Favourite authors (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Noticed in the pass your time thread that there are a number of readers, who are your favourite authors?
Mine are, Michael Connolly, Harlan Coben, Robert Crais, Peter Robinson, Karin Slaughter, James Patterson, Linwood Barclay, Mary Higgins Clarke, Jeffrey Deaver, Dean Koontz.

Funny how reading habits changed, used to read romantic fiction when I was younger, Georgette Heyer, Catherine Cookson etc.,:Smile:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, I enjoy most of those too Bertha, have you tried lee child or Robert B Parker?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Arthur C Clarke, E.E. Doc Smith, Asimov, Kurt Vonegut....Beginning to notice a pattern developing...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

James Patterson, Karin Slaughter, Charles de Lint, Val McDermott, Ellis Peters, Peter Robinson, just to name but a few.....

Just books really...

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Hi, I enjoy most of those too Bertha, have you tried lee child or Robert B Parker?

I don't know how I missed out Lee Child, read most of his, never read Parker but will give him a try :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Joe Halderman ( and any one in to scifi who has not read The Forever War has no idea what they are missing..

E E Doc Smith

Harry Harrison ( Some of his stuff fills ALL my literary needs, in that is it funny and scifi )

Issac Asimov

And Arthur C Clarke ( though I oft find his works somewhat laborious truth be told ( esp taking The Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed agin Rendezvous with Rama )

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Arthur C Clarke, E.E. Doc Smith, Asimov, Kurt Vonegut....Beginning to notice a pattern developing...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

James Patterson, Karin Slaughter, Charles de Lint, Val McDermott, Ellis Peters, Peter Robinson, just to name but a few.....

Just books really...

The first lot are on my OHs side of the bed ::bigsmile:
Missed out Val McDermid from my list :thumb:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I love watching sci fi but rarely read any so on jaws recommend I've just got joe haldeman.

I did go through a zombie phase but had to stop when I started hoarding food and prepping!

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I love watching sci fi but rarely read any so on jaws recommend I've just got joe haldeman.

I did go through a zombie phase but had to stop when I started hoarding food and prepping!

I watch sci fi only if OH is, sometimes find it to complicated::bigsmile: Love Zombie films, have decided when the Zombie Apocolypse happens will take refuge in my cabin in the wilds of Argyll, already have lots of tinned food and a chainsaw. :roflmto:

Don't think I'll read anymore Child as I'll visualise Tom Cruise as Reacher which will spoil it for me.::Sad:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Bryce Courtney writes a good yarn "Smokey Joes Café" is true to life

Wilber Smith , Bernard Cornwall, (NO not Sharpe:Doh:) his Lords of the North, Pale Riders etc I can read over and over again
John Grisham's another

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Wilbur Smith, Ken Follet, and Stephen King even though the latter gives me bad dreams.

I used to like John Grisham but I think he has gone downhill

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If it's printed I'll read it! However my favourites at the moment, and not in any order of preference:

Josephine Tey
Audrey Niffenegger
Terry Pratchett
Anne McCaffrey's earlier stuff
Jean Auel (but again it became predictable)

Just a small sample of the fiction - but I'll read almost anything except horror and top shelf.

I read a lot of history, Michael K Jones and Michael Hicks are pretty topical with RIII's bones being found. If I could be bothered I'd get up and look at more titles and authors. Neil Oliver's books are generalist but an easy read - and he is a very nice person.

I've started to listen to audio books as I can iron or do craft work at the same time. The choice is limited but it makes me chose authors I might not have considered before.

Michael Rosen
Charlie Connelly (loved "Attention All Shipping")
Kim Wilkins and "Giants of the Frost", a bit of an airport book but the reader was terrific so made the suspense tangible.
Geraldine Brooks - "The People of the Book" - that was fabulous.
Peter May's trilogy set on Lewis as I know all the places in Edinburgh and The Western Isles
Camilla Lackberg for a bit of Scandanavian crime
Kathleen Tessaro
and Norah Lofts is a favourite in print and spoken
Mary Wesley for a quick, easy, fun read.

There are a LOT more.

My present read is Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey and audiobook is "The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey but I just started that.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
many, many but do like Gerald Seymour and waiting for one on the Syrian situation.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
The late Tony Hillerman, and now his daughter as well, Margaret Coel and Craig JoHnson, all of whom wrote novels about Wyoming or in Hillermans , novels about the Navajo Tribal Police.
I also like Lee Child, but cannot watch the film with Tom Cruise in it Oh Please!!.
I also like Stephen Leather's Spider Shepherd mysteries, and nearly all western novels by any author, as long as it is realistic.:thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Eclectic mix

:winky::winky:

Stephen King: John Grisham: Tom Sharpe: PG Wodehouse:
RF Delderfield. JK Rowling .Dickens, Shakespeare. Bernard Cornwell
More or Less anything except Sci Fi.

:Smile::Smile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Anyone who likes SciFi should try Iain M Banks, who died all too young last year. The last book of his I read, The Algebraist, is exceptional for inventiveness, suspense and just good writing. In his other guise as plain Iain Banks he was a very successful main stream writer.

