LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as it has to be connected to a broadband internet feed for streaming, i would doubt its suited. even on sites with wifi you will hog all the bandwidth to watch eastenders. get 4 or 5 vans streaming video and nobody gets a good connection

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Currently they can only be used in the UK, however there will be a "work" round this soon. They do require a good broadband connection of 2Mb or better and as already stated will "hog" the bandwidth. Are they the way ahead for Mh'ers - without doubt, but internet connections on sites need to be better before they take off.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Currently they can only be used in the UK, however there will be a "work" round this soon.

There has been a workaround available for some time.
You will need to run a router with a UK VPN, which will provide you with a UK IP internet address.
Without one, then the content will be blocked as it checks you r IP address and will see you are trying to use it from outside the UK.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Well thought I would update this thread:

The Sky NOW box is basically a Roku box with their own firmware installed. After playing with both I have gone for the Roku3 as currently sitting in Wales at the inlaws ( for use in our home in Spain ) and out and about in our MH using my MiFi
The "in-Laws" have a great internet connection ( 50mb down and 20mb up ) so the HD side of the box is great, I have also tested it on my friend system, who has only 2mb down and 375kb up, and the picture quality is very good. I have tested it with my MiFi using the 3G sim network here in UK ( all you can eat data package ) and the HD picture is as good as a fixed internet connection, HOWEVER it is very very data hungry in HD - around 1/2 gbs over a 4/5 period of continuous use.
I can get/use BBC iPlayer, Ch4 Ch5 and Netflix and with the use of Plex can get ITV player. It also plays via the USB Plug movies ( however no support for AVI files for now, coming soon ) here is a nice lin:
https://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/movies-and-tv/by-popular

This device works very well over WiFi, but also has a ethernet connection ( which is faster than wifi ) - We will not be returning to Spain until late March and after getting in I will send an update here. I use a IP hider in Spain so know this box will work back to UK. If you are planning to watch UK TV in your MH ( whilst in the EU )you will need one of these with the fix in your router or on your laptop.

This will be the way ahead for TV in the motorhome as satellite TV outside the UK ( for UK Channels ONLY ) as we know it is dead. When they sort the bandwidth out on these little boxes so it does not need large amounts or they update the "old" routers in many places, which only throw out 150Mbs to the new ones that throw out 300Mbs. Time will tell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We use NOW tv-cost £10 & a £5.95 sign up for free Movies for a month that you can cancel-we did. I reckon that was a bargain-got all the Sky Christmas movies for free prior to cancellation.

We use it at home to have 24 hour Sky Sports for £10 so we can watch Derby County!!!

We have BT Infinity 2 that is pretty quick via a powerline mains adapter (Wifi SpeedNet Test: 58m download, 15.5 upload). However, there are occasional glitches & the video is slower than the Radio Derby commentary I prefer. Good to get pre-warning of the goals when we got thrashed by Leicester!

I would imagine that live tv would be pathetic in a motorhome unless you had a very quick connection.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
We use NOW tv-cost £10 & a £5.95 sign up for free Movies for a month that you can cancel-we did. I reckon that was a bargain-got all the Sky Christmas movies for free prior to cancellation.

We use it at home to have 24 hour Sky Sports for £10 so we can watch Derby County!!!

We have BT Infinity 2 that is pretty quick via a powerline mains adapter (Wifi SpeedNet Test: 58m download, 15.5 upload). However, there are occasional glitches & the video is slower than the Radio Derby commentary I prefer. Good to get pre-warning of the goals when we got thrashed by Leicester!

I would imagine that live tv would be pathetic in a motorhome unless you had a very quick connection.

