Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Hi
I have a roadpro sat dome, avtex t.v with built in sat reciever, so i connect the cable from the sat dome to the t.v, im with it up to now.
We have another t.v in the bedroom, can i connect this as well, if so how do i do it.
Will only ever want to watch one t.v at once
Thanks in anticipation

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi
I have a roadpro sat dome, avtex t.v with built in sat reciever, so i connect the cable from the sat dome to the t.v, im with it up to now.
We have another t.v in the bedroom, can i connect this as well, if so how do i do it.
Thanks in anticipation

Go to any tv repairer, electrical wholesaler or airial bloke and ask for a airial splitter and a length of airial cable and an end for the tv and just plug them together:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi
Thanks in anticipation

does the bedroom tv have an inbuilt free sat receiver .. ? If not you will need to buy a free sat box.

take the cable that comes form the sat dish, run it to a splitter switch and run a cable to both TVs.

you cannot use both TVs at the same time .. if you want to do that you need a twin LNB

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have just set up 3 TV's at home all running of the same arial on the roof, from the arial to a splitter 1 lead to a Tv the other goes further on to a 2nd splitter from this the 2 leads go to 2 other TV's.
All of the have inbuilt receivers and all have perfectly good pictures, just make sure that you have good connections.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Assuming your bedroom TV does not have a freesat receiver built in I would suggest the following:
Buy a 12v freesat satellite receiver making sure that it has both 'Line In and seperate 'Line Out' connectors.
Run your sat dome feed to the New box in the bedroom and connect to Line In, then run another cable from the Line Out on your sat box to the connector on your avtex.
When watching the avtex the new sat box will need to be off. When you want to watch the bedroom tv as soon as you switch the new box on it will disconnect the aerial feed to the avtex and you will only be able to watch in the bedroom.
I use this system in my van.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have just set up 3 TV's at home all running of the same arial on the roof, from the arial to a splitter 1 lead to a Tv the other goes further on to a 2nd splitter from this the 2 leads go to 2 other TV's.
All of the have inbuilt receivers and all have perfectly good pictures, just make sure that you have good connections.

yes, that works fine for terrestrial with free view built into the set , I have the same at home..

not many TVs have built in Free Sat .. the op hasn't said whether her bedroom TV has it built or not.. hence my asking..

she can't run a second TV off the first without a second free sat receiver and splitter switch ..

OP
OP
easygirl

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Thanks
The tv in bedroom does not have a free sat reciever.
I think i understand
Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes, that works fine for terrestrial with free view built into the set , I have the same at home..

not many TVs have built in Free Sat .. the op hasn't said whether her bedroom TV has it built or not.. hence my asking..

she can't run a second TV off the first without a second free sat receiver and splitter switch ..

i could be wrong and accept correction but i think you can, but you need an RF modulator to convert the scart output signal on the first tv to rf then run a coax to the second tv.

Obviously you cannot control the sat from set 2 and can only watch whatever is on set 1

Much easier to replace the LNB with a twin or quad unit.

OP
OP
easygirl

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Whats an LNB please:Sad:

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Low Noise Block
It is the bit on the end of the arm of a satellite dish that the feed cable connects too.
Multi blocks allow you to supply 2 or more receivers with seperate feeds at once and allow each receiver to tune to a different channel.
Not sure if your dome could be converted to a twin or the costs, might be worth calling Prodome however you will still need to buy or obtain a second satellite receiver.

OP
OP
easygirl

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Thanks for explanation
I dont need twin lnb, wont ever have both on at same time
Ill look for a reciever with a in and out

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for explanation
I dont need twin lnb, wont ever have both on at same time
Ill look for a reciever with a in and out

sorry its not that simple with sat reception....

the digi box provides a voltage to the sat dish LNB, if you have more than 1 digi box they really need to go to a twin LNB.

the only way to connect 2 tv's to a single box is as Papajohn says in his post.
as for signal splitters they are not that easy on a sat system unless you are familiar with the systems it is easily connected incorrectly or to get the wrong type.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Assuming your bedroom TV does not have a freesat receiver built in I would suggest the following:
Buy a 12v freesat satellite receiver making sure that it has both 'Line In and seperate 'Line Out' connectors.
Run your sat dome feed to the New box in the bedroom and connect to Line In, then run another cable from the Line Out on your sat box to the connector on your avtex.
When watching the avtex the new sat box will need to be off. When you want to watch the bedroom tv as soon as you switch the new box on it will disconnect the aerial feed to the avtex and you will only be able to watch in the bedroom.
I use this system in my van.

This works because the first box has a feed through Line in and Line out, hence there will not be 2 power supplies to the LNB at the same time.

OP
OP
easygirl

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Is it not the control box from the dish that supplies the voltage to the dish?

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Yes the control box does supply power to the dome however it is used to direct the dish to the correct position to lock on to the satellite. Once locked on the manufacturer recommends that the power to the controller is switched off to reduce power consumption from the batteries.
It will not effect the supply from the receiver to the LNB which is a separate part of the system used to take the signal from the dish to your receiver or Freesat television.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back