Your motorhome and Driver CPC requirements (1 Viewer)

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have copied my post from RVOC as it does apply to all motorhomes over 3.5 ton, but it is good news.

I have had several Pm's over the past months regarding Dricer CPC for vehicles over 3.5 ton, I keep hearing my mate say's, so let me clear this up for everyone, my mate doesn't do this for a living and is more often than not wrong, I however do do this for a living, there is no requirement to have a driver CPC unless you are being paid to drive, so if all you do is drive your own Motorhome the you need nada zip bugger all apart from what you need now, if you are paid to deliver other peoples Motorhomes then you will need a Driver CPC

If in doubt Call me 0797 475 8989

All the best Rick

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
How do you go about if you passed your test I the last 10 years and want to drive something over 3.5 tonn?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry if this is a bit off thread. I was wondering if a vehicle was over the 3.5 tonnes my daughter could drive it if she had a provisional for C1 and I was to be a "supervisor". She has her B license of course. Would she need to go on, as she terms it, a truck driver's course?

We don't have our MH yet but if she could drive under supervision it would mean a wider choice as we are looking - or the ability to upgrade the MAM at some point. Son is doing C1+E through the Army Reserve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
How do you go about if you passed your test I the last 10 years and want to drive something over 3.5 tonn?

If you passed your test post Jan 97 then you will nee to take one of two test's, the reason I say one of two they are both the same cost,

A catagory C1 this will allow you to drive up to 7500kg or a catagory C this will allow you to drive up to 32000kg and any rigid vehicle, the route to both these tests is the same, a medical to obtain a provisional licence then a theory and hazard perception test after that the practical training and test.

Any questions feel free to call me on 0797 475 8989

All the best Rick

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

You have to take a group C1 test for vehicles up to 7500kg . If you want to tow a trailer you need a C1+E If over 750kg you need a full HGV group C licence.

At present these have to be taken on a goods vehicle (loaded from November 2013) but there was some talk of allowing leisure only drivers to take the restricted test in a motorhome.

New licences (after 1997) only cover group B (cars and vehicles up to 3500kg).

This is why many motorhomes are down plated to under 3500kg (loss of potential payload) even though they are capable of a higher load.

CPC is only required for commercial activity.

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Sorry if this is a bit off thread. I was wondering if a vehicle was over the 3.5 tonnes my daughter could drive it if she had a provisional for C1 and I was to be a "supervisor". She has her B license of course. Would she need to go on, as she terms it, a truck driver's course?

We don't have our MH yet but if she could drive under supervision it would mean a wider choice as we are looking.

So where do I start as she passed her test after Jan 1997 she is limited to 3500kg, her provisional C1 will allow her to drive up to 7500kg under supervision BUT BEWARE as of Jan 2010 (I think then may have the year wrong) you must have passed your est in a vehicle of that class or above, so if you passed in your car then you cannot supervise someone in a vehicle over 7500kg, many people are not aware of this (including policemen) but Vosa and DSA are, we Train 7.5 ton in a 6.5ton vehicle which is very much the same as a motorhome size and shape, we train many paramedics in this as they are only ever going to drive 5.5 ton vans :thumb:

Hope this covers your questions feel free to call me if you need more 0797 475 8989

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

We don't have our MH yet but if she could drive under supervision it would mean a wider choice as we are looking - or the ability to upgrade the MAM at some point. Son is doing C1+E through the Army Reserve.

You can't be a supervisor if you just have a pre-97 car licence. There are no grandfather rights. To supervise, you would need to pass some sort of commercial test yourself, such as C1+E, which would remove the 8250kg limit, or C.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
So where do I start as she passed her test after Jan 1997 she is limited to 3500kg, her provisional C1 will allow her to drive up to 7500kg under supervision BUT BEWARE as of Jan 2010 (I think then may have the year wrong) you must have passed your est in a vehicle of that class or above, so if you passed in your car then you cannot supervise someone in a vehicle over 7500kg, many people are not aware of this (including policemen) but Vosa and DSA are, we Train 7.5 ton in a 6.5ton vehicle which is very much the same as a motorhome size and shape, we train many paramedics in this as they are only ever going to drive 5.5 ton vans :thumb:

Hope this covers your questions feel free to call me if you need more 0797 475 8989

Thanks. I couldn't legally supervise her.

Just another point - how do they know what you were driving when you passed your test, in my case when Noah was still building a boat!

What a mine field. I guess the answer is that we need to decide if she is likely to ever drive or want to drive the MH (she doesn't live at home). If it's unlikely then we'll just get an MH that suits us regardless of weight as we both have C1+E licenses and experience of driving such vehicles (and mini-buses - and in my case fork lifts and fire trucks within the work place on private roads).

Last edited:
OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
You have to take a group C1 test for vehicles up to 7500kg . If you want to tow a trailer you need a C1+E If over 750kg you need a full HGV group C licence.