Yes I have NOW tv on the Roku3 as well and it can be run on 2mb download providing it is a good connection and running 300mb from router and not 150mb as most old ones do.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
if anyone wants all uk tv freesat FOR FREE ANYWHERE

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/

THERE IS A SOFTWARE FOR FREE CALLED XBMC
THIS WILL GIVE YOU MOVIES SPORTS ALSO UK TV FOR FREE ,
WEE BIT OF SET UP TAKES AROUND 50MINS IN TOTAL TO SET UP BUT FREE FOR LIFE AND IS COOL TO USE,
WORKS ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD

MASHUP TV IS WHAT YOU LOOK FOR ONCE YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED AND SET UP ANY PROBS PM ME IL TRY AND ASSIST:thumb:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Well thought I would update this thread:

The Sky NOW box is basically a Roku box with their own firmware installed. After playing with both I have gone for the Roku3 as currently sitting in Wales at the inlaws ( for use in our home in Spain ) and out and about in our MH using my MiFi
The "in-Laws" have a great internet connection ( 50mb down and 20mb up ) so the HD side of the box is great, I have also tested it on my friend system, who has only 2mb down and 375kb up, and the picture quality is very good. I have tested it with my MiFi using the 3G sim network here in UK ( all you can eat data package ) and the HD picture is as good as a fixed internet connection, HOWEVER it is very very data hungry in HD - around 1/2 gbs over a 4/5 period of continuous use.
I can get/use BBC iPlayer, Ch4 Ch5 and Netflix and with the use of Plex can get ITV player. It also plays via the USB Plug movies ( however no support for AVI files for now, coming soon ) here is a nice lin:
https://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/movies-and-tv/by-popular

This device works very well over WiFi, but also has a ethernet connection ( which is faster than wifi ) - We will not be returning to Spain until late March and after getting in I will send an update here. I use a IP hider in Spain so know this box will work back to UK. If you are planning to watch UK TV in your MH ( whilst in the EU )you will need one of these with the fix in your router or on your laptop.

This will be the way ahead for TV in the motorhome as satellite TV outside the UK ( for UK Channels ONLY ) as we know it is dead. When they sort the bandwidth out on these little boxes so it does not need large amounts or they update the "old" routers in many places, which only throw out 150Mbs to the new ones that throw out 300Mbs. Time will tell.

I got the Now tv box and put Plex on it but channels are limited as Roku channels are not available.
Found some info on experts trying to get itv and sky go on it but it dried up. Pity as it is good.
I cancelled sign up before card details by opening another page, this works but the app does not work on iPad. I would have to register fully and then cancel.

:thumb:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I got the Now tv box and put Plex on it but channels are limited as Roku channels are not available.
Found some info on experts trying to get itv and sky go on it but it dried up. Pity as it is good.
I cancelled sign up before card details by opening another page, this works but the app does not work on iPad. I would have to register fully and then cancel.

:thumb:

That's why I did not buy the NOW tv box and went for the Roku3 box as no limits....... Sky limited the box to basic stuff so they could sell it cheap.
:Eeek:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
That's why I did not buy the NOW tv box and went for the Roku3 box as no limits....... Sky limited the box to basic stuff so they could sell it cheap.
:Eeek:
I already have a Smart tv but using the internet on it is very limited
I got the Now box as I thought I may be able to use the internet on that (I stream the footie and other sports) I do use a laptop for this but when away On hook up laptop uses too much power. As to iPad and iPhone limitations :Doh:

Can you use the Roku3 for streaming heavy stuff like footie?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I already have a Smart tv but using the internet on it is very limited
I got the Now box as I thought I may be able to use the internet on that (I stream the footie and other sports) I do use a laptop for this but when away On hook up laptop uses too much power. As to iPad and iPhone limitations :Doh:

Can you use the Roku3 for streaming heavy stuff like footie?

The NOW tv box is a Roku3 with less in the firmware, however the download streaming is the same as what the laptop would use. The difference is size and power used. I have not tried it yet in our MH, but with a "step down" from 12 volts to 5 volts the amps required would be much less than a laptop power supply. As soon as I can get back home and run some tests I will report back here with my findings.

I will add that I use my OWN PERSONAL Mifi and not the internet provided by any site where I'm staying as many do not provide enough bandwidth to stream TV, as many MH owners are finding right now trying to use Filmon in many sites.............
The days of filmon are limited as many Camp/MH sites across EU now block any access to site like BBC iPlayer ITV and Filmon. IPTV however cannot be blocked only the access to UK channels because of your IP address ( not being in UK ), but this can be sorted easy to show you as being in UK. I will not go into this on this forum as I'm sure most can use "google" for this.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
The NOW tv box is a Roku3 with less in the firmware, however the download streaming is the same as what the laptop would use. The difference is size and power used. I have not tried it yet in our MH, but with a "step down" from 12 volts to 5 volts the amps required would be much less than a laptop power supply. As soon as I can get back home and run some tests I will report back here with my findings.

