :Smile:
Is it something to do with them being magnetic to collect bits of swarf, which then get removed with the plug?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No not on X250's
I've not encountered a magnetic plug since my vauxhall Carlton lol

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Make sure you have a very manly filter removal tool !!
Got the oil sump plug off easily with the correct tool so how did you know the oil filter would be difficult? I used a chain type strap but with so little space and the fact that the filter must have been put on by a gorilla ,the filter got holed with my efforts. Eventually I got it off after covering my hand with hot engine oil and was thankful that I had ordered the correct replacement filter otherwise I would have been stuck for a couple off days while getting the right one.
AND then I did the easy job...er not! The air filter.
Which piggin engine designer makes an air filter holder held on by screws? What is wrong with clips? It took me an hour to soak the screws with WD 40 and eventually got them to unscrew. However in the process I damaged the plastic lid so it was a real pain to get the lid back on with two screws and one screw and a small wing nut to hold the lid down. Now trying to get hold of a new top from breakers yards as I bet you can only buy the whole air filter housing at vast expense !
I looked at the fuel filter housing and decided to leave changing the fuel filter until I can guarantee 12 hours of warm daylight to do it in.
At least I could see that the old air filter was dirty so did need changing.
Now back to holidays!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
:roflmto:I new because I have done it
I had to chase around shops on a Sunday to find something man enough. I settled on a 1/2" drive strap wrench.
Yes the air filter housing is poor and indeed mine has one fixing snapped off completely (not by me) but the previous owner was never told of this by whichever garage did it. I have all receipts so know who to avoid but really the last service must be held accountable for not advising of it.
A complete new housing is £94 on ebay or best offer but I know they wont go below £84
Enjoy your holiday :Cool:
You don't need 12 hrs for the fuel filter? who have you been listening to

EDIT
This is similar to the one I chose, this allows you to employ an extension bar and ratchet
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
It was just the position of the fuel filter that put me off investigating doing it, I just assumed it would be a pig to do as all the other jobs. Maybe you could advise me? I was also thinking of changing the headlamp bulbs for more powerful ones but the access looks impossible without removing loads of other stuff....any advice on that too.
Thanks for the link to the oil filter remover tool, I was unsure which would be best so have not bought anything yet.
I will join you in the queue on Ebay looking for a new air filter top, mine has two broken screw hole things

Last edited:
OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Maybe this will help?
Broken Link Removed
Thanks for that link, I can see why they call this forum motorhome fun!
Any guidance as to where the three headlight bolts are please?
As you seem to be a man that " knows things", I don't suppose you know the correct white touch up colour for my van. Is it the same as the cab colour or as I suspect this is another can of worms I am opening?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Once you remove the plastic trim above and below the headlight you will see the bolts.
Be carefull with the bottom one as this also adjusts headlight beam hight. The nut that the bolt screws into can wind in or out so make note of where it is now so you keep it the same.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I give up! why go on ternet???!

HALFORDS SELL 'EM!!!

Drive! Park! search! locate! BUY!!! How bloody easy is that?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Individual socket set items cost a fortune there that's why.
Not everyone wants a whole set.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
If no hex key handy then try using a 12mm bolt and a couple of nuts with a normal socket set.

Weld or hammer up the bolt thread to stop the nut unscrewing. Cheap and works!

Also you can reuse the sump plug copper washer if you anneal it first.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
[HI]Individual socket set items cost a fortune [/HI]

£2? £3? £4? £5? £6? How parsimonious? If you want it now! get it now!
You don't have to buy a set, individual items are available, I needed a size 40 star socket to remove the seat over the leisure battery, from memory under £4, didn't have to buy a set!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Got the oil sump plug off easily with the correct tool so how did you know the oil filter would be difficult? I used a chain type strap but with so little space and the fact that the filter must have been put on by a gorilla ,the filter got holed with my efforts. Eventually I got it off after covering my hand with hot engine oil and was thankful that I had ordered the correct replacement filter otherwise I would have been stuck for a couple off days while getting the right one.
AND then I did the easy job...er not! The air filter.
Which piggin engine designer makes an air filter holder held on by screws? What is wrong with clips? It took me an hour to soak the screws with WD 40 and eventually got them to unscrew. However in the process I damaged the plastic lid so it was a real pain to get the lid back on with two screws and one screw and a small wing nut to hold the lid down. Now trying to get hold of a new top from breakers yards as I bet you can only buy the whole air filter housing at vast expense !
I looked at the fuel filter housing and decided to leave changing the fuel filter until I can guarantee 12 hours of warm daylight to do it in.
At least I could see that the old air filter was dirty so did need changing.
Now back to holidays!

Look what I found including a filter and post free :thumb: EDIT paypal too
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread