Slow computer start up (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Help Laptop taking a age to start up,sometimes freezes, what can i do to speed up,
need step by step instructions please not yet comp savey.
Laurie ash.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
what laptop is it? what system has it got ( windows 7 etc ) have you got an internet security system loaded ( norton. mc afee etc )/? what web browser you using

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Some basic downloads which can speed up yr PC:

CCleaner - removes the junk from yr PC and keeps the registry up to date

Quickstartup by Glarysoft - lets you choose which programs automatically load when switching the PC on (you can do also do this via the control panel but this is easier (ok i'm lazy).

I'm sure some of the more tech-minded members can help further!

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
defragmenting the hard drive will certainly help.

There may be a built in defragment program which will be in the 'TOOLS' submenu.

Click START then ALL PROGS.
Scroll to 'ACCESSORIES' then 'SYSTEM TOOLS'

look for the defrag program and run it.
If there isnt a defrag program try [HI]THIS ONE[/HI].....quick and easy to use

If the computer hasnt been defraged before then it may take a long time to complete.

Then download and run a hard drive cleaner such as 'C Cleaner'

Download the free version from [HI]HERE[/HI]

once installed open the program and follow the instructions to clean the registry and windows.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
what laptop is it? what system has it got ( windows 7 etc ) have you got an internet security system loaded ( norton. mc afee etc )/? what web browser you using
ASUS X50 series
Windows Vista tm
Microsoft security esentails
Firefox

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
all the above advice is good but first do you have security and could you have picked up a virus:Eeek:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
ASUS X50 series
Windows Vista tm
[HI]Microsoft security esentails[/HI]
Firefox

i'm not sure how good microsoft is but have you run an full virus scan if not do that first from the security menu:thumb:

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
ok thanks to all will try defrag, then security, then cleaner:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When did this happen first? Did it just come on all of a sudden or slowly over time? have you done any updates or downloads lately? My laptop was playing up the other day after an update from Mozilla so we rolled it back to a previous 'good' version and it has behaved since then.

Also a friend who has a laptop totally stuffed his up and it has taken 4 hours for hubby to sort it out for him running this and that, it ended up being something that was attacking Malwarebytes which is a worry! Unfortunately no matter how much we tell him he keeps clicking on bl**dy pop-ups or downloading stuff from unofficial sites.:Doh:

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
When did this happen first? Did it just come on all of a sudden or slowly over time? have you done any updates or downloads lately? My laptop was playing up the other day after an update from Mozilla so we rolled it back to a previous 'good' version and it has behaved since then.

Also a friend who has a laptop totally stuffed his up and it has taken 4 hours for hubby to sort it out for him running this and that, it ended up being something that was attacking Malwarebytes which is a worry! Unfortunately no matter how much we tell him he keeps clicking on bl**dy pop-ups or downloading stuff from unofficial sites.:Doh:

last few weeks no new down loads.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some basic downloads which can speed up yr PC:

CCleaner - removes the junk from yr PC and keeps the registry up to date

Quickstartup by Glarysoft - lets you choose which programs automatically load when switching the PC on (you can do also do this via the control panel but this is easier (ok i'm lazy).

I'm sure some of the more tech-minded members can help further!

Sorry to disagree but don't touch any registry "cleaner" with a barge pole.

Need more detail to work out the problem. Given it is Vista, never a popular OS, it could just be it needs a reformat and a fresh install, which is a bit drastic but is probably going to cure it.

My PC was locking up recently. Downloaded the latest video drivers and it has worked perfectly since. They are the most infuriating things!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ok thanks to all will try defrag, then security, then cleaner:thumb:

defragged and cleaned my laptop a few days ago as it hadnt been done for a few months....dont use much now i have a tablet.

117000 fragmented files defragmented
Loads of registry errors fixed.

fragmented files are bits of information used by various programs but dont always get put back in the same place on the hard drive when no longer needed so the processor, although it knows where they should be, has to go hunting for them....all takes time and slows down program start up time.

Registry errors are bits of info no longer needed, remnants of removed programs etc, but are still stored in the registry taking space and time on boot up.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
defragged and cleaned my laptop a few days ago as it hadnt been done for a few months....dont use much now i have a tablet.

117000 fragmented files defragmented
Loads of registry errors fixed.

fragmented files are bits of information used by various programs but dont always get put back in the same place on the hard drive when no longer needed so the processor, although it knows where they should be, has to go hunting for them....all takes time and slows down program start up time.

Registry errors are bits of info no longer needed, remnants of removed programs etc, but are still stored in the registry taking space and time on boot up.

Defraging now try cleaner:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you checked how much RAM is showing? If one of the sticks has failed (it can suddenly decide to give up the ghost!) then it will definitely slow down your laptop. It will be in your Control Panel - System settings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back