Final Choice! Android GPS App: Co-Pilot or Sygic? (1 Viewer)

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
Hi

I've been playing around with a variety of GPS Apps for my Android Hudl and since we'll soon be heading out for Carcassonne (and all points between and beyond) I must opt for a preferred App, particularly one that it's easy to import POIs without using complicated (to me anyway) ways of converting etc, especially if it involves using PC/Windows as I am Mac based.

Thinking to date on free apps:
  • OsmAnd - Like this but it does have a complicated way of importing POIs that I have not been able to master, even using a borrowed PC.
  • MapFactor's Navigator Free - Liked this as much as OsmAnd, but again POI imports and strange voice that I found difficult to understand (I'm a wee bit Corned Beef!)
  • NavFree - Didn't really like the look and feel of this one and again POI difficulties.

Thinking to date on paid for apps:
  • Co-Pilot - Liked this App. Decent free period to try it out and it seems that the paid upgrade takes POIs imported in OV2 format without much bother.
  • Sygic - Like this too, especially the screen, but short trial period made it hard to give it a full run against Co-Pilot etc. The upgrade to W European maps is a bit dearer than Co-Pilot, but it links with the Dutch Motorhome Parkings App. Sygic's RUPI convertor software for POIs is Windows based, but I tried it on the borrowed PC. Seemed to convert OK, but could not check it out without upgrading Sygic!

So, I think I'll go for Co-Pilot unless someone here can dissuade me!

PS: Hudl has been great for the price (free with vouchers in our case).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have Copilot on my phone (paid version) and can't fault it ..

However.. my phone, Galaxy S3, tends to overheat when used for a while.. then shuts down.. so for that reason I prefer my TT sat nav..

It's also heavy on the battery so the phone needs plugged in all the time ..

It's useful for finding you're way about while walking or cycling in unfamiliar towns

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
been a user of co-pilot for quite a few years now and keep trying other ones but always come back to it - it must have taken me well over 200k miles in the last 6 years with only one hiccup

and that was last year when i ended up going through the middle of Paris instead of round it...not an experience to be repeated...especially in friday rush hour! and that turned out to not have been co-pilot completley at fault but the gps in android going a tad haywire

I have the premium Co-pilot with full euro maps and traffic activated BTW

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I'll suggest another option:

Igo Primo this is the software used on the chinese truck sat navs that some of us have. There is an Android version which gives all the same functionality.

Lunarman

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looks like I'm in the minority :Sad: but for me navfree takes some beating, used it all round France last year never missed a beat. Free as well so what you got to lose and google maps will find you any pois that you want::bigsmile:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I've got normal Copilot on my Galaxy Note phone and Copilot truck (allows input of yr vehicles dimensions etc) on my Iphone. As previously mentioned the android phone overheats and switches off, probably due to the large screen taking more power than being supplied when on the move. Its a pity cos it looks great on the note. I have had no problems with the iphone but its a smaller screen.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
thism is the best

on the market today does everything , free udates for life and the rest

Broken Link Removed

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have both Sygic and Copilot on my Android phone, and have been using Sygic (in several guises) for about 5 years and Copilot for about 4 years. I use Sygic for all European maps and I use the Copilot for maps of the USA - our daughter lives in New Jersey so we visit her quite often. The reason for separate ones was when I looked for a USA map I could not bring myself to pay what Sygic was then asking. Of course all prices have come down since then.

I prefer Sygic for several reasons. Firstly they will always upgrade you free to their latest version whereas CoPilot do not. Secondly I much prefer Sygic's ergonomics - everything feels much easier than Copilot. And thirdly I have always found Sygic's customer support to be brilliant whenever I need it. If I was buying new now I would go for the Sygic World Edition, which is good value given the countries it covers. And with Sygic you can just download the country maps you have bought any time.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I've got normal Copilot on my Galaxy Note phone and Copilot truck (allows input of yr vehicles dimensions etc) on my Iphone. As previously mentioned the android phone overheats and switches off, probably due to the large screen taking more power than being supplied when on the move. Its a pity cos it looks great on the note. I have had no problems with the iphone but its a smaller screen.

never had that problem on my note1 and now the note3 and an htc desire before them
have you set the power saving options up? Gps on low power and screen settings to use device settings.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
never had that problem on my note1 and now the note3 and an htc desire before them
have you set the power saving options up? Gps on low power and screen settings to use device settings.
I use a note1 and a 10.1"Tab for navigation and neither turn off.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We use Sygic on the Hudl.

£35ish for ALL of Europe with lifetime updates.
Didn't miss a turn or speed camera all the way to the Alps and back!:thumb:

OP
OP
Bridie

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
We use Sygic on the Hudl.

£35ish for ALL of Europe with lifetime updates.
Didn't miss a turn or speed camera all the way to the Alps and back!:thumb:

Thanks for that.
Encouraging!
Have you added any POIs to it? If so, was it straightforward?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for that.
Encouraging!
Have you added any POIs to it? If so, was it straightforward?

