Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I was originally thinking of using 'mini' type exhaust bobbins , (one on each corner), to secure a 3' x 2' solar panel to the roof of our Hymer, drilling and tapping the roof to mount it. However, someone mentioned last year that they had stuck theirs on using a special 'glue'?
And so, do the team think it would be plausible to saw off the threaded rod(s) on on one side of the mini bobbins, and stick them to the roof? Would the surface area of the flat bobbins be strong enough to secure the panel? Mini bobbins are great, because they do allow a large degree of flexibility through movement, rather then having the panel secured directly to the roof. Any ideas on this would be gratefully accepted.
Ta, Dave. :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The special glue used is Sikaflex. I would not think bobbins would have enough area to hold solar panels down. Am not a lover of drilling holes in motorhome roofs either. I have 4 panels on the roof all secured with Sikaflex with no problems. Make sure you leave an air space under the panels.

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry you have lost me with 'exhaust bobbins' but my panel was professionally fitted with corner brackets Sikaflexed to the roof, no drilling of holes at all other than for the gland where the cable comes through into the van. It has been fitted for 3 years and been no problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I was originally thinking of using 'mini' type exhaust bobbins , (one on each corner), to secure a 3' x 2' solar panel to the roof of our Hymer, drilling and tapping the roof to mount it. However, someone mentioned last year that they had stuck theirs on using a special 'glue'?
And so, do the team think it would be plausible to saw off the threaded rod(s) on on one side of the mini bobbins, and stick them to the roof? Would the surface area of the flat bobbins be strong enough to secure the panel? Mini bobbins are great, because they do allow a large degree of flexibility through movement, rather then having the panel secured directly to the roof. Any ideas on this would be gratefully accepted.

Hi Tootles, I have used Silkaflex fairly extensively on all three of the sailing yachts I've owned and it is brilliant stuff, however I can't get my head around why you need the suspension that these bobbins will give you.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Corner fixing brackets on Ebay less than £20 for 4 and no drilling using Sikaflex.

Your choice

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hi Tootles, As you will see from the picture my Solar panel is sitting on 4 corner mounts. They are stuck to the roof with Sikaflex 512. This stuff will go on creamy and then become cured but not hard. Sticks like the proverbial ...............I have drilled mounts and used stainless steel self tappers to attach panel to mounts
No need to :Eeek:drill roof :Eeek:
Just 1 hole through roof for cables via box, also stuck with Sikaflex 512.

Peter

Attachments

• ROOF.jpg
    ROOF.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 74

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Broken Link Removed
or you can use some ali angle iron ---both glued to roof using Sikaflex or tool station pu 40 :winky:
terry

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Tootles, I have used Silkaflex fairly extensively on all three of the sailing yachts I've owned and it is brilliant stuff, however I can't get my head around why you need the suspension that these bobbins will give you.

These exhaust mounting bobbins act as a shock dampener. I have used them extensively in the past as generator shock/vibration absorbers, and of course by using them you can remove the panel to replace if necessary.
I wasnt aware that special corner brackets were available, and so thanks to all for that. :thumb:

Attachments

• bobbins.JPG
    bobbins.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 4
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
These exhaust mounting bobbins act as a shock dampener. I have used them extensively in the past as generator shock/vibration absorbers, and of course by using them you can remove the panel to replace if necessary.
I wasnt aware that special corner brackets were available, and so thanks to all for that. :thumb:

Three of those bobbins hold the air filter casing to the engine bay of my Ducato.
They broke when I tried to remove the casing to get at the fuel filter.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

In a word NO

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]These exhaust mounting bobbins act as a shock dampener.[/HI] I have used them extensively in the past as generator shock/vibration absorbers, and of course by using them you can remove the panel to replace if necessary.

Yes I knew exactly what you meant by your description, I used one on the back of an old chain saw where the rubber mounting had failed over the years, best of luck with the Silki :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Tootles, just get some brackets or corner fixings, use sikaflex great stuff.

Mine have been from one van to another including camos dome using the stuff, using your bobbins will require roof driilng so why bother increasing the risk of damp

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
The threaded parts of your bobbins will not be long enough to penetrate your roof and get a nut on it anyway, and you would need a washer to spread a bit of the load. Get the plastic mounts and mastic it down with Sikaflex. I started a thread on "solar" forum on this site "Sikaflexing" got lots of good advice and tips like using 3mm tile spacers to get your depth of mastic correct, do a search.

I used bolts as well but that was to do with the construction of my roof.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
In a word NO

Thanks for your in depth reply......:Smile:

Just ordered the corner panels, and the through-roof marine two pin plug/socket. Many thanks to all of you who have helped out on this. :thumb::thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for your in depth reply......:Smile:

Just ordered the corner panels, and the through-roof marine two pin plug/socket. Many thanks to all of you who have helped out on this. :thumb::thumb:

This sounds like a problem area waiting to happen,(built in weakness) whats up with the standard well proven cable gland
G

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This sounds like a problem area waiting to happen,(built in weakness) whats up with the standard well proven cable gland
G

Had two on the roof of the boat for 20 years, no problems, and this way in can be removed at any time, just leaving the capped off socket. :thumb:

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Good afternoon, earlier in this thread someone mentioned Tool Station PU 40.
Seems a good price compared to Sika. Has anyone used it & with what success ?
Would be interested to hear.
Thanks.
Barrie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back