First time in France a few questions (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
We are going over to France for the first time and were going to play it by ear in terms of places to stay. We have taken on board what people say about Aires but we will want to stay at some of the camp sites. My question is can we just turn up at this time of the year, we leave beginning of April, or do we have to book up beforehand. We may just want to stay a couple of nights and move on. Also we are worried about being there over Easter and weekends when it is liable to be a bit busier.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, we're really looking forward to it. ::bigsmile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i doubt very much u need to book this time of year like u have planned play it by ear but the aires of france would have been a good addition to you info

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
no need to book anything this time of yearwe use a mixture of aires and sites just depends whats closest to where we want to be or where we wind up at the best time to stop

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
not sure why you would need a site as the aires have fresh water, waste dump and usually EHU point, for recharging batteries sometimes even free leccy. They are often sited in town or on the edge of town so easy to walk into town for shopping etc. We manage 3 weeks at a time and always use aires or wildcamp

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Aires are fine but technically you are not allowed to camp ( i.e. put out a table and chairs )

on sites we use either ACSI or camping cheque sites ahve never booked at any time right up to early July.

just go where you fancy or chase the sun, if you arrive at a site that is full there will be one within easy travelling no problem. that has happened only once to us in the last 4 years doing 6 -8 weeks at a time.
equally turn up at a site and have quick look, if you dont like move on:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Just take the essentials, Teabags and HP sauce, and enough for a first meal. Then explore the markets, get it fresh! Lot of Brits make the mistake of loading up with "used to food"
The joy of going Overseas is exploring the Country! sights! sounds! AND TASTE!!!

Have a good trip!:thumb:

Upvote 0

TravellingCliffs

Free Member
May 15, 2008
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 1999
ACSI Book

If you are thinking of going on to some sites you would do well to invest in an ACSI book from Vicarious books. They will post it out to you, really good service and it pays for itself within a couple of nights on site. I agree with the previous message in that the Aires de service de camping cars are generally excellent and again there is a book, All the Aires, available from vicarious books. My wife and I look after part of a site near Perpignan from April until September, plenty of room until July then 8 weeks of madness, full to the brim. If you want to know anything else feel free to email or IM me :thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
http://www.calendriergratuit.fr/vacances-scolaires-2013-2014.html

Here are the holidays in France at the time of year you want to go.
We have 3 "zones" , each one has different dates of hols. According to the place you go you will have to check which Saturday will be busy... especially on the way to mountains or sea side. I would avoid camp sites on week ends and use aires instead but then all week should be better to use camp sites without having to book .
Now if you feel a bit uneasy with going without booking I can give you my mobile number in a PM and phone the camp site you have chosen to check if any pitch left.

"Après la classe" means after school day

Wish you happy hols in France!!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
not sure why you would need a site as the aires have fresh water, waste dump and usually EHU point, for recharging batteries sometimes even free leccy. They are often sited in town or on the edge of town so easy to walk into town for shopping etc. We manage 3 weeks at a time and always use aires or wildcamp

As this is our first time we don't know what to expect. Will probably be more confident next time.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Aires are fine but technically you are not allowed to camp ( i.e. put out a table and chairs )

on sites we use either ACSI or camping cheque sites ahve never booked at any time right up to early July.

just go where you fancy or chase the sun, if you arrive at a site that is full there will be one within easy travelling no problem. that has happened only once to us in the last 4 years doing 6 -8 weeks at a time.
equally turn up at a site and have quick look, if you dont like move on:thumb:

Are there minimum night stays you need to adhere to?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No need to book but a lot of campsites will be closed in April. You just need a book and study it for places open.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
If you are thinking of going on to some sites you would do well to invest in an ACSI book from Vicarious books. They will post it out to you, really good service and it pays for itself within a couple of nights on site. I agree with the previous message in that the Aires de service de camping cars are generally excellent and again there is a book, All the Aires, available from vicarious books. My wife and I look after part of a site near Perpignan from April until September, plenty of room until July then 8 weeks of madness, full to the brim. If you want to know anything else feel free to email or IM me :thumb:

Thanks a lot we have the ACSI book and all the Aires. Is it OK just to stay one or two nights? :Smile:

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Are there minimum night stays you need to adhere to?

nope. they will ask how many nights. we usually say " not sure"! if its more than one night. if intend to stay only one night you will need to pay when u arrive, after that they like you to settle the night before you leave.