Just used the Dutch aire app. No probs at all.
You just have to be a little careful mid-navigation though, its easy to add via points if you are a bit clumsy zooming in and out!:Eeek:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Co pilot for me..
Adding ov2 poi's is a big plus
It's bright.. Accurate and obviously doesn't require network access..
I have used it on a sensation s3 and now note 3 with no problems.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Running sygic at the moment and it is my new flavour of the month.Like the way it shows up and coming POI'S and you can select which ones you want to display.You can also set your own alert ie Wild camping spot ahead etc etc.Traffic is accurate too.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I use Co-Pilot on a Note3.

Like it a lot plus Co-Pilot has an RV setting to avoid small roads etc.

(mine never overheats)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Looks like I will have to adjust the settings on my Note! Think I will let the red wine wear off first...:beerchug:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Looks like I'm in the minority :Sad: but for me navfree takes some beating, used it all round France last year never missed a beat. Free as well so what you got to lose and google maps will find you any pois that you want::bigsmile:

I'm using NavFree as well. Once I downloaded the instructions and followed them it works great for me. Better than the SatNav built into the car.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I run both CoPilot and Sygic, truck versions, I prefer CoPilot as the presentation is more professional and displays all the truck limited issues near by, if you go off route it gets you back on still using the large vehicle size profile, unlike Snooper for example which reverts to car mode!! Also its easy to add POI's OV2 straight in. I like the road settings where you can strongly favour, favour, neutral, avoid, strongly avoid a whole range of road types. Downer at the moment is I have it on a Nexus 7 2013, lightening fast but CoPilot is not updated for the hi resolution.... yet, its been promised for months now, so some elements hard to read at a distance. Passenger has a 10 inch Samsung as well and that is fine, but slower.
Sygic, good, but I have had situations where it has not rerouted me... at all. Also the POI input is a PITA, Rupi format conversion, and the real killer is only country by country. So my large Google maps KML file had to be broken down into countries before Rupi conversion. The POI handling is also no where near as good as CoPilot.
Generally I love the ability of both apps on Android, zooming into routes easily and looking exactly where it wants to take you. CoPilot is easy to drag the route to follow a preferred camp site access for example.
I run both at the same time, one with a female voice one with male, so I can see/hear who wants me to go where.
Also uses a Garmin Glo which uses both sets of satellites, US and Ruskies, and gives me 6ft accuracy with up to 24 sats in use. I have this delivering over blue tooth to the 2 devices, amazing for roundabouts etc. And no issue of one machine using poor position data.
Got a great Brodit holder too for all the Android and other devices, check them out.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know this is an old thread but being as I posted on it over two years ago, thought I would just give an update, since" here maps "came out I went off navfree and used nothing else but here, but this last couple of months have been trying all the free sat nav things, and I have now changed to sygic , it has ad a lot of improvements along the way but it uses tomtom maps and seems to be the best at the moment to me, it is £19.99 for the European maps but it does include free lifetime updates, Lane guidance, and live traffic, and all offline, not pushing it just an update, and up to yet very happy with it.
Tried mapfactor navigator, and liked it a lot but every time I tried to get to somewhere in France it always wanted to go by dieppe so put in Calais to try it and it still went by deippe and could not get it recognise the tunnel even if putting in Ashford as the start, so soon kicked that out.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
By the way if anyone would like to try mapfactor navigator, it's totally free and I would be interested if anyone else can make it use the tunnel, I emailed the bloke who runs it but he couldn't explane it.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I know this is an old thread but being as I posted on it over two years ago, thought I would just give an update, since" here maps "came out I went off navfree and used nothing else but here, but this last couple of months have been trying all the free sat nav things, and I have now changed to sygic , it has ad a lot of improvements along the way but it uses tomtom maps and seems to be the best at the moment to me, it is £19.99 for the European maps but it does include free lifetime updates, Lane guidance, and live traffic, and all offline, not pushing it just an update, and up to yet very happy with it.
Tried mapfactor navigator, and liked it a lot but every time I tried to get to somewhere in France it always wanted to go by dieppe so put in Calais to try it and it still went by deippe and could not get it recognise the tunnel even if putting in Ashford as the start, so soon kicked that out.
Sygic is a good app, and I have a truck licence for it as well as 2 CoPilot Truck licences, but it has one huge disadvantage if like me you tour Europe. Personal POIs have to be loaded in a Rupi format and first through a proprietary converter, but even that is not the bug, the poi's have to be loaded in country groups. Tedious at best, impossible if the group you want to import is a European group. Also I very much like the vehicle and road profiling in CoPilot which is streets (excuse the pun) ahead of other apps and devices.

KeithWillis

Free Member
Dec 12, 2017
Funster No
Hi can anyone confirm please, can you add your speed into both of these apps ??

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi can anyone confirm please, can you add your speed into both of these apps ??
Not sure what you mean. But Sygic will display your speed on the screen as you drive along. You can also set it to ping a warning if you are driving above the speed limit. But that warning will be based upon the speed limit for a car, so not necessarily correct for your moho.

KeithWillis

Free Member
Dec 12, 2017
Funster No
Sorry, didn't make it very clear, in settings in the sygic app you can input not only vehicle dimensions but also maximum speed, very useful when pre planning a route, just wondered if copilot had the same option in entering your user details.... TIA

KeithWillis

Free Member
Dec 12, 2017
Funster No
Under settings / vehicle dimensions / maximum speed....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back