Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Word of caution, they are trying to fill the French coffers with speeding fines.
Apart from new unannounced cameras the latest trick is to stick a road works warning up on a 130 or 110 kph road, then swiftly count down to 80 before you really have a chance to do so, especially when you can clearly see there are no roadworks and its Sunday. I plod along around 90 kph but got the flash. Just take care folks, you don't have to be a habitual speeder to get caught out over here.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I found out last year not to rely on your satnav telling you the speed limit of where you are. It is often right but limits change and the maps, even if you have the most up to date versions loaded as I did, can be wrong. I found rural roads the most likely to have this problem. No substitute for the Mk 1 eyeball looking out for the signs. I was flashed but so far nothing seems to have happened. If I am sent to the Bastille when we next go to France I will have the answer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Reason

If the sign is clear and visible from a reasonable distance then that's fair warning.

Now why on earth do you think I gave the warning!
Having travelled the previous two months in Spain, never speeding once, on the return journey slowing from 90 to 80 on a 130 kph road in France. I can assure you at the time of passing the camera, I was on 83. Not had a ticket yet, but there's time, no leeway here! Remember a 130kph toll road!
Can't stand these holyier than thou comments! Unquote

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Don't think you'll get a ticket, got flashed last year nothing happened, think l read on here the French and British don't enforce speeding fines for each other.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I have often found going into villages in France, usually around a corner, the speed limit sign followed by a camera. I guess the want us to try our brakes out trying to get any speed off. Sounds dangerous to me and I often wonder why they do not give a warning more often than they do.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Is a French speeding fine enforceable in the UK??? It certainly isnt with German fines.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
good question
do you get french fines on uk plates

neill

Yes! it takes a little while to come through the postal system, about a month I think from reading other members experiences and you can pay online.
Of course if you drive within the law this will not happen in the first place. No excuse for speeding in the first place and whilst I'm on the subject warning other drivers of speed traps is also an offense, so be careful out there.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Yes! it takes a little while to come through the postal system, about a month I think from reading other members experiences and you can pay online.
[HI]Of course if you drive within the law this will not happen in the first place. No excuse for speeding in the first place and whilst I'm on the subject warning other drivers of speed traps is also an offense,[/HI] so be careful out there.

not sure the lecture is warranted:Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The UK, Republic of Ireland and Denmark have opted out of the EU directive on cross border speeding fines..

more here .. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23619783

So the only way motorists from those countries can be sanctioned on French roads - and there are many more from Britain than Ireland or Denmark - is if they are caught in the act by the police and made to pay on-the-spot fines.

The UK government has several reasons for staying out of the new EU data exchange. It is not happy that the directive means exchanging vehicle owner information, rather than driver information - and often, it argues, the offending driver does not own the vehicle.

The UK government also says fines are a poor deterrent for bad driving, compared with points on a driving licence, or the threat of losing a licence altogether. And the government wants to assess the cost of setting up the EU-wide data exchange system before joining in.

But the UK opt-out means that foreign drivers on British soil are also unlikely to be fined for offences, unless British police catch them on the spot too.

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Enforcement

Is a French speeding fine enforceable in the UK??? It certainly isnt with German fines.

Don't think they try too hard, but they will on spot you. I live here so they will no doubt send me the fine. They also hang around at the most unlikely crossroads to make sure you stop! Other than that, driving over here is really relaxing, probably too relaxing hence the crossroad traps

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Of course if you drive within the law this will not happen in the first place. No excuse for speeding in the first place and whilst I'm on the subject warning other drivers of speed traps is also an offense, so be careful out there.

Well you will be first through the pearly gates Mr Perfect, I could imagine you as a bird watcher, oh the excitement of it all!:thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Apart from new unannounced cameras the latest trick is to stick a road works warning up on a 130 or 110 kph road, then swiftly count down to 80 before you really have a chance to do so, especially when you can clearly see there are no roadworks and its Sunday. I plod along around 90 kph but got the flash.

If they tried that in Italy the flash bulb would overheat and burst within 5 minutes.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If you go through French speed traps at 50k above speed limit, then the camera fails to go off :Smile:

Works for me every time :Smile:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Just a note on France speed cameras.

We have often found that even though we are within the speed limit we sometimes get a flash in the 90 or 110 speed limits.

I think it is because of the size of our van it looks as though we are over 3.5t.

