Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Sounds a bit harsh to me ,what about the damage inside when doors start flying open and spilling items .I think we all expect it in an emergency stop but not for an MOT.:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
the brake rollers weigh the vans axle weight so I do not understand maybe Geo can throw some light on it

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just had ours done, no road test:thumb:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
the unit is called a tapley meter and all mot stations MUST still have one as back up in the event of the rolling brake meter rollers being out of action or calibration . it was my job as a apprentice, many many years ago to sit in the passenger seat with one between my feet as we went out on road test [ aarrgh mk 1 3 litre capris THOSE WERE THE DAYS !! ]

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not an entirely correct explanation and not a new rule either but a new aproach

So for those that nothing better to do on such a fine day here is the explanation
shortened version

All brake testing with rollers requires the weight to be known, converted vehicle weights are simply not known
a braking % effort is needed to pass without this you cant pass, the weight must be known in order to calculate this

So what do we do
1. put it in the rollers and hope that enough of the wheels lock up, when this happens the weight is irreverent, you can't get better braking than a lock up(were talking performance here not distance) before the ABS pendants start:Doh:

2. If they dont lock then we MUST have a %.to continue on to a pass as the weight is unknown this achieved by using the road test and a "Tappley" Meter as already pointed out we do still use them as they measure performance on the road as a % of the weight in motion
This meter is still used for all 4x4 vehicles
this new aproach may well result in a lot of Motorhomes failing brake testing this time round in particular hand brake efforts
In the past the calculations have been done using the base vehicle weight wich can be as low as 1500KG for some vans brakes previously passing at that calculation will now have to pass using possibly the max of the vehicle ie 3500KG

It is in your own interest to empty a vehicle for a MoT test, the lighter it actually is the less braking effort will be reqd to pass:Eeek:

If items start flying out of cupboards or down the van the test may well be abandoned and the full fee payable:cry:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sounds a bit harsh to me ,what about the damage inside when doors start flying open and spilling items .I think we all expect it in an emergency stop but not for an MOT.:Eeek:

You only have two options
1, Your van failed the MoT and brake test because at 45% the plates sounded like they may fall out:Doh:

2, Your van Passed the MoT and brake test but you need new plates:RollEyes:

Let us know your choice before the test please:thumb:
To be honest your comment worries me:Doh:
G

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

It would be in your interests I think, especially if you think the braking is marginal, to ensure it goes for testing as empty as possible. There being, at least not yet as far as I know, any requirement to load MHs for testing.

Does beg the question if the tester gets a 'fridge wrapped round their ears during an emergency stop is that a fail? Yes, I expect, but sadly in the event of a serious head on collision a lot of motorhomes will bombard the driver and passenger with sundry internal fitments including microwaves and those pots and pans stored in an overhead locker along the back wall.

I think it was Swift who did some crash testing last year who highlighted this. They passed their results on to other manufacturers for them to hopefully, take note.

Last edited:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
One of the basic things we train to newbies is stow loose items, a bottle of water inder a brake pedal and we have no brakes, I know the temtation in our motorhomes is to have all sorts of stuff not stowed when going down the road, well not in mine if any cupboard could be forced open by an impact then I have the wrong contents in it there may be a jumper cusions or coat that could fly about but thats it, now you may think I am being a goody two shoes, nope, at 18years old I recovered a 1955 Hilman Minx that had been rear ended when waiting to turn right the driver was dead and much of her head was on the back seat along with her golf clubs that her head had hit when the seat back broke in the collision, that was a hard lesson but one I will never forget, life can be cut short but for a moments thought. Just my opinion of course.

All the best Rick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
DONT WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT LOCKING THE CUPBOARDS 28.9 mph:RollEyes:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9vZdoomTuA"]Fiat Ducato Camper "Wohnwagen" (48 Km/h) Frontal Impact - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
don't you think that it would be best to ensure that the van and its content are secure for even the shortest of journeys if you are wored abut the content of cupboards I and doors spilling all over the van secure them or I would find another mode of transport to go on holiday:thumb:

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Presumably there are MOT stations and MOT Stations?

My van had each axle weighed by the rollers prior to the braking effort being measured (I use it as a cheap weighbridge every year ::bigsmile:).

Gordon

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
It is in your own interest to empty a vehicle for a MoT test, the lighter it actually is the less braking effort will be reqd to pass:Eeek:

I get what you're saying, Geo, but doesn't it then make the brake test a nonsense as very few vans will normally be driven empty (other than dealer vans going to and from shows)? :Eeek:

Also as I live in my van, it will take a very patient garage to wait while I unload all my worldly goods/clutter on the forecourt. :winky:

If knowing the weight is the issue, why not tie the MOT test in with a compulsory trip to a weighbridge? I'd do that once a year anyway so could easily combine it with the MOT. :Smile:

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I get what you're saying, Geo, but doesn't it then make the brake test a nonsense as very few vans will normally be driven empty (other than dealer vans going to and from shows)? :Eeek:

Also as I live in my van, it will take a very patient garage to wait while I unload all my worldly goods/clutter on the forecourt. :winky:

If knowing the weight is the issue, why not tie the MOT test in with a compulsory trip to a weighbridge? I'd do that once a year anyway so could easily combine it with the MOT. :Smile:

I think I'm right in saying the mot station mot ramp rollers
Have a weighbridge type thing built in

I've asked the mot gent to retain a copy of the weights
Hopefully he will

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
[HI]I think I'm right in saying the mot station mot ramp rollers
Have a weighbridge type thing built in [/HI]

I've asked the mot gent to retain a copy of the weights
Hopefully he will

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Only the VOSA HGV type ones do, not the local garage type.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back