water hose fittings (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Can anyone tell me what type of water hose fitting is most commonly used in Europe at aires and campsites? Will I need a variety of adaptors or is there a universal end? I don't fancy (Glynn :ROFLMAO:) filling up the Hymer with a small water container as it could take a long time ::bigsmile:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Can anyone tell me what type of water hose fitting is most commonly used in Europe at aires and campsites? Will I need a variety of adaptors or is there a universal end? I don't fancy (Glynn :ROFLMAO:) filling up the Hymer with a small water container as it could take a long time ::bigsmile:

Just take a whole pile. There is no standard. Even take weird ones you can't fathom. You can trust you will come across something and that weird shaped piece of plastic with the odd rubber grommit will suddenly make sense.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
take a good mix of adaptors.

I believe the French commonly use the same as us, threaded tap, but the thread is larger than ours.

Large and small threaded (hoselok do one with both sizes in one) and a push-on type with a wing nut type hose clip for unthreaded taps.(two sizes..18mm and 24mm)

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

You can never have too many adaptors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
hose%20adapters-M.jpg

The grey/red is from carrefoure the red fits many bournes

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The majority of bournes have a large threaded tap like this but there are small ones too like at home and smaller still where the white adaptor will suit.
Funicular5-L.jpg

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
so as a starting point I was going to order this: Broken Link Removed

Would it be cheaper to buy at the Peterborough show or should I just buy it now from Ebay?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Personally I would not recommend one of those. The small bores make for a painfully slow delivery of water.
I just use any pipe as I have a water filter for drinking water

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
so as a starting point I was going to order this: Broken Link Removed

Would it be cheaper to buy at the Peterborough show or should I just buy it now from Ebay?

If you like a flat, easy to store hose that is food grade and doesn't have to be completely unrolled to be used that's not a bad product. But it looks like you need to connect another hose to the centre to get it in your tank...

I got a two bob hose that I cut into two pieces, one short one long. Seems fine

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I recommend these for tank filling. It replaces your filler cap and there are two types, the white for tanks that have overflows and blue for those without

CA_05161321340803-L.jpg

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Cheapo garden hose, bag of adaptors. We drink the French tap water but fill plastic containers for drinking. No need for food grade hose to wash with and no need to unroll and roll back a flat type of hose.
ps. Mole grips may be useful in an emergency, many French cemeteries are on edge of village and will have stand-pipe but possibly without handle!:thumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
B&Q do a small diameter hose real that works pretty well for us for less than a tenner. I think it is 15m long. We have a separate 10m length of hose as well and a connector like the one on the right of techno100's photo.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The screw on adaptor that is not so readily available is the 1" one, the largest, so if you see one buy it. Preferably 2 as it's very easy to leave them on the tap (I have several times)
Only occasionally seen at garden centres. Used on a few French taps.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
don't knock the watering can, I find it a great tool, keeps Bevs water consumption in the shower a bit keener when I tell het she only has 10 litres!!

top up twice a day with 10 litres x 2, that is a lot of water if you don't shower daily

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
don't knock the watering can, I find it a great tool, keeps Bevs water consumption in the shower a bit keener when I tell het she only has 10 litres!!

top up twice a day with 10 litres x 2, that is a lot of water if you don't shower daily

:thumb:
No.1 tool in my old gas locker. Buy one that has the fill hole near the handle at the rear NOT near the front! otherwise it ends up all over your feet when tipped right up.
gas%20locker%201-M.jpg

gas%20locker%202-M.jpg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we bought a cassete flat hose from ebay put one end on the tap at home to test it but nobody told us you have to unroll it first cassette shattered so we cut the hose in half and just fold it up

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Regarding hoses, forget the 'flat' ones as they are either a single flattened type of hose which you have to unroll completely to use and are a pain in the a*se to get all the water out of and roll back up, or the ones that consist of several small bore pipes which you can use without unrolling but have a very, very slow flow rate so it take ages to fill a water tank.

There are also the spring/coil type of hoses but these again have a small bore and also when at nearly full stretch can be very difficult to hold in place for a long time as they want to recoil.

There are normal garden hoses, which is what we have, although we did get a good anti-kink one as this certainly makes it much easier to unroll and roll again, so well worth the little bit extra it costs for them, they also tend to be tougher too so will last longer.

There's also the new 'expanding' hoses (they look really rude! :Blush:) and whist they initially seem a good alternative I don't think in practice they would last long, I know one make in particular had a problem with the tap attachment fracturing.

We have gathered up quite a few bits and pieces over the years and find we have had to use them all at some point. We don't bother with food grade hose at all though even though we do drink the tank water, use it for brushing teeth etc, as the water isn't in the pipe long enough to become contaminated - all we do is give the hose a good blast through with water before using it for filling to 'eject' any stale water remaining in it from a previous fill up - we've never ever had any tummy upsets etc from doing this over 18 years!

I took a photo a while back of my 'collection' of water bits and bobs and now carry:

20ft hose (yellow one which we cut in half from it's original length of 40ft)

2 x 5L rigid containers which being tall and narrow can easily be slotted in the wash room out of the way behind the toilet covered up to keep it 'clean' of course! (We can keep this full of water if needs be to us for hair washing, washing up etc as it adds to our 66L water tank capacity).

15L (I think!) collapsible water container 'cube' - the best ones are those with a handle on the top and side as it makes it much easier when pouring the water into the tank.

1 metre (approx) piece of clear pipe with push on tap connector, useful for when we're filling the water containers which won't fit under the tap

1 funnel - the black one was my original which was just a standard car petrol funnel, but now I've got a 90 degree elbow pipe with a green 'oblong' funnel instead so can actually do the job single handedly as it stays put in the filler point (one of us used to have to hold the black funnel in place and usually got sloshed by the other!).

The yellow hosepipe is coiled into the black bag, the clear pipe is coiled inside this then the elbow piece and funnel goes inside this, all nice and neat; the smaller bits go into a small bag.

Various tap/hose connectors and a small strap with slide buckle which can be fastened to the tap to hold the button on.

Attachments

• water - connectors etc.jpg
    water - connectors etc.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 30
  • water - hoses and funnel.jpg
    water - hoses and funnel.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 24
  • water - containers.jpg
    water - containers.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 20
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I recommend these for tank filling. It replaces your filler cap and there are two types, the white for tanks that have overflows and blue for those without

CA_05161321340803-L.jpg

I can't believe how good this looks, what is the catch? I suffer from air locks and water blow back, this would presumably sort that unless someone knows what else will fix it.

Don't think I have an overflow so need the blue one (not really sure how the tank knows what colour cap is fitted though!!)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The blue one has a vent in it. The white one doesn't :thumb: