Free Member
Feb 12, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm new
Hi, after reading all the posts on payload I'm now worried about the weight of my van and I'm looking for the nearest weighbridge to Glasgow. Tried google but didnt seem to find what I'm looking for, does anyone know of one?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just go to an MOT centre that can do larger vehicles such as your motorhome, they should have a rolling road with a built in weight sensor.

Rgds
Bill

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Weighbridge

I used to go to one on the docks king george v only the boys there called it a wheybrig:Smile:

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Just go to an MOT centre that can do larger vehicles such as your motorhome, they should have a rolling road with a built in weight sensor.

Rgds
Bill

Sorry, not quite correct - the weight sensors on the brake rollers are not accurate for weighing purposes :Sad: - they only give an indication of weight to the machine so the braking percentages can be worked out.

Almost any scrap metal yard will have an accurate weigh bridge - they are classified as 'trade' weighbridges and must be certified as accurate. Yellow pages will tell you the one nearest to you and for a small sum (or even a donation to the tea fund), they'll probably weigh your vehicle for you.

Daedalus

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a scrap cardboard place in uttoxeter and they can't do enough for you and just won't take anything, but it does say public weighbridge on the gate, do they get paid by some government thing or something?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim and Lorraine

Free Member
Nov 10, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, after reading all the posts on payload I'm now worried about the weight of my van and I'm looking for the nearest weighbridge to Glasgow. Tried google but didnt seem to find what I'm looking for, does anyone know of one?

Where a outs in Glasgow do you live?

OP
OP
jacks girls

jacks girls

Free Member
Feb 12, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm new
Thanks everyone for your help, I'll be able to phone round now and find somewhere, dont want to have to leave anything behind if we were pulled over. We stay on the North side and the van is in storage but anywhere around Glasgow would do to put my mind at rest, or make us leave half the stuff at home and start dieting::bigsmile:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Try the local refuse centre at Bishopbriggs if your north of the city. I have gotten to know the guys at Queenslie depot. Only costs me a few sweets.::bigsmile:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
A bit of a necrobump, 🧟‍♂️ but i popped by the quarry at Dunglass Roundabout near Bowling near Dumbarton on the A82 today to ask whether they would weigh my van on their weighbridge -

Dropped pin
(55.9320377, -4.5035081)

The chap in the cabin (Jason) said yes (the chap had to phone the office for a price), its £28 (inc VAT) that can be paid in cash or by card over phone in advance to their office, the weighbridge is calibrated to +/- 20kg every 3 or 6 months (i can’t remember) by placing 1000kg weights on the each of the 3 sections of the weighbridge and removing them incrementally to check the balance of the table.

their hours of opening are 0700-1700 Monday to Friday and 0700 - 1200 on Saturdays.

I’ll get my van along at some point

this might be useful for those near glasgow and if you are travelling N as it is on a roundabout on the A82 on the main road to the west coast of Scotland

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
For reference for anyone in Fife re Public Weighbridge availability:

Public Weighbridges in Fife

May have changed since we last used them in August 2018 for our Folding Caravan, but Thomas Muir {Metals] in Kirkcaldy did not charge, unless we wanted a printed ticket. No weighing of axles, just overall weight, so that might lead to a fee being levied.

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back