Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Over the years I have had various bikes from Harley's to Yamaha at present don't have one but that's about to change tomorrow I'm of to the Harley Dealers to get on a bike again can't wait

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I could not resist this:ROFLMAO: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394094943.284690.jpg

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I could not resist this:ROFLMAO:View attachment 23706

Try getting in to this century I bought a Heritage soft tail Classic 6 gears / Abs / 2lt engine / and most important in the years to come il get the same money back tell me any other manufacturer that will gey the same return

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Good luck with the Harley they are marmite
You either love or hate them

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. In 1997 I bought my first Honda Bird.
Sold it 3 years later for the cost price.
In 2k it was replaced .. Sold that one in 2005 for £100 more than I paid.

Went back to the 1996 model after that ( far better MPG, and top end at 184.6mph instead of the 164 from the last model available )
Have three at the moment.. every one of them has a current market value higher than I paid !

Tell you what, put over a million miles on the hardley moving without ANY major work on it and then I will be impressed :thumb:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Tell you what, put over a million miles on the hardley moving without ANY major work on it and then I will be impressed :thumb:
I could be wrong but I don't think the OP was out to impress anyone.
I think he was merely sharing his joy at getting back to doing something he previously enjoyed and (somewhat naively it would appear) thought his fellow MHF members might share in his happiness.
Of course, that's only my opinion and I could well be wrong.
Personally I say fair play to you Pal, crack on.....:thumb:

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980

Went back to the 1996 model after that ( far better MPG, and top end at 184.6mph instead of the 164 from the last model available )
Have three at the moment.. every one of them has a current market value higher than I paid !

Not a million miles but 140000 on a Harley FXR in 10 years, only oil and filter changes every 5000 miles can't be bad. Ashamed to say the Electraglide only has 27000 on it after 10 years.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Funny thing when you mention Harleys people seem to want to get on their soapbox,Horses for courses,I have owned 8 over the years as well as zzr1100's x 2 fjr1300,fj1200,rf900,cbr600,vfr800,gpz600,xv920,xv1100,ducati.Toured all over Europe on the Harleys 2 up and camping gear,covered probably around 200000 miles on them never let down once except for a couple of punctures.Currently got 1200 sportster.The Harleys have such simple engineering I can carry out all my own servicing on them,and they are totally unintimidating to ride.A much used phrase about sums it up."If I have to explain you wouldn't understand"

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not a million miles but 140000 on a Harley FXR in 10 years, only oil and filter changes every 5000 miles can't be bad. Ashamed to say the Electraglide only has 27000 on it after 10 years.

There is no two ways about it, HD have come on in leaps and bounds since 2000, and all my jokes and jibes are really so far out of date nowadays as to be more tongue in cheek than anything else..

But yes, I have more than 40 Birds on the books that I do the servicing on that have WELL over a million miles nowadays.
Semi synth oil and 8000 mile service intervals

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie

Firstly il never do a million miles I'm far do busy to do that also everybody's tastes differ over the years I have been lucky to have owned several bikes from Honda/Yamaha/ BMW/ and of course Harley's the New Bike I will pick up 2014 model Heritage Softtail comes packed with technology and the friendship I have with other Hog Members is fantastic as I said you prefer Honda I don't my original post was to express my excitement of getting a Bike nothing else

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think he was merely sharing his joy at getting back to doing something he previously enjoyed and (somewhat naively it would appear) thought his fellow MHF members might share in his happiness.

Thanks for that and yes my original post was to express the excitement I feel and can't wait for the delivery date But as I said over the years I've had several Bikes various Manufacturers but the smile on my face when I'm on a Harley is priceless

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I really don't think that there's any malice in the Harley ribbing. It's no more than banter, similar to what you get when football teams are mentioned. And if any Harley rider can't take that I'd be very surprised. You ought to try owning a GoldWing, you know the comments, don't see the point, armchair on wheels, might as well have a car etc. Water off a ducks back.:thumb:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I went looking at a Yamaha Virago 750 yesterday. Not ridden a bike since 1991 and I was very nervous. We are in the price negotiation stage now.

I passed my test on a 50cc moped which allowed me to ride any size bike. Of course they have changed it now.

I well remember the examiner telling me to ride round the block and my emergency stop amounted to him jumping out of a bus shelter shouting "Booh!!!"

I promise to take it very modestly and carefully if the deal is done.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
When I bought my 1800cc Suzuki Jaws called it a doorstop:ROFLMAO: if its got the 103ci motor its 1688cc not a 2 litre.
My post was only meant as a leg pull I will buy you a beer if and when we meet:thumb: and for what its worth it does look a nice bike
I have family who are 1% so you can imagine how many I see if I go to a family club night

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I went looking at a Yamaha Virago 750 yesterday. Not ridden a bike since 1991 and I was very nervous. We are in the price negotiation stage now.

I passed my test on a 50cc moped which allowed me to ride any size bike. Of course they have changed it now.

I well remember the examiner telling me to ride round the block and my emergency stop amounted to him jumping out of a bus shelter shouting "Booh!!!"

You could just do an hour with a local Bike Instructor if you haven't ridden for some time....You could also look for a Bikesafe Course in your local area as well...

Both would help with modern riding and confidence..:thumb::thumb:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.

