Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
Has anyone had the experience of replacing an Eberspacher air/water heater set up with say a Truma system?

Will it be expensive? i.e £500 plus a bit naive here I think

Thanks for any help and advice

Steve:Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Firstly I would ask why would you want to replace a far superior system for an inferior one, unless of course you accidentally hit it with a sledge hammer and completely destroyed the Eberspacher.

OP
OP
durhamahoy

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Firstly I would ask why would you want to replace a far superior system for an inferior one, unless of course you accidentally hit it with a sledge hammer and completely destroyed the Eberspacher.

Very good point
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Do any of you guys ever get any complaints about fumes or noise when using your Eberspacher?
I've yet to use mine on a field but I have heard of people getting complaints from the neighbours on the Aires etc.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I will be the first, I will swap out my truma heater s5001 for your eberspacher, hell i will even drive up to yours and help swap it myself::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know its more a case of belt and braces, but I have the choice of both the Eberspacher and the Truma 4000E gas blown air heater in the van. Although the Truma is good, its no match for the Eberspacher, which uses next to no diesel compared to the Trumas gas consumption. Diesel is available everywhere, whereas gas can become a problem when abroad.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The Eberspacher on my MH (May actually be Webasto) will only work with the engine running, as it is intended just to act as a booster heater in cold weather.:Sad:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The Eberspacher on my MH (May actually be Webasto) will only work with the engine running, as it is intended just to act as a booster heater in cold weather.:Sad:

So did mine until this week. I used to have to allow it to go through the start up cycle. After it had gone through the start up it would run happily all night. I had it rewired with thicker cable into the 330 amp leisure batteries and now it works perfectly. They do pull a lot of amps on start up, but very little once running.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Do any of you guys ever get any complaints about fumes or noise when using your Eberspacher?
I've yet to use mine on a field but I have heard of people getting complaints from the neighbours on the Aires etc.

Haven't had a complaint with my Webasto so far, but I admit it can be a bit noisy, particularly when first started.

I'm probably not the best person to ask though - mine doesn't tend to get used for extended periods, e.g. overnight, and I try to make sure I'm not parked close to another motorhome when I use it.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I don't strictly have an Eberspacher. I have a Webasto.

Mine runs with or without the engine and can be switched on manually or activated by a 7 day timer.

On the two outings we've used it (both around freezing outside), it only needs to run at its minimum heat setting to keep Udo really warm inside.

I'd say that was as much due to RMB's excellent insulation as the effectiveness of the Webasto. We've never needed to have it on overnight.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Diesel do for me. In two years have only used two 6kg gas cylinders. Cost of diesel used infinitesimal.A bit noisy on start-up, but as others have said 'you hear yourself getting warm'. Jet engine whine goes away soon enough, and if anyone complains about that, they'd moan about something else anyway. We have two 85amp batts and a solar panel. recently in Belgium three nights with heating on most of time, no problem. Excellent bit of kit IMHO

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I put an hydronic heater in my self build and a combitronic system to give the hot air and hot water. its plumbed into the engine as well so the engine also heats the water(ie you arrive with hot water). on hook up you have the option of using 240v to heat the water and the blown air.. think its a versatile set up and no complaints so far.. the timer function is also handy on cold trips...the van can be nice and warm before getting out of bed lol. ::bigsmile: regards andy

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Eberspacher or similar every time for me, I've also used Webasto and Mikuni's. As for noise, silencers are available for the exhausts and combustion air intakes, with the latter making the most difference. Never had a complaint yet and mine is a D5 and a bit of a beast, I think if anyone really needs to complain then they have set up too close, this is easily prevented , we normally leave a genny outside ,and a Rotty chained up, one either side of the van, no one seems to get very close to us.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Eberspacher or similar every time for me, I've also used Webasto and Mikuni's. As for noise, silencers are available for the exhausts and combustion air intakes, with the latter making the most difference. Never had a complaint yet and mine is a D5 and a bit of a beast, I think if anyone really needs to complain then they have set up too close, this is easily prevented , we normally leave a genny outside ,and a Rotty chained up, one either side of the van, no one seems to get very close to us.
Mine's a D5 that heats water and air.
Can it be run on the air heat setting whilst driving the van and is it likely to be wired to run from the cab or leisure battery?

