Legal position on tyre pressures (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
What tyre pressures you use seems to be whatever you fancy given the range of pressures there seem to be for my tyres.
I've consulted the manufacturer, Continental, noted the maximum load pressures advised by Fiat and looked at the information provided by TyreSafe.

For instance, according to Continental, if I load the front axle to 1500kg then the pressure should be at 50.7 psi.
When I took delivery of the motorhome 6 months ago the dealer had put 65 psi all round but seemed at a loss to explain how they arrived at this. Quite a difference in pressures!

My query is, what is the legal position if the motorhome were to be checked at the roadside or after an accident?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Legally.. If the tyres were inflated to a pressure well outside of the manufacturers recommendations and there is a suggestion that it could have played a part in an accident an insurance company may take it into account. For a roadside check there is going to be no comeback unless the tyres are obviously under or over inflated. It would have to be sufficient for it to be a dangerous condition.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Legally.. If the tyres were inflated to a pressure well outside of the manufacturers recommendations and there is a suggestion that it could have played a part in an accident an insurance company may take it into account. For a roadside check there is going to be no comeback unless the tyres are obviously under or over inflated. It would have to be sufficient for it to be a dangerous condition.

Why is it not in the mot, then there would be no problem, whatever they said would be final:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
My understanding is that the commercial arm use the maximum pressure for the benefit of "white van man/woman"...............fully loaded at the start of shift, decreasing load as the day progresses.

As we use our vehicles privately, the correct pressure for the rig should be used.

Its true, when we collected our Hymer, it was running at 70 psi..........a very hard ride.
After a trip to the weigh bridge, fully loaded, the ticket in hand, I contacted Michelin with:

Tyre size
Front axle weigh 1620 Kgs.
Rear axle weigh 2420 Kgs.

Reply was 65 psi on front and 50 psi rear, and they confirmed this in writing.

I consider we are compliant.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
What tyre pressures you use seems to be whatever you fancy given the range of pressures there seem to be for my tyres.
I've consulted the manufacturer, Continental, noted the maximum load pressures advised by Fiat and looked at the information provided by TyreSafe.

For instance, according to Continental, if I load the front axle to 1500kg then the pressure should be at 50.7 psi.
When I took delivery of the motorhome 6 months ago [HI]the dealer had put 65 psi all round[/HI] but seemed at a loss to explain how they arrived at this. Quite a difference in pressures!

My query is, what is the legal position if the motorhome were to be checked at the roadside or after an accident?

if you look on the wall of the conti tyres you will see "65psi max"! thats probably why. ( mine were the same ) however, Conti told me that this was only for the US market and should not be used for anywhere else. max permissible on the conti camper tyre is 5.5 bar or 80 psi.

i did as many have done weighed each axle fully loaded got pressures from manufacturer in email. " compliant " as far as i am concerned:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Why is it not in the mot, then there would be no problem, whatever they said would be final:thumb:

You seem to have some strange views on the scope of the MoT test
do I take it from your comment you check your pressures every year:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

Would you be happy if you had a fail because the tyre pressures were 4psi out because you checked them hot and they did the MOT when it was cold ?? :Eeek::Eeek: How would they know what the weight of your Motor home was to know the correct pressure for that vehicle /tyre / weight loading . Best not to wish for something - you might get it

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Thanks for the replies, looking at them I think I will stick to the Conti recommendations.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the replies, looking at them I think I will stick to the Conti recommendations.

Generally a good choice. Get the max weight of the axle (who runs much less than max weight!?) and use the tyre manufacturers recommendation for that divided by the number of wheels. However, you might want to check the wheel manufacturer's max, too. Usually 80psi, but you can get outliers.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Tyre size
Front axle weigh 1620 Kgs.
Rear axle weigh 2420 Kgs.

Reply was 65 psi on front and 50 psi rear, and they confirmed this in writing.

Unless you've got a dual rear wheel, they've accidentally swapped front and rear.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ask your insurer what they recommend, they are the ones with the get-out clause if the pressures are incorrect in an accident and their assesor must know to know they are incorrect.
But dont hold your breath waiting for a sensible reply..

Last edited:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Would you be happy if you had a fail because the tyre pressures were 4psi out because you checked them hot and they did the MOT when it was cold ?? :Eeek::Eeek: How would they know what the weight of your Motor home was to know the correct pressure for that vehicle /tyre / weight loading . Best not to wish for something - you might get it

Oh mystyc Bill have not seen Geos crystal balls :Eeek: :Eeek: the legal stance is you are the driver it's up to you to ensure your tyres are correctly inflated.........clearly written within the tyre law :thumb:

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back