Connection problems with satellite receiver and tv (1 Viewer)

Popsickle

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since Feb 2014
Hi,
I am very new to motor homing, in fact have not ventured out yet other than taking delivery of my vehicle!
Am trying everything out to make sure I know how to use it all!
I have bought a multimo satellite system, complete with receiver, tuner etc and have also purchased a "cello" 16inch tv. Problem is the receiver has scart connections and the tv has HDMI I am not technically minded so big problems. The suppliers of the satellite system have very kindly provided me with a scart cable fitted with " phono" connectors at other end. I have connected all up but the tv keeps telling me there is no signal! I believe that I have found Astra as the signal appeared strong. Can someone tell me which source on the tv I should select e.g. AV, DTV etc. I am hoping to start travelling in the next week or so and would like to be able to use the television etc. I have checked that the tv works by testing it in the house and the receiver appears to work but I am unable to connect it in the house as it was only supplied with a 12 volt connection.:Sad::cry::cry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you go into source on the tv and select av or possibly component, depends on model, but flick through till you see a signal. obviously have the sat decoder plugged in, connected and turned on. it really is very simple but can be frustrating if you dont know which source to select and getting locked onto the correct satellite. there are a few close to each other which confuses many new users. you think you have it locked on only to find its all foreign or encrypted channels.

mind dont go expecting a small multimo dish to pick anything up further south than just over the channel, as the satellites have recently been moved leading to making it more uk focused for uk channels

OP
OP
P

Popsickle

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since Feb 2014
Many thanks for help. I wish I had known about the satellites being moved as I am going to be touring France for several months!!!:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as long as the sat receiver is turned on you dont need a sat signal to figure out which 'source' mode to use for the tv.
It should show either a receiver 'home' page (manufacturer logo), a 'no signal' message or a menu page.

Once you sort that out you can then begin ripping out handfuls of hair trying to find the correct satellite. :roflmto:

Ideally you could use an HDMI to Scart converter.

Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many thanks for help. I wish I had known about the satellites being moved as I am going to be touring France for several months!!!:Doh:

you will still get some English language programs on other satellites (Astra one etc) but certainly not BBC/ITV and their derivitives.
You might with a 2.5mtr dish but thats not going to happen. :roflmto:

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
if you go into source on the tv and select av or possibly component, depends on model, but flick through till you see a signal. obviously have the sat decoder plugged in, connected and turned on. it really is very simple but can be frustrating if you dont know which source to select and getting locked onto the correct satellite. there are a few close to each other which confuses many new users. you think you have it locked on only to find its all foreign or encrypted channels.

mind dont go expecting a small multimo dish to pick anything up further south than just over the channel, as the satellites have recently been moved leading to making it more uk focused for uk channels

I'm a newbie what do you mean sat moved

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

[HI]mind dont go expecting a small multimo dish to pick anything up further south than just over the channel, as the satellites have recently been moved leading to making it more uk focused for uk channels
[/HI]

we had an Arcon sweety which is the equivalent of the multimo you have at 37cm diameter. we used ours well down to Lyon before loosing channels on a 12v sky box. now we use the bigger Arcon version 57cm and to date that has been good to the Spanish Border ( not tried it past that ) no problem.

who knows what we will get until they stop messing with the satellite juggling until each set up is tried and tested.

just make sure you are very familiar with setting up your dish, do it at home if you can. i can set ours up in less than 10 mins and that includes setting up a tripod and dish.:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

dont worry as far as you are concerned the sat is in the same place... the beams however are reported to be more focussed,.... so may have a smaller receiver footprint... but that as far as i know is not finalised as yet.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

the astra satellites are all very close together in the same orbit, except astra one, but the sat owners keep sending new ones up to replace ones at the end of there useful life.
Last year a new sat was launched (astra N) which replaced astra 2D (i think it was)

The tv companies then reshuffle the frequencies as their channels are moved to the new satellite.

The new satellite is aimed specifically at the UK and is unlikely to be available far into northern France

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Ideally you could use an HDMI to Scart converter.

Broken Link Removed

double check on that an HDMI to Scart is not the same as Scart to HDMI which is what I suspect you need costs around £40
The ebay item allows HDMI items to be used on an OLD scart TV it does not work the other way around, that is a different Box you need Scart to HDMI upscaler
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I purchased Cello with freesat, the full instruction manual is available on line for Cello. As the TV has freesat you can connect the dish directly to the TV digital terminal on the left hand side of the TV looking at the front.
Switch on the tv, press the source on the remote then select Saterllite
on the quick start. If you have Astra 2 it should tune automatically.

HOWEVER, after a year of pain trying to get the thing to work I bought an Oyster Autoscew system . Guess what , still no joy after three returns to Cello we final found the fault to be a defect in the TV tuner. They have now replaced it with a new one, Check the DVD player if it has one mine was also faulty.

As a back up while wandering around John Lewis I spotted an Avtex
on special offer which I snapped up. J L give a five year warranty,
well worth having after my first experience. and they are only a 20minute drive away.

Hope you fair better than I did.

Good Luck.

Martin2603

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
double check on that an HDMI to Scart is not the same as Scart to HDMI which is what I suspect you need costs around £40
The ebay item allows HDMI items to be used on an OLD scart TV it does not work the other way around, that is a different Box you need Scart to HDMI upscaler
Broken Link Removed

correct Roger....just testing :ROFLMAO:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, the dish you have will work great in the UK with the new footprint, but for France you will be lucky, you could get away with a 60cm, but I would go for a 80cm on a tripod to be sure to get astra 2 and your english tv. :Smile:
Once you get the hang of setting it up, :winky: it gets easier. :ROFLMAO:

See This: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?m...l=54.876607,-4.064941&spn=10.228184,19.753418

Thanks Satandpcguy for providing this link.

:thumb: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back