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lone voice in the wilderness...

I don't like any system that needs two sources of power in order to warm you up.

Truma rools in my world.

JJ :Cool:
Surely it needs 12v to run the blower and gas to provide the heat?

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Mine's a D5 that heats water and air.
Can it be run on the air heat setting whilst driving the van and is it likely to be wired to run from the cab or leisure battery?
I stand corrected, mine is actually a D4 Hydronic.
Does anyone know how much difference an Air Intake Silencer makes to the noise levels?
I already have one on the Exhaust side.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
I stand corrected, mine is actually a D4 Hydronic.
Does anyone know how much difference an Air Intake Silencer makes to the noise levels?
I already have one on the Exhaust side.

The D4 & D5 Hydronics are pretty similar, I've never worked on the Hydronics myself so can't offer much help on the workings and operation of these.
As far as the air intake silencer in my experience these are actually more effective than the exhaust silencers

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
The D4 & D5 Hydronics are pretty similar, I've never worked on the Hydronics myself so can't offer much help on the workings and operation of these.
As far as the air intake silencer in my experience these are actually more effective than the exhaust silencers
They're pretty straightforward with only a half dozen screws to remove for servicing.
Glad to hear your positive input ref. the Intake Silencer as I've ordered one for delivery tomorrow. :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Surely it needs 12v to run the blower and gas to provide the heat?

Afraid not...

Not mine...

Mine is an older model...

You don't use electicity to run the gas... Ignition is either by a AA battery (or piezo button push thingy if it has run flat and you don't have a new one to hand) and you don't need the blower on to warm the van... The blower simply speeds up the heat distribution and I hardly ever need/want this...

As I said... I don't like the idea of needing two fuel supplies to heat my van... I prefer just one... gas.

JJ :Cool:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I see what you mean, that's the way the system works in my caravan with the blower being optional.
I always try to use the EHU rather than gas if it's available though as I like to get my money's worth from a site fee.
Our Camper came with a catalytic gas heater fitted as well as the Eberspacher but I still use the little oil filled radiator whenever possible.
I've yet to use the Eberspacher in anger so I have no real idea of what economy to expect but I find the gas alternative to be very expensive.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I've just fitted an Intake Silencer and a second, more effective Exhaust Silencer to my D4W.
When I'd fitted them I ran the unit up just to make sure there was no overheating etc but it's been running constantly for over 2 hours now.
The "Cab Boost" Fan has cut out and will restart when I up the temperature requirement but the unit just keeps on running no matter what.
Is this the way they work or do I have a problem?
I read somewhere that they get confused regarding temperatures if they draw air from outside the heated area (which mine does) but mine also has an internal sensor so surely that should negate that problem?
Any help very gratefully received....:Sad:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Like I have said I'm not sure about the hydronics, but the airtronics will run and as set temperature is reached the heater /fan will slow down to maintain set temperature, if the interior is still to warm when the heater is running in the lowest mode it will then stop, normally they measure the air temperature being sucked into the heater via the inlet ducting therefore it should be drawing air in from the heated area, sometimes they have an external temperature sensor this should be in the heated area and should disable the sensor that is mounted in the heater.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Having done a little more digging I think the issue is that there is no thermostat / solenoid valve in the water system (except for the one in the engine) and so the domestic hot water gets way hotter than it needs to and the heater unit doesn't realise it can stop working far sooner than it does.
I imagine it would stop at some point based on the setting of the engine stat but I don't know for sure.
A chat with a Heating Engineer is in order I think....

Actually, the engine stat opens when the coolant reaches operating temperature so that b####rs that idea!!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back