Light wieght stainless steel A FRAME (1 Viewer)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Has any one on here used a company in Chesterfield for one of these light wieght a frames said to only be 12kg with cable brakes. I would like to stay with mechcanical rather than electronic they are on Ebay item number 251437686159 .

Sorry not sure how to add a link
S&D

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi If its the Towing A Frames at Holmewood then my husband and I went to look when we were trying to decide which to fit.
We didn't like the alterations that were to be made to the front of the car and thought it may infringe warranty and affect crash protection.

We live in Chesterfield and thought they would be ideal before visiting their unit at Holmewood.
We decided not to go ahead and went to Smart Tow instead.

Much more expensive electronic system but it is easy for me to fit on my own and works very well.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Well first of all I would question their statement of 'fully legal'

It certainly won't be in Germany or Spain and once I read these sweeping statements which are patently incorrect I wonder about the firm making them.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
A frame

I should point out we only want this for use in the UK :thumb:

I have looked at the electronic alternative they are fixed to the car in a very similar fashon but some do need extra work to your van for them to work correctly this is not a route I want to go down.

By the way the company trade as Chesterfield Holidays

S&D

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Has any one on here used a company in Chesterfield for one of these light wieght a frames said to only be 12kg with cable brakes. I would like to stay with mechcanical rather than electronic they are on Ebay item number 251437686159 .

Sorry not sure how to add a link
S&D

Check your motorhomes weights as you may well find there is not sufficient gross train weight available for you to tow a car at all. The Rapido 10001 is listd as a 5 Tonne motorhome and the Fiat Ducato base vehicle generally has a GTW of 6 Tonnes max which may well not be enough.

D.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Check your motorhomes weights as you may well find there is not sufficient gross train weight available for you to tow a car at all. The Rapido 10001 is listd as a 5 Tonne motorhome and the Fiat Ducato base vehicle generally has a GTW of 6 Tonnes max which may well not be enough.

D.
Thanks Dave I will check I think unladen is 4000kg and we travel very light you are right about 5 ton gvt and as you say I think train weight is 6 ton the car we will be towing is 820kg :thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks Dave I will check I think unladen is 4000kg and we travel very light you are right about 5 ton gvt and as you say I think train weight is 6 ton the car we will be towing is 820kg :thumb:

As long as you are aware of the weights you should be ok. What many people don't understand is that while the GVW of a motorhome can be uprated the GTW never goes up.

D.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
A frame

So a lot of people useing a trailer are going to be very close if not over their GTW as the trailer must 600 to 800kg unladen ?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
So a lot of people useing a trailer are going to be very close if not over their GTW as the trailer must 600 to 800kg unladen ?

Some people may well be exceeding their weight limits, either just the motorhome or on many tandem axle jobbies exceeding their GTW.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back