Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello

I have seen an advert for a gas powered generator fitted to motorhomes, not asked about spec yet or prices, does anybody have any experience?

Do they literally run off the LPG bottles. or am I missing something?

I have tried to search through old threads but cant see anything recent, my apologies if I am repeating things here

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
bottle or fixed tank depending on regulator and calorifier/vapouriser.

Many suitcase generators (Honda, Kipor etc) run from a bottle and use gas vapour.
Fixed generators usually run off a fixed tank and use liquid gas

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
bottle or fixed tank depending on regulator and calorifier/vapouriser.

Many suitcase generators (Honda, Kipor etc) run from a bottle and use gas vapour.
Fixed generators usually run off a fixed tank and use liquid gas

I am considering having one fixed (in an outside locker I presume) on my MH. will it need its own gas tank? gets a bit messy if it does

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
No reason why you should not pipe to the genny from your bottles if you want to.

Do bear in mind that while some manufacturers actually produce and sell gas conversions for their generators once a gas conversion is fitted it nullifies the warranty - that is quite some consideration with Honda which is a 5 year warranty.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Broken Link Removed

This is a link to the advert for Hambilton Engineering, I am booked in with them for a habitation service next week and am going to ask them for details and a price to fit their refillable gas cylinders and the generator shown (Electrolux)

I might be scared off by price yet, but this package seems to answer all my needs for varied use (on / off sites)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Electrolux prices appear to be higher than Conrad - Andersons + fitting - start at £2700 and reach the giddy heights of £7100 for the top of the range one :Eeek: makes a Honda suitcase 2.0i cheap at around £1400 with a 5 year warranty

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Electrolux prices appear to be higher than Conrad - Andersons + fitting - start at £2700 and reach the giddy heights of £7100 for the top of the range one :Eeek: makes a Honda suitcase 2.0i cheap at around £1400 with a 5 year warranty

Maybe a tad higher than I had expected or am prepared to pay, I already have a suitcase genny, does a great job, trying to tidy up the garage though and move some weight around

many thanks, a non starter I now think

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe a tad higher than I had expected or am prepared to pay, I already have a suitcase genny, does a great job, trying to tidy up the garage though and move some weight around

many thanks, a non starter I now think

sorry, i thought you meant a normal 240v generator.

You could get your suitcase generator gas converted to run off bottles for around £100

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hello

I have seen an advert for a gas powered generator fitted to motorhomes, not asked about spec yet or prices, does anybody have any experience?

Do they literally run off the LPG bottles. or am I missing something?

I have tried to search through old threads but cant see anything recent, my apologies if I am repeating things here

It depends, a small LPG generator can run off standard bottles, at least in warmish weather. Larger ones will need more gas than a bottle can vaporise, so will typically require a liquid feed which is will then vaporise itself. This can't be run off the same pipework as the fridge/cooker, as the outlet needs to be at the bottom of the tank, not the top.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It depends, a small LPG generator can run off standard bottles, at least in warmish weather. Larger ones will need more gas than a bottle can vaporise, so will typically require a liquid feed which is will then vaporise itself. This can't be run off the same pipework as the fridge/cooker, as the outlet needs to be at the bottom of the tank, not the top.

which of course is why a large engine LPG conversion uses liquid gas taken from the bottom of the tank. :thumb:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I thought there must be a good reason why we did not all have one

Now see price will stop most of us, then it does not sound practical for standard sized MH's

Thanks for the info

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I thought there must be a good reason why we did not all have one

Now see price will stop most of us, then it does not sound practical for standard sized MH's

Thanks for the info

It would be easy enough on mine, as it has an LPG engine, so already has a large tank with liquid take off. However, we have low electricity usage, so the solar seems more than enough. The only thing to tempt me would be to put in a really big one that could run the air conditioning.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It depends,[HI] a small LPG generator can run off standard bottles, at least in warmish weather.[/HI] Larger ones will need more gas than a bottle can vaporise, so will typically require a liquid feed which is will then vaporise itself. This can't be run off the same pipework as the fridge/cooker, as the [HI]outlet needs to be at the bottom of the tank, not the top.[/HI]

Correct.. it all depends what you call 'small'..

for example.. I had a 4kw LPG genny on our RV that run off vapour..
It had it's own vapour line with the regulator near the tank..

Liquid tapping points on LPG tanks are usually on top of the tank and have a liquid syphon tube If tapped from the bottom they can pick up rust and dirt.

It's not possible to identify whether its a liquid or vapour take off point just by looking at it.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back