Don't be too worried, you will probably find the 50cc moped had more power and certainly quicker acceleration.
:getmecoat:

Trikeman. :winky:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I live half a mile or so from a Harley dealership http://www.plymouthharley-davidson.co.uk/ but unfortunately I don't have a beard, a bald head or a beer-belly so I don't think they will let me in through the front door. :cry:

Just joking of course but the typical Harley rider does tend to fit a certain image from what I have seen of people going in and out the place. They had an open day there last year and it was like something from the Wild West.

In my motorcycling days I had the image of someone skint.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
When in my Chopper building days, to gain respect you sat on cold garage floors and (as the saying goes) with welder, grinder and files - you got up with tendinitis, arc-eye and piles,,,,,,, you were then a Chopper builder.
:roflmto:

Now you can waltz into a Harley dealers with a large cheque book, choose a OCC lookalike, sign at the bottom of the £30k cheque and away you go - a Chopper rider.......

The 'old school' Choppers were brilliant and just about everyone built their own - some rode like pigs and some didn't. It didn't matter then as it was your 'hog' and everyone respected it, even if you could only afford a rattle can spray job.
Now you see rows of £30k, gleaming, chromed and airbrushed 'choppers' and their middle aged guys leaning on them hoping it doesn't start raining.

Phttt! :Blush:

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
When I bought my 1800cc Suzuki Jaws called it a doorstop:ROFLMAO: if its got the 103ci motor its 1688cc not a 2 litre.
My post was only meant as a leg pull I will buy you a beer if and when we meet:thumb: and for what its worth it does look a nice bike
I have family who are 1% so you can imagine how many I see if I go to a family club night

Yes it's 1690 cc the point I was making is that from 2000 Harley Bikes have made big strides forward with the Mechanics biger and better engines also abs the list goes on this will be my Fith Harley over the years and found them rock solid never had any problems with them I also like all the friends and the fun that goes with the bike and the run outs this year il be going to Thunder in the Glens meet at Aviemore. Which is something else they come from all over Europe

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
When in my Chopper building days, to gain respect you sat on cold garage floors and (as the saying goes) with welder, grinder and files - you got up with tendinitis, arc-eye and piles,,,,,,, you were then a Chopper builder.
:roflmto:

Now you can waltz into a Harley dealers with a large cheque book, choose a OCC lookalike, sign at the bottom of the £30k cheque and away you go - a Chopper rider.......

The 'old school' Choppers were brilliant and just about everyone built their own - some rode like pigs and some didn't. It didn't matter then as it was your 'hog' and everyone respected it, even if you could only afford a rattle can spray job.
Now you see rows of £30k, gleaming, chromed and airbrushed 'choppers' and their middle aged guys leaning on them hoping it doesn't start raining.

Phttt! :Blush:

Possibly but we are not all like that,I have customised pretty much all my bikes to some extent,but especially the Harleys,here is a couple of shots the sportster with some of the stuff I have made,lots in the shed with hand tools and others with friend with access to a welder.The air cleaner is a £3 morrisons saucepan,with some brass sheeting from ebay,the points cover old bit of brass had lying around,the exhausts are hand made as is the handlebars,and various other stuff,helps to pass the winter when nothing else to do.

Attachments

• DSCF3115.jpg
    DSCF3115.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF3117.jpg
    DSCF3117.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF3114.jpg
    DSCF3114.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF3116.jpg
    DSCF3116.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF3093.jpg
    DSCF3093.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Possibly but we are not all like that,I have customised pretty much all my bikes to some extent,but especially the Harleys,here is a couple of shots the sportster with some of the stuff I have made,lots in the shed with hand tools and others with friend with access to a welder.The air cleaner is a £3 morrisons saucepan,with some brass sheeting from ebay,the points cover old bit of brass had lying around,the exhausts are hand made as is the handlebars,and various other stuff,helps to pass the winter when nothing else to do.

Very nice

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
For me this is the perfect bike.solo only sadly.

Attachments

• 1548179_613109935410139_533140282_o.jpg
    1548179_613109935410139_533140282_o.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 28

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The only thing I would like to ask Harley riders.

I have ridden all sorts during my motorcycle life journey.

A 2013 Vespa and 1928 Rudge reside in my garage at the moment.

But lots of big bruisers and semi sports bikes spent their time there over the last few decades.

But no matter what I ride most other bikers acknowledge you on the road.

BMW riders have a bit of a reputation in the matter but Harley riders are legendary.

Why don't you wave/acknowledge other motorcycle riders?

:thumb::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Umm.. its called banter..

Just a biker thing and in all honesty something bikers enjoy :thumb:

As mentioned elsewhere, HD's are very much like marmite either love em or hate em..

As someone who leans towards sport tourers and all terrain type bikes ( and indeed actually earns his crust in the game ) it is my JOB in life to dis all HD's .. but it really is just banter and nothing more..

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
The only thing I would like to ask Harley riders.

I have ridden all sorts during my motorcycle life journey.

A 2013 Vespa and 1928 Rudge reside in my garage at the moment.

But lots of big bruisers and semi sports bikes spent their time there over the last few decades.

But no matter what I ride most other bikers acknowledge you on the road.

BMW riders have a bit of a reputation in the matter but Harley riders are legendary.

Why don't you wave/acknowledge other motorcycle riders?

:thumb::thumb:
Again don't think you can lump everyone together,I always acknowledge other riders no matter what I am on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back