DVLA - rant!!! (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Do i need to say any more than DVLA.....

well, i sent off to upgrade my revenue weight on the van from 3.5T to 3.65T after a few weighings; the Fiat Chassis plate is plated at 3650 and Adria have down graded it to 3500.

sent off to DVLA Swansea all the paperwork , evidence , duly signed documentation and,,,,,, a V70 application for new tax disc complete with original current tax disc.:thumb:

Including a list of enclosures that were attached with the letter..:thumb:

letter back this morning with all my paperwork returned plus a letter asking for a completed V70 and the original tax disc :Doh: they even included a blank V70 attached for my completion.

Phoned them with given reference....:RollEyes: asked them nicely :RollEyes: why the V70 and tax disc i sent was not suitable :shout:

Very sorry sir .. send it back to us please; with a note telling us we got it wrong and well sort it..:Doh:

4 bloody weeks , 4 weeks and counting now because some desk jokey can F*****g see or be bothered to read.:Eeek::Angry:

dont you just love em...:Sad:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
And they are closing down the regional offices where it could have been sorted over the counter, face to face, with a helpful person. :Angry:

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
And they are closing down the regional offices where it could have been sorted over the counter, face to face, with a helpful person. :Angry:

already closed the llanishen office Cardiff some time ago. i asked today where i could take it to get it sorted ..
reply... nowhere you have to send it back as there are no longer local offices.

anyway its gone back in the post with a "stiff" note and a "polite" request to have it back ASAP..

feel better now... need a lay down:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
typical of the DVLA but from recent experience it seems english is a second language to most there and they struggle to understand. it seems they tak on loads of temporary placements and pay minimum wage. finding somebody interested or that understands the work is a rarity

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
typical of the DVLA but from recent experience it seems english is a second language to most there and they struggle to understand. it seems they tak on loads of temporary placements and pay minimum wage. finding somebody interested or that understands the work is a rarity

i must have hit lucky then as i spoke to a lady who was really helpful and was clearly English as her first language and very well spoken.

pity the rest were not as efficient as her.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

well, i sent off to upgrade my revenue weight on the van from 3.5T to 3.65T after a few weighings; the Fiat Chassis plate is plated at 3650 and Adria have down graded it to 3500.

sent off to DVLA Swansea all the paperwork , evidence , duly signed documentation and,,,,,, a V70 application for new tax disc complete with original current tax disc.:thumb:

letter back this morning with all my paperwork returned plus a letter asking for a completed V70 and the original tax disc :Doh: they even included a blank V70 attached for my completion.

Phoned them with given reference....:RollEyes: asked them nicely :RollEyes: why the V70 and tax disc i sent was not suitable :shout:

Very sorry sir .. send it back to us please; with a note telling us we got it wrong and well sort it..:Doh:

4 bloody weeks , 4 weeks and counting now because some desk jokey can F*****g see or be bothered to read.:Eeek::Angry:

Sounds like ours, same thing 4000kg adria down plated at registation by the dealer & I've being trying to get it resolved since OCTOBER:Eeek:
Finally gave up & contacted SV Tech who agreed with me and wrote a letter to the DVLA for me to send with all the original forms, tax disc & V5. These were posted last Monday so finger crossed.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds like ours, same thing 4000kg adria down plated at registation by the dealer & I've being trying to get it resolved since OCTOBER:Eeek:
Finally gave up & contacted SV Tech who agreed with me and wrote a letter to the DVLA for me to send with all the original forms, tax disc & V5. These were posted last Monday so finger crossed.

good luck... i was told no issue with the evidence and explanation letter i had composed, they just had "crap " in their eye's.

i wont hold my breath though i would not be surprised if it came back with other observations even though they have said all else is fine :Doh:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
good luck... i was told no issue with the evidence and explanation letter i had composed, they just had "crap " in their eye's.

i wont hold my breath though i would not be surprised if it came back with other observations even though they have said all else is fine :Doh:

Mine came back 4 times,each time taking nearly a month & asking for something else, despite countless emails & phone calls. The final straw came when they demanded a plating certificate, that's when I contacted the experts.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i hope mines not that difficult :Doh: my van is already clearly plated with the new weights with its chassis number on and a copy sent with the letter so i hope i have no further issue..:RollEyes:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
i hope mines not that difficult :Doh: my van is already clearly plated with the new weights with its chassis number on and a copy sent with the letter so i hope i have no further issue..:RollEyes:

So was mine & I sent copies (rubbings & photos) 3 times.
Good luck.

Aug 6, 2011
Chester-le-Street, UK
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640 GtRb
Exp
since 2011
We have had similar problems with trying to get our Hymer registered...........posted on my blog rant! It sounds like chaos at DVLA. Now having the same trouble re-registering the car back from its holidays in France, even beginning to wish we had just left it over there.:Doh:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013

Just one question. Does anyone know if you can still use your motorhome while you are waiting for a replacement tax disc or would you be had for not displaying a tax disc. I ask this because i am due to send my tax disc off soon and dont fancy not being able to use the motorhome for 4 weeks.:Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
officially, no tax disc, don't drive it, but the chances of getting stopped are slim and a photocopy and evidence of where the disc is would get you off. from October onwards, we wont need tax discs anymore. current ANPR systems are linked to the DVLA database so a police check will show if a vehicle is taxed

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I've just gone through exactly the same with our Apache. 3500 to 3650. Letter from Autotrail to say they had got it wrong, New stick on weight plate & new Certificate of Conformity. Sent it all off with amended V5 & got it all back in about 10 days :thumb: They even included a prepaid envelope to send the old tax disc back. I reckon that was a result!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
officially, no tax disc, don't drive it, but the chances of getting stopped are slim and a photocopy and evidence of where the disc is would get you off. from October onwards, we wont need tax discs anymore. current ANPR systems are linked to the DVLA database so a police check will show if a vehicle is taxed

I raised the issue of no tax disc with the DVLA & they said there would be"no problem as the computer would show it as taxed". When I asked about a traffic warden or similar doing me for failure to display they could not answer except to say "that would be unlucky".
Presumeably that law will have to be changed by october?