I will add that I use my OWN PERSONAL Mifi and not the internet provided by any site where I'm staying as many do not provide enough bandwidth to stream TV, as many MH owners are finding right now trying to use Filmon in many sites.............
The days of filmon are limited as many Camp/MH sites across EU now block any access to site like BBC iPlayer ITV and Filmon. IPTV however cannot be blocked only the access to UK channels because of your IP address ( not being in UK ), but this can be sorted easy to show you as being in UK. I will not go into this on this forum as I'm sure most can use "google" for this.
Thanks for reply John and I look forward to your update, if you think something may help that you do not want to put on here please pm me as it would be appreciated :thumb:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Be careful when downloading and installing 'free' stuff especially if you are on a limited dongle download. :Sad:

I'm on a 3 Huawei dongle 10GB download £15 per month contract, more than enough to surf and visit many RV & motor home related forums :thumb:

However after buying and installing a Now TV device to my TV after a short bit of viewing suddenly ALL my 10GB was used up. :Sad: So now I will only connect it to a unlimited Broadband wifi signal if possible. :Smile:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Would Now Tv be any good in the Moho? Does anyone use it? :Smile:

The problem is getting enough gigabytes. Your choices are:

1. Use a mobile broadband SIM in a Mifi - relatively expensive
2. Use a phone SIM with all you can eat data - breaks contract, might eventually be found out.
3. Use campsite Wifi - variable quality. Will be vandalised if other campers work out who is using all the bandwidth.
4. Fit satellite - expensive to set up and requires large monthly commitment, but will work anywhere and much cheaper per Gb than 3G. Ideal for full timers who want to pull loads of GB. Note the connection is high latency. Rubbish for gaming. Ideal for TV usage.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
The problem is getting enough gigabytes. Your choices are:

1. Use a mobile broadband SIM in a Mifi - relatively expensive
2. Use a phone SIM with all you can eat data - breaks contract, might eventually be found out.
3. Use campsite Wifi - variable quality. Will be vandalised if other campers work out who is using all the bandwidth.
4. Fit satellite - expensive to set up and requires large monthly commitment, but will work anywhere and much cheaper per Gb than 3G. Ideal for full timers who want to pull loads of GB. [HI]Note the connection is high latency.[/HI] Rubbish for gaming. Ideal for TV usage.

Great post, please be aware that the "ping" ( google it ) time return to the box ( whatever you are using to watch IPTV ) needs to be low, somewhere around 60ms to 150ms - any higher and you will without doubt get freezing.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Used NOW TV for the first time yesterday using campsite wifi (helped with my iboost). Kept freezing on my laptop but worked great on my samsung phone. Looks like i'm going to have to buy a tablet, was looking for an excuse...:thumb:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Used NOW TV for the first time yesterday using campsite wifi (helped with my iboost). Kept freezing on my laptop but worked great on my samsung phone. Looks like i'm going to have to buy a tablet, was looking for an excuse...:thumb:

Have you gone until the service menu and changed the download speeds from auto ( which tries always to decode at highest speed ). Google: How to Set Streaming Quality - it for the buttons to press. I have not changed mine yet as at the in-laws, but understand that you can drop the decoding from HD to SD by changing this service menu. Have fun.....

Last edited:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Have you gone until the service menu and changed the download speeds from auto ( which tries always to decode at highest speed ). Google: How to Set Streaming Quality - it for the buttons to press. I have not changed mine yet as at the in-laws, but understand that you can drop the decoding from HD to SD by changing this service menu. Have fun.....

Thanks for that, I will try it out.
Still want a tablet though...:Sad:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Thanks for that, I will try it out.
Still want a tablet though...:Sad:

Even with a tablet you will not get better quality using the likes of Filmon as many public wifi only offer 150mb download and on A or G wireless network, when you really need 300mb and N wireless network to get freeze free TV.If many are using the free service on A or G networks it WILL NOT work for long. This is why many MH sites you go to cannot handle the bandwidth with so many trying to use filmon............
Things will get better when the old routers give up the ghost as new ones these days all have 300mb A/G/N wireless feedthrough as standard. Wireless N standard should be minimum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back