As yet we have not received a fine, so I presume when the photos are checked they realise we are a motor home and as such family car speed limits apply.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I have often found going into villages in France, usually around a corner, the speed limit sign followed by a camera. I guess the want us to try our brakes out trying to get any speed off. Sounds dangerous to me and I often wonder why they do not give a warning more often than they do.

All French Villages will have a 50 sign, 50mtrs before the white-red trim rectangular sign with the name of the Village, which is the start of the 50 speed limit, so if you miss the first 50 warning, but see the village sign:Eeek:hit the brakes!! If you miss all that, and see a 50 rappel sign:Doh:"shutting the stable door springs to mind":Sad:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I've noticed a change in the last 6 months with French tickets. They never used to reach my Suisse doorstep but now they do, 2 since November.

I'd guess they are now keener on foreign plates, no proof just an assumption based on recent experience.

I'm still surprised that the UK doesn't follow this, although suspect it will soon.

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hollande

I've noticed a change in the last 6 months with French tickets. They never used to reach my Suisse doorstep but now they do, 2 since November.

I'd guess they are now keener on foreign plates, no proof just an assumption based on recent experience.

I'm still surprised that the UK doesn't follow this, although suspect it will soon.

Hollande has to get some cash back somehow and it's always the motorist. Noticed more cameras getting painted over though.
Now here is a good reason to strike for our fellow French countrymen if ever there was one!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Hollande has to get some cash back somehow and it's always the motorist. Noticed more cameras getting painted over though.
Now here is a good reason to strike for our fellow French countrymen if ever there was one!

By coincidence I noticed a camera that had been painted last week when I was in Holland, my colleague said it happens more and more now.

kat_lewis

Free Member
May 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since a nipper but only got back into it seriously recently when we inherited my mum's van
On a similar note I think satnavs that show speed cameras are a no no in france

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

Apparently so, hence when I was in a French drivers car recently and his TomTom announced there was a speed camera coming up I was surprised and said I thought it wasn't allowed, you laughed and just said something about rules are there for the English to follow and the rest of Europe to avoid:Doh:

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

The garmins now warn of a dangerous road and counts down. One way round it
As to being unlawful, the French police cant interrogate your satnav anyway!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I was driving happily along thinking there were very few cameras in France when the hedgerow winked at me !
Bugger, 77 kph just inside the 70 limit. Nothing heard since last August.
Some say forget it, too low for them to bother, some say UK plates so they wouldn't pursue anyway, others says my registration number may trigger an unpaid fine next time I visit. A copper told me they were looking for a suspect French car but said UK ANPR cameras do not recognise foreign plates. Hopefully the French ANPR can't detect me.
Change number plates I'm told, tell them you didn't own the vehicle last year but the V5 (which we must carry) will tell a different story.
I would have been happy to get an unwanted "avis de contravention" with say €100 fine, pay direct and clean the slate. Now I will be uneasy all the time I'm there waiting for the Gendarmes to pull me over.

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I was driving happily along thinking there were very few cameras in France when the hedgerow winked at me !
Bugger, 77 kph just inside the 70 limit. Nothing heard since last August.
Some say forget it, too low for them to bother, some say UK plates so they wouldn't pursue anyway, others says my registration number may trigger an unpaid fine next time I visit. A copper told me they were looking for a suspect French car but said UK ANPR cameras do not recognise foreign plates. Hopefully the French ANPR can't detect me.
Change number plates I'm told, tell them you didn't own the vehicle last year but the V5 (which we must carry) will tell a different story.
I would have been happy to get an unwanted "avis de contravention" with say €100 fine, pay direct and clean the slate. Now I will be uneasy all the time I'm there waiting for the Gendarmes to pull me over.

You will be Ok!

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Well you will be first through the pearly gates Mr Perfect, I could imagine you as a bird watcher, oh the excitement of it all!:thumb:

Oi! I've been a birder for almost 50 years each to their own :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
As one who has made a couple of contributions to the French economy through speeding fines, I drive very carefully when there. On both occasions PC plod was waiting at the payage gate and was pulling all those who had flashed a trap back up the road. Cash to be paid on the spot on at £70 and second at about £50
A similar problem in Norway led to a £780.00 fine which they chased through
UK debt collectors.
All three incidents involved being stopped at the time, they also teach me to be more careful regarding speeding even if the road is empty.:cry:

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hope so and thanks for your comment, but WHY will I be OK?

Doubtful they will be looking for you. When I had a Brit reg car they couldn't be bothered to chase up fines for speeding.. And I was living here. Sadly they do now my vehicles are French registered. Such is life!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back