Spare Thetford cassette: how to carry ? (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Our weakest link for autonomy is the loo or should I say the cassette. With typically 5 people on board and 3 being under 8yrs old we run out of cassette space before anything else.

I wondered about buying a second cassette which seems a reasonable solution but I'm not keen on keeping it in the van, even the garage. Is there any way to store these externally ? we have loads of space under the van at the back and I thought about a way of fixing it there some how ?

Anyone got any ideas on this ?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I keep the spare cassette in the old gas locker which has become available due to fitting underslung lpg tank.

I believe there is a cassette carrier that can be fixed under the motorhome probably made by Fiamma.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I keep the spare cassette in the old gas locker which has become available due to fitting underslung lpg tank.

I believe there is a cassette carrier that can be fixed under the motorhome probably made by Fiamma.

OK thanks, hadn't thought of Fiamma but after your post I found it:

http://www.fiammastore.com/Water-Carriers--Storage-and-Fittings/Fiamma-Porta-Kassett-Tank-Container

Looks like it would do the job. Wonder how secure they are ? i.e. risk of them falling off, that'd make a hell of a mess if the spare cassette was full:whatthe:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Interested to know from anyone that's used one of these, any good ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
What's wrong with the garage?

We keep ours there, no leaks to report in the past 3 years!:thumb:

When you do buy your spare, go for the 'Fresh Up Kit', you get a new cassette, toilet seat and chemicals for less than a cassette on its own!

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its fiamma, buy it from johns cross with a 10% funster discount:thumb:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
What's wrong with the garage?

We keep ours there, no leaks to report in the past 3 years!:thumb:

When you do buy your spare, go for the 'Fresh Up Kit', you get a new cassette, toilet seat and chemicals for less than a cassette on its own!

I'd save the 100 quid and use a lidded storage box in the garage.

Garage is a posh word for what we actually have ie it's an underbed storage area that's already full of kit. Wasn't keen on sleeping 6" away from some chocolate logs and having them next to the BBQ. Lidded storage box may solve that though but I'd have to juggle things around to find some space for it, maybe could find some space in the underfloor storage

And thanks for the tip on the fresh up kit, saw these at the weekend in the local shop, just assumed they would be more expensive.

if its fiamma, buy it from johns cross with a 10% funster discount:thumb:

Yep thank's for that, good tip. May even try to call in when we are back at Easter.

Who would of thought a box of S*@T would be so challenging to store:roflmto:

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Garage is a posh word for what we actually have ie it's an underbed storage area that's already full of kit. Wasn't keen on sleeping 6" away from some chocolate logs and having them next to the BBQ. Lidded storage box may solve that though but I'd have to juggle things around to find some space for it, maybe underfloor.:

We store our barbeque on top of our spare cassette!:roflmto:

Anyone for a burger? Hotdog perhaps?::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
You could always get one of these,.,

Broken Link Removed

Not sure ours would smell as sweet as roses, and the O2 symbol may need changing to CH4.

Mind you my old sports bag probably has a similar aroma so that could come in handy.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with the english rugby team kit bag the crap is normally on the outside

tedontour

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
van conversion autocruise
Exp
since 1976
Our weakest link for autonomy is the loo or should I say the cassette. With typically 5 people on board and 3 being under 8yrs old we run out of cassette space before anything else.

I wondered about buying a second cassette which seems a reasonable solution but I'm not keen on keeping it in the van, even the garage. Is there any way to store these externally ? we have loads of space under the van at the back and I thought about a way of fixing it there some how ?

leave the kids at home with the grandperants ??? :thumb:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

Just wrap the full one in cling film, use plenty, and you will never have an accident when storing it, and leek proof to, also put into holdall as well for ease of handling, SIMPLES Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just wrap the full one in cling film, use plenty, and you will never have an accident when storing it, and leek proof to, also put into holdall as well for ease of handling, SIMPLES Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Wrapping a block of cheese with clingfilm isn't that easy, but wrapping a turd filled plastic box now that's what I call fun, and the unwrapping every 48hrs, that must be even better.....

