Vango kela (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
That's it,going to bite the bullet and order one as soon as I get paid again!Has anyone got one and would like to pass on thier thoughts or any tips regarding pitching etc?Are they as easy to put up as they are made out?How far from the side of the van do the bag pegs want to go?Any help really appreciated as I don't want to look a pr*t on my first outing!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That's it,going to bite the bullet and order one as soon as I get paid again!Has anyone got one and would like to pass on thier thoughts or any tips regarding pitching etc?Are they as easy to put up as they are made out?How far from the side of the van do the bag pegs want to go?Any help really appreciated as I don't want to look a pr*t on my first outing!

There's a video here:

http://www.inflatabletentsonline.co...-kela-airbeam-drive-away-awning-standard.html

Looks a nice bit of kit - I'm tempted too :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That's it,going to bite the bullet and order one as soon as I get paid again!Has anyone got one and would like to pass on thier thoughts or any tips regarding pitching etc?Are they as easy to put up as they are made out?How far from the side of the van do the bag pegs want to go?Any help really appreciated as [HI]I don't want to look a pr*t on my first outing![/HI]

why should you be any different... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

besides.. it keeps the curtain twitches entertained... :roflmto:

just don't pitch up beside a tugger :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi We have one which we bought and used last year.

I am a 69 yo lady and can manage to erect the Kela on my own if necessary, my husband is disabled.
We have used it attached and free standing without problem.

We had a faulty pressure regulator at first so did not achieve correct inflation pressure but an email to Vango spares soon put that right.

We had a Khyam excelsior in the past but find the Kela much easier and quicker. Khyam is quick to erect but takes an age to peg down and there are a lot of guy lines to fall over.

My vote goes to Kela.
regards Chris

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
Peter just ordered a cargo back last week only got 5/ but got 10/off the bag .if it's 10/ will be orerdering a awnning

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Ovalball
I am sorry I didn't answer your question about the distance from van to pitch your Kela.
When erecting you attach the Kela to your MH first and this determines where to pitch.

If you are attaching to roll out canopy you will probably need a joining kit.

There is not a lot of clearance between the top of our habitation door and the awning joining tunnel so we leave our tunnel a bit slack to minimise the door catching and rubbing.

If you are pitching on gravel or other hard rough surface I advise putting some protection under where the beams meet the ground. We had very windy conditions when we first used ours and the stone chippings on CC site wore the beam base. We now put a square of rubber mat under.

If you need more info please ask.

Regards Chris

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Ovalball
I am sorry I didn't answer your question about the distance from van to pitch your Kela.
When erecting you attach the Kela to your MH first and this determines where to pitch.

If you are attaching to roll out canopy you will probably need a joining kit.

There is not a lot of clearance between the top of our habitation door and the awning joining tunnel so we leave our tunnel a bit slack to minimise the door catching and rubbing.

If you are pitching on gravel or other hard rough surface I advise putting some protection under where the beams meet the ground. We had very windy conditions when we first used ours and the stone chippings on CC site wore the beam base. We now put a square of rubber mat under.

If you need more info please ask.

Regards Chris

Chris
Awning due to arrive on Tuesday.Can I ask a couple of questions please?

Is the footprint exactly the same size as the a waning?So you peg the awning to the shape of the footprint?

Is the bedroom fitted when you pitch the awning and is it easy to remove?

Does the awning carpet peg down and if it does are there holes in the footprint to allow you to do. It's.

Many thanks for any more tips you can offer!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi Yes the footprint is the same so peg to shape. Suggest you peg temporary at first to allow you to adjust when awning is erected. You must peg though or it may take off.

The sleeping compartment is fitted when awning is delivered. If you do not need it you could try and take it out before erecting but it may be easier to part erect and then take it out.
I didn't know this and because of the difficulty getting to the attachment toggles when fully erected, it was a real pain to get out. We don't use the sleeping inner so leave it out.
I put a thin groundsheet under before I peg if we are on hard standing and then a carpet inside.
You cannot peg the inside carpet down as water would get in through pegging points.
Hope this helps.
Chris

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
thanks for this thread i have a porch awning and never realized i could buy a part which would make it possible to use as a drive away so this thread has saved me loads of bucks i was gonna buy a new 1 that allows me to drive-away without taking it all down :Smile:

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
We did a trial run at our local C&CC site last night having replaced our standard "Frame Tent" type awning with the Vango. I have had many tents made from Polyester but was still a little surprised how fragile it appears on a large surface when compared with the more traditional canvas type. But it is half the weight including frame.
Out of the bag it took some sorting as all of the zips were open so first job was to close them.
Then attached the tunnel to the roll out and inserted rear and front pegs prior to inflation.
Erection was readily achieved with a steady pumping action ( what does this remind me of ? )
an a couple of steadying guys pegged down. Inside the bedroom was pre-installed, as this is surplus I removed it, the corner clip are bugger. Lots of Mosquito netting was floating about so we rolled this up.
First impression is :- the attached groundsheet seems fragile ( don't think the CC will like it as it isn't breathable) we will pitch on top of an approved holey one. Could I suppose apply a lawn aerator :)
Both the front and side opening do not fasten at the bottom we may attach Velcro to sort this if necessary.
The supplied pegs will be useless on anything other than grass. I use Coach Screws and an electric drill.

As it then threatened rain we deflated pulled the pegs and chucked everything in the van.
This morning it took about an hour to get most things in the bag. Pump left out.

Hopefully we will next use it in sunnier climes and do a full test. We can't revert to our old awning as this sold in a couple of days on fleabay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back