Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
In the early 1970's with road tax approaching £250 it was realised the system could not go on. So the government scrapped road tax, yes they scrapped it and added an extra charge3 on fuel so that those who used the most paid the most, on the face of it a very good and fair decision.
However because insurance and MOT's had to be checked they kept issuing the tax disc, now renamed VED and reduced the price to £5 so quite a reduction and after all it was only for checking your documents wasn't it.
Oh the gullible Brits fell for it, and over time the cost of checking just kept rising back to the original level and they still keep the extra tax on fuel.
Well now they are doing away with the tax disc and document checking is done by computer so will they drop the VED charge?
Will they hell as like they will continue to steal your money and give nowt in return. Time someone was brought to account over this it really is.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In the early 1970's with road tax approaching £250 it was realised the system could not go on. So the government scrapped road tax, yes they scrapped it and added an extra charge3 on fuel so that those who used the most paid the most, on the face of it a very good and fair decision.
However because insurance and MOT's had to be checked they kept issuing the tax disc, now renamed VED and reduced the price to £5 so quite a reduction and after all it was only for checking your documents wasn't it.
Oh the gullible Brits fell for it, and over time the cost of checking just kept rising back to the original level and they still keep the extra tax on fuel.
Well now they are doing away with the tax disc and document checking is done by computer so will they drop the VED charge?
Will they hell as like they will continue to steal your money and give nowt in return. Time someone was brought to account over this it really is.

Is this a dream:Eeek::Eeek:
I don't remember it , probably fiver yeah but not the 250 before it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Oops your right it was £25, still the same as £250 today, hee hee
the actual figures are not important however its the fact that the licence was kept ONLY for the purpose of checking the insurance and MOT, at least that is what we were told when being conned at the time.
From the list shown I'm wrong so where did the idea get implanted in my mind? I have not been to a fun meet for ages and don't drink indoors.
It has irked me for years, I've written to several MP's about it and their reply was "we are not responsible for promises made by a previous administration."
I give up where is the nearest life termination centre.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oops your right it was £25, still the same as £250 today, hee hee
the actual figures are not important however its the fact that the licence was kept ONLY for the purpose of checking the insurance and MOT, at least that is what we were told when being conned at the time.
From the list shown I'm wrong so where did the idea get implanted in my mind? I have not been to a fun meet for ages and don't drink indoors.
It has irked me for years, I've written to several MP's about it and their reply was "we are not responsible for promises made by a previous administration."
I give up where is the nearest life termination centre.

maybe your local post office was 'on the make' Roger. :ROFLMAO:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I was about in the 60s and 70s and can't remember any of this happening or being told it was happening (and yes I can remember the 60s and I was there). The figures Pappajohn posted show that the fee did not dip at all. So maybe you heard it on the grapevine, Marvyn?

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I recon it was in a parallel universe, come to think of it I was abducted in the 70's:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
In the [HI]early 1970's[/HI] with road tax approaching [HI]£250[/HI] it was realised the system could not go on. So the government scrapped road tax, yes they scrapped it and added an extra charge3 on fuel so that those who used the most paid the most, on the face of it a very good and fair decision.

In the early 70's just before decimalisation when you could still buy RFL or VED for 4 months at a cost of £9. 15s. 00d and a whole year for £25.00.

There was plenty of talk about abolishing it but it NEVER happened, I wish it would, even now, and if it were added to fuel then the heavy mileage people would pay and we would pay through increased prices at the supermarkets and the whole thing would be yet another Bleedin' rip off........

rant over, darkened room, sorry Roger and everyone else........Griff

sorry guys, just read the other posts.

Parallel Universe Roger, you still are ain't ya?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Well yes, but at least they spend it all on road maintenance :RollEyes:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Did someone speak? ok nurse, I'm coming, is it dinner time already, don't forget my spoon and pusher. Can I get some sprinkles on my custard, what do you mean I can't have custard on my kippers.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm off to another universe don't like this one any more.
now where can I find free speech and have custard on my kippers?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Well yes, but at least they spend it all on road maintenance :RollEyes:

No they don't. VED is classed as general taxation and is not a hypothecated tax used solely for road building/maintenance. In fact, 'road tax' has been insufficient to cover the cost of roads since soon after its introduction in 1888. Between 1920 and 1937 it was ring-fenced for road costs, but even then, general taxation had to be used to pay for the roads. From 1937 onwards VED or 'Road Tax' has been put into general taxation, along with income tax, VAT, inheritance tax etc. On which point, of course, and at the risk of starting another 'hare running', National Insurance contributions are also part of general taxation and are not reserved for pensions or the NHS etc.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No they don't. VED is classed as general taxation and is not a hypothecated tax used solely for road building/maintenance. In fact, 'road tax' has been insufficient to cover the cost of roads since soon after its introduction in 1888. Between 1920 and 1937 it was ring-fenced for road costs, but even then, general taxation had to be used to pay for the roads. From 1937 onwards VED or 'Road Tax' has been put into general taxation, along with income tax, VAT, inheritance tax etc. On which point, of course, and at the risk of starting another 'hare running', National Insurance contributions are also part of general taxation and are not reserved for pensions or the NHS etc.
I think the original comment might have been sarcastic!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the original comment might have been sarcastic!

Perhaps so, but it is not uncommon to hear drivers say of other road users, such as cyclists, "they don't even pay tax for the roads". I was merely dispelling a myth, albeit probably not one believed by the previous poster. :roflmto:

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
I was about in the 60s and 70s and can't remember any of this happening or being told it was happening (and yes I can remember the 60s and I was there). The figures Pappajohn posted show that the fee did not dip at all. So maybe you heard it on the grapevine, Marvyn?
AWWw! :winky: Give the guy a chance he meant well. We all know its a big con!:ROFLMAO:

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
In the early 70's just before decimalisation when you could still buy RFL or VED for 4 months at a cost of £9. 15s. 00d and a whole year for £25.00.

There was plenty of talk about abolishing it but it NEVER happened, I wish it would, even now, and if it were added to fuel then the heavy mileage people would pay and we would pay through increased prices at the supermarkets and the whole thing would be yet another Bleedin' rip off........

rant over, darkened room, sorry Roger and everyone else........Griff

sorry guys, just read the other posts.

Parallel Universe Roger, you still are ain't ya?

But they could give a concessionary rate for commercial vehicles, but they wont!:Angry:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is no incentive to change the system, which as it stands encourages people to at least consider buying smaller less polluting vehicles.

Putting the price up on fuel by adding yet more tax to it would be a certain vote loser. It might be a better system but what Joe Public doesn't like is change.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
It didn't apply to my Raleigh Chopper at the time so I don't remember...
images

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back