Some of his other SciFi books take some getting used to as they are not quite what you expect. Surface Detail reads like an historical novel but bit by bit you realise there are aliens tucked away inside it. Very subtle but some of it is not for the easily offended. The descriptions of medieval torture made me squirm.

There is a whole series called The Culture which are only loosely connected but the first of them, Consider Phlebas would be as good an introduction to his books as any. It is more what you expect from a conventional SciFi book - space battles and three legged aliens with big guns. That sort of thing.

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Anyone who likes SciFi should try Iain M Banks, who died all too young last year. The last book of his I read, The Algebraist, is exceptional for inventiveness, suspense and just good writing. In his other guise as plain Iain Banks he was a very successful main stream writer.

Some of his other SciFi books take some getting used to as they are not quite what you expect. Surface Detail reads like an historical novel but bit by bit you realise there are aliens tucked away inside it. Very subtle but some of it is not for the easily offended. The descriptions of medieval torture made me squirm.

There is a whole series called The Culture which are only loosely connected but the first of them, Consider Phlebas would be as good an introduction to his books as any. It is more what you expect from a conventional SciFi book - space battles and three legged aliens with big guns. That sort of thing.

Not a particular lover of many sci fi books but I have a signed book by Iain Banks and keep wondering if it worth anything.. selling everything to keep motorhome on road. .......

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I agree with Jaws about Joe Haldeman (The Forever War, and All My Sins Remembered), and Harry Harrison, especially The Stainless Steel Rat and Bill The Galactic Hero. Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse V is a firm favourite too - so it goes.

My all-time favourite author is Alan Moore (he of graphic novel and comic strip fame), and his foray into paragraphed text called Voice of the Fire is a great read, although the first chapter takes a bit of concentration - the literary equivalent of eating fudge cheesecake. I'm also impressed by Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, despite its rather dark gothic nature.

Outside of Science Fiction I rate Michael Herr's Dispatches very highly, and am thoroughly enjoying working my way through the Biggles books of Captain W E Johns, which I never read in childhood.

Other authors I've liked include Raymond Chandler, C S Forester, and Homer (Odyssey, not Simpson).

Last edited:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Anyone into surreal comedy has to read the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde - brilliant :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Make sure you read them in order (start with "The Eyre Affair") otherwise you'll be totally confused

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Bryce Courtney writes a good yarn "Smokey Joes Café" is true to life
Wilber Smith , Bernard Cornwall, (NO not Sharpe:Doh:) his Lords of the North, Pale Riders etc I can read over and over again
John Grisham's another

Haven't read Bryce Courtney but do like Wilbur Smith and read nearly all Bernard Cornwell, like you excluding Sharpe having seen all the TV series, yet to read his Starbuck books. Particularly liked the Arthur and Saxon series. Another favourite is Conn Iggulden and his Emperor series on Julius Caesar, just finished the fifth and final book on Kublai Khan in the Conqueror series. Desmond Bagley, Gavin Lyall, Hammond Innes are all old favourites too, oh and not forgetting Capt.W. E. Johns. :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Dennis Wheatly, Neville Shute, Bernard Cornwall, Hammond Innes, Catherine Cookson, Charles Dickens. Ian Flemming.
All the above have had some books made into a film or two.
Some of the best, To the Devil a daughter, Mephiso Waltz.

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
I mostly read horror, James Herbert being my favourite author, now sadly recently deceased.

Generally not a Stephen King fan, but I am currently thoroughly enjoying Under The Dome having wasted far too much time and yet another terrible SK tv adaption recently - I decided to read the book so I would no longer have to keep watching!

Also like a good end of the world sc-fi/dystopia. John Wyndham and JG Ballard firm favourites.

James Clavell also a favourite author.

(I think perhaps I should find some newer authors! I can't help it, I love the smell of a old yellowed penguin paperback)

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
A J Quinell

:thumb: Just found this author, new to me but has been publishing for some while under this pseudonym.
(Is he someone more well known ? )
Does anyone else like his stuff or know anything more about him. I find him very descriptive, with good plots.:Smile:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A J Quinnell

:thumb: Just found this author, new to me but has been publishing for some while under this pseudonym.
(Is he someone more well known ? )
Does anyone else like his stuff or know anything more about him. I find him very descriptive, with good plots.:Smile:

A J Quinnell was a pseudonym used by Philip Nicholson who had the same literary agent as J K Rowling. That you wikipedia!

Last edited:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:ROFLMAO:
A J Quinnell was a pseudonym used by Philip Nicholson who had the same literary agent as J K Rowling. That you wikipedia!

Better plots than that ' ARRY ' had to cope with:thumb:
and apparently I'm in good company (according to Wiki) He's all the rave in : Japan:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I've been intending to download the Jasper fforde books onto me Kindle for about 2 years. May get it done ready for this year's holidays!

Also, in September I think, the third book set at The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences is due out. First two were reasonably exciting and quite hilarious, if one has a sense of the ridiculous, and one certainly has that -so this one better be too!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back