At present these have to be taken on a goods vehicle (loaded from November 2013) but there was some talk of allowing leisure only drivers to take the restricted test in a motorhome.

This is why many motorhomes are down plated to under 3500kg (loss of potential payload) even though they are capable of a higher load.

I think you meant a full Cat C over 7500kg

A C1 licence is not taken on a loaded vehicle, but a Cat C is.

The talk about restricted licence/tests has been going on for years but the European parliament said no to it last year so that's not happening.

All the best Rick

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Thanks. I couldn't supervise her but my friend could. Friend passed her test (pre-1997) in her Dad's pick-up truck when her own car wouldn't start. Yes, she was insured to drive it. She is a tiny dot of a woman and the examiner was rather shocked she said.

Just another point - how do they know what you were driving when you passed your test, in my case when Noah was still building a boat!

Ah now what was the Gross Veicle weight of the pick up truck ? if it was over 3.5 ton then yes she could, which leads on to your second point if you cant prove the size of vehicle you passed your car test in then it will be taken as a car up to 3.5 ton all other classes will be taken as grandfather rights, one of my Directors took a young lady for car and trailer test some tome time ago, the examiner took him to one side and said he couldnt supervise her, he then explained he could he held his C+E licence

All the best Rick

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Ah now what was the Gross Veicle weight of the pick up truck ? if it was over 3.5 ton then yes she could, which leads on to your second point if you cant prove the size of vehicle you passed your car test in then it will be taken as a car up to 3.5 ton all other classes will be taken as grandfather rights, one of my Directors took a young lady for car and trailer test some tome time ago, the examiner took him to one side and said he couldnt supervise her, he then explained he could he held his C+E licence

All the best Rick

It was a 7.5 tonner - used to deliver building materials as her Dad had a builders' merchants.

DD is away on a driving course today as she is a chauffeur at The Commonwealth Games and has to do a limo driving course. Lucky girl.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks. I couldn't legally supervise her.

What a mine field. I guess the answer is that we need to decide if she is likely to ever drive or want to drive the MH (she doesn't live at home). If it's unlikely then we'll just get an MH that suits us regardless of weight as we both have C1+E licenses and experience of driving such vehicles (and mini-buses - and in my case fork lifts and fire trucks within the work place on private roads).

They can look at your categories. It you've got C1+E with 8250kg and no C or C+E, that pretty much describes a pre-97 car licence. I guess you could have passed a C1 licence separately which won't be obvious, although that would be pretty unusual, as the only additional advantage this gives you is the ability to supervise C1 learners...

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
They can look at your categories. It you've got C1+E with 8250kg and no C or C+E, that pretty much describes a pre-97 car licence. I guess you could have passed a C1 licence separately which won't be obvious, although that would be pretty unusual, as the only additional advantage this gives you is the ability to supervise C1 learners...

If you passed a C1 after the Cat B then it is easily cheked by looking at the licence as the start date is different plus it's on computer which now is available in almost every police car, so it's obvious and not that unusual any one Under 34years old who has C1 has taken a seperate test :thumb:

All the best Rick

Last edited:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have just retired.i hold a hgv 1.i don't want to keep my hgv going.but when it runs out.can I still drive a motorhome over 7.5.i passed back in 1972. or would it be best to take a medical again.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have just retired.i hold a hgv 1.i don't want to keep my hgv going.but when it runs out.can I still drive a motorhome over 7.5.i passed back in 1972. or would it be best to take a medical again.

My understanding is that you will need to continue to maintain your Cat 'C' to drive over 7.5t (but without the need for continuing professional training if that applies to you anyway). You may be able to continue to drive 3.5 - 7.5t on your grandfather rights if you give up the full 'C' category, but I'm not sure if you gain extra medical benefits by doing so.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If I had passed my test just before 1997 I can drive upto 7.5 ton but if I passed just after I have to take a Hgv test?

Yes, you would need to take a C1 (to 7500kg) or C test to drive these vehicles. You would then need to take a C1+E or C+E if you wanted to tow more than a small baggage trailer.

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

You will keep your C1 (up to 7.5 ton) until you are 70 then you will need an anual medical the same one as for your class 1 at 65 in order to keep your class1 (C+E) you will need an anual test from then, me I would keep my class 1 never know when it might come in handy.

All the best Rick

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
In Spain I had to ( by law ) changed my UK license to a Spanish one and because of that at the age of 55 onwards I have to by law renew my C1 (up to 7.5 ton) every year at the cost of 175 euro's ( medical - eye sight test - computer test and new plastic license ) - I have considered just binning it, but as someone says you never know when you will need it.......

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Airstream
You need to take a test to drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes ,

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Hi Darcie and welcome, these posts are from 2014 so I expect they've discovered that they needed to take a test already. As you do not appear to be a paid member yet, you are limited to 5 posts so you may want to check that the thread your responding to is current before contributing. I hope you decide to become a full member there are many benefits and the subs are reasonable.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015

And why so many are actually over-loaded when travelling,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back