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
I've just gone through exactly the same with our Apache. 3500 to 3650. Letter from Autotrail to say they had got it wrong, New stick on weight plate & new Certificate of Conformity. Sent it all off with amended V5 & got it all back in about 10 days :thumb: They even included a prepaid envelope to send the old tax disc back. I reckon that was a result!

You're not kidding.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
My recent dvla experience has been excellent. Needed to put reg number on a retention cert, and get a new number for the van. All finished in about 10 days with new V5, tax disc and the retention cert.

Great!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

I was stopped for a tax disc check just last week on the A68 at Soutra. Not sure if that was an excuse and they were checking for something else. No problem for me - the police were very professional - told me it was a spot check and just to pull in, next officer looked at the disc and apologised for the delay as he waved me on.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I must admit that my recent DVLA experience has been OK as well.

Registration docs submitted. One week later a polite letter explaining the rejection. Sent again. One week later another polite rejection letter. Resent. One week later a V5.

The only issue I had was DVLA's request for a SVA certificate. To their defence, they hadn't seen Udo's original German registration docs and couldn't absolutely verify his 22 year age. Once fully justified, it was simple.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
DVLA

When renewing my licence with a change of address I put a note in the envelope (as a joke) asking them not to cut the top of my head of because that was the only bit of hair I had. They returned it with a letter stating that the documents were incomplete. I sent it straight back without the note and no problem, licence renewed but top of head cut off. I have just renewed it again with a different photo and they didn't cut the top of my head off this time - result ::bigsmile:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just one question. Does anyone know if you can still use your motorhome while you are waiting for a replacement tax disc or would you be had for not displaying a tax disc. I ask this because i am due to send my tax disc off soon and dont fancy not being able to use the motorhome for 4 weeks.:Smile:

Greetings,

Unless things have changed, the 'only' thing the Police do in terms of procedure is to send an official Form to Swansea as they are the Prosecuting Authority for Excise offences.

This has got me thinking about my own problem with Swansea. The Hobby has been 'misdescribed on the V5c as a Trigano. I've fired off the Document along with a load of evidence to prove it's a Hobby.
I forgot totally about the Tax Disc.
If they send it back to me as in the OP's entry, I intend photocopying the Tax Disc, put it in the van and put a note above it to explain the circs. In the case of me being stopped I'll explain. If it's seen without me being there, no action will be taken because DVLA will already know the circs.
If any action is taken (for failing to display a valid VEL) then they'll be the ones with egg on their face.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
It appears after reading the form that one sends off to claim back unused months on a tax disc, that there is a period of 14 days "grace" whilst waiting for the new tax disc to arrive, during which time you can legally drive the vehicle !!! Not sure how that effects the insurance though, but presumably, because the cops can now check instantly if you have or have not taxed your vehicle, that that is the reasoning (if there is any ) behind it !!!
Come april, we won't have a tax disc at all I hear !! Mitch..

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you are going to send off a tax disc i would colour scan it and fit the scan in the screen pocket. :Blush:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
if you are going to send off a tax disc i would colour scan it and fit the scan in the screen pocket. :Blush:

The hard bit about doing that is cutting out the cutout "eyes" that are on the original.:Cool: On a scanned copy, the eyes show up black.:Doh:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
DVLA

On retirement I decided not to renew my HGV entitlement when it came up for replacement. I sent off my licence to DVLA explaining that I did not wish to renew HGV but that it was essential that my motorbike licence was retained. (I had read in M/C press about licences being returned without motorbike entitlement being shown and then DVLA asking for proof that you had passed your test)!

I photocopied my licence, both the picture card and the paper part before sending them in.

After a week I received a letter from DVLA acknowledging my request to renew my licence without HGV entitlement and asking me "to please send them the licence". They had lost the bloody thing.

When I rang them and explained that I had enclosed my licence with the original application they said they could not provide a new licence without proof that I had passed my test for both car and motorbike. When I ponted out that I had photocopies of the original which I would send them, together with a copy of my letter of complaint to the DoT and my local MP all was quickly resolved!

Lesson learned and rmembered !

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
It seems that they cannot be trusted to do their job, so WE wipe their ***** and do it for them... SHAME....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
lost/incomplete forms
Denying reciept of mail.

All boils down to the same thing.....NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

My driving licence renewal went 'missing' only to be returned as a duplicate application a few days before my second request was processed

Similar to hospital appointments......rules state you must get an appointment within X days or weeks.....you do get an appointment but it wont be the one you eventually attend as it will be changed numerous times in between...the point is, they gave you one within the timescale required.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was stopped for a tax disc check just last week on the A68 at Soutra. Not sure if that was an excuse and they were checking for something else. No problem for me - the police were very professional - told me it was a spot check and just to pull in, next officer looked at the disc and apologised for the delay as he waved me on.

sounds like 'jobs for the boys' on a quiet day to me......

Road tax, MOT and insurance flag up on the in (police)car number plate recognition system if not in place.
No need to roadside check anyone now

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
sounds like 'jobs for the boys' on a quiet day to me......

Road tax, MOT and insurance flag up on the in (police)car number plate recognition system if not in place.
No need to roadside check anyone now

I suspect they were looking for someone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back