Are obsolete vehicle parts a thing