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
If you are on the move, make sure that you have enough fuel on a Sunday as many of the filling stations are closed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
http://www.calendriergratuit.fr/vacances-scolaires-2013-2014.html

Here are the holidays in France at the time of year you want to go.
We have 3 "zones" , each one has different dates of hols. According to the place you go you will have to check which Saturday will be busy... especially on the way to mountains or sea side. I would avoid camp sites on week ends and use aires instead but then all week should be better to use camp sites without having to book .
Now if you feel a bit uneasy with going without booking I can give you my mobile number in a PM and phone the camp site you have chosen to check if any pitch left.

"Après la classe" means after school day

Wish you happy hols in France!!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Thanks very much, we're taking a beginners class in French at the moment, so looking forward to trying it out. Is the WIFI ok in most areas?:thumb:

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)

I agree completely with Wildman. I found that most sites are not close to town/village centres and therefore nowhere to cycle/walk to.
Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy it :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Never booked, no problem last year when we were, unusually, in France in August, though the Med might be very busy.
In April no problem, some sites may be closed though at the beginning of the month, check ACSI.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thanks very much, we're taking a beginners class in French at the moment, so looking forward to trying it out. Is the WIFI ok in most areas?:thumb:

To be very honest I have no idea ... I guess it all depends on how good the signal is .... and apart from Mac Donald's I can't tell you where you'll be able to have good signal

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are going over to France for the first time and were going to play it by ear in terms of places to stay. We have taken on board what people say about Aires but we will want to stay at some of the camp sites. My question is can we just turn up at this time of the year, we leave beginning of April, or do we have to book up beforehand. We may just want to stay a couple of nights and move on. Also we are worried about being there over Easter and weekends when it is liable to be a bit busier.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, we're really looking forward to it. ::bigsmile:

You should be fine. I've never booked one, even in August on the Med, although you will be turned away at a few before finding a spot if you do that.

Upvote 0

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Hi,

We came away for the first time last April on our European Tour starting with France and from experience I would suggest you just go site to site as you like certainly no prebooking at this time of year.However like you say some sites may get busier for Easter they tend to be the ones by the sea or with lots of activities for kids e.g Yelloh Sites Hope you've got your Acsi discount card and book very very handy and at least you can phone ahead the day before if necessary to check for vacancies

Happy Travels

Soapy & Tutti aka Dave & Anne-Marie :) :)

Upvote 0

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
We did France for the first time in our motorhome last year and loved it. We have previously used a caravan in France.

We went to Normandy in early July and had no problems finding spaces at aires or campsites. We used Municipals as I think they are great value.

I used all the advice already given on this thread and just asked on here which was excellent. I would also point out that France is a civilised country which has a real dinner break between 12 and 2 and is closed on Sundays, like really closed! so do be prepared.

We got a caxton card for the euros and I used le french mobile for a bit of internet, however I am going to purchase a europa sim as we intend three visits this year.

all the aires book is a must have along with this website

Link Removed

have a great time

Steve

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
France is a motorhome friendly place

If you like Aires get the book from https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Aires-and-Stopovers/
We are not really Aires people but I would recommend the one at Embry and Gravelines, both within one hour of Calais.
If you go further afield visit Bob and Di at Parcverger - http://www.parcverger.com/
There is usually always a funsters or two there.
Owners Bob and Di are very helpful and if you have a problem will always go out of their way to help you out. At least they have for us (and I am sure for many others).
France is a very motorhome friendly country.
We have found the people welcoming, the roads quiet and have never had a problem getting on a site.
I am sure you will have a great trip.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
We did France for the first time in our motorhome last year and loved it. We have previously used a caravan in France.

We went to Normandy in early July and had no problems finding spaces at aires or campsites. We used Municipals as I think they are great value.

I used all the advice already given on this thread and just asked on here which was excellent. I would also point out that France is a civilised country which has a real dinner break between 12 and 2 and is closed on Sundays, like really closed! so do be prepared.

We got a caxton card for the euros and I used le french mobile for a bit of internet, however I am going to purchase a europa sim as we intend three visits this year.

all the aires book is a must have along with this website

Link Removed

have a great time

Steve

Thanks, what is le French mobile? And if you already have a contract for your phone can you use Europa sim in your 'phone?

Upvote 0

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
If you like Aires get the book from https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Aires-and-Stopovers/
We are not really Aires people but I would recommend the one at Embry and Gravelines, both within one hour of Calais.
If you go further afield visit Bob and Di at Parcverger - http://www.parcverger.com/
There is usually always a funsters or two there.
Owners Bob and Di are very helpful and if you have a problem will always go out of their way to help you out. At least they have for us (and I am sure for many others).
France is a very motorhome friendly country.
We have found the people welcoming, the roads quiet and have never had a problem getting on a site.
I am sure you will have a great trip.:thumb::thumb:

We're hoping to get as far down as Nice and Avignon. My wife was there before on the train and loved the area. Thanks for your suggestions.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back