It will keep it clean but I suspect it's not the easiest task.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
leave the kids at home with the grandperants ??? :thumb:

That would work although the 2400km drive for the drop off may extend the journey some what:Eeek:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'd get a box with a tight fitting lid, line the box with one of those puppy pad things in case of any leaks, add full cassette, then use a charcoal oven liner placed on top to absorb any whiffs, close lid, possibly wrap a bungee cord round, place under bed, jobs a good un (so to speak!).

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I've trained my two youngsters to only use the flush water for number twos, if there having a wee just open the trap to let it go then spray a solution of freshener round the bowl
With non bio in the cassette we can go around a week before emptying.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Options:

• Get a spare cassette and put the 'full' one in an airtight/watertight storage box in the garage. You could use a picnic cool box (the type you use with gel ice blocks) as these are fairly cheap and water proof, or look for airtight ones such as those used by canoeists, scuba divers etc, which come in a variety of sizes/types:

• Don't bother with a spare cassette and instead decant the contents into another container, then store that in the above box - much cheaper option but it really depends on how 'hands on' you want to be! ::bigsmile: If you do go down this route then something like one of the below fluid containers would be the best I would think or something a bit smaller as you could just poor out the 'fluid' part!:
Broken Link Removed

• Another option is to use public facilities wherever possible to reduce the amount of 'deposits' in the first place!:Blush:

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Just get the wife to empty it more frequently.

Let's be honest, it's no problem, is it ?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Nmokg9N7zO0"]caravan toilet - YouTube[/ame]

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We carry a spare even though there are only two of us. We have a carry box on the back bike rack and it can go in there if full. We've actually only had to use it once though. There are lots of emptying places.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I did do a 'home made prototype' job (not THAT type of job! :Doh:) on a previous MH as the cassette on that was small so I used a container (a black caravan waste water type one) into which we could decant the contents of the original cassette if we needed to, not long after though we changed the van so it never got used in anger! This is what I posted about it on another forum:

I finally got my hands on a black waste water carrier with a screw cap on the top and on the side so the project for today was to make a holder for it under the MH.

I used an old fridge veg basket which is plastic covered wire and is quite robust (I can't even bend it so they obviously made fridge baskets much stronger years ago) so strong enough for when the cassette has something in it; some lengths of chain, 4 shackles, a non-locking spring gate carabena, large threaded hook, metal plates and nuts, bolts and spring washers.

I attached the basket on one of the long sides to the base of the garage with the bolts etc, using the plates to ensure it was well secured and couldn't move. I then shackled the sections of chain to either end of the basket and the lower side, bringing them together at a shackle to which the carabena has been secured. I then marked the position for the large threaded hook and attached it through the garage floor using a bolt; the carabena attaches to the hook to secure everything. To stop the chains rattling and make it a tighter fit for the container (although it's already held well as the basket is nice and snug) I'll cover the chains with some pipe insulation and/or old hose pipe and before I tighten everything up I'll put some sealant into all the holes which I've drilled through the floor of the garage to ensure no water gets into the base, both from underneath and within the garage.

The weight is mainly supported at the front where the 2 silver brackets are which go over both the thinner and thicker wire, you can't really see clearly from the photos how secure it will be as I haven't tightened it all up yet, once I've put the sealant in and tightened everything up it will be very secure. As we only intend to use it in an emergency it won't get full so shouldn't be that heavy anyway.

The black waste container can now be used either for the toilet waste or as a grey waste container if we're 'static' for a while and need to drain our grey waste tank - no having to move the van, or dribbling!

If anyone wants a link to the original thread let me know and I'll PM it to you.:RollEyes:

Attachments

• 1g.jpg
    1g.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 1h.jpg
    1h.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 1i.jpg
    1i.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 114

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
loo

I noticed you have a Liaka and my first motorhome was a Liaka 3L and it had a pull out loo ,like yours, but also there was a pull switch which open a valve to a big loo waste tank under the van ,separate from the waste water tank, but the problem was you had to fine the campsite with a place to empty the wasn't loo were you drive over just a idea if your motorhome has got one and you have not been told about it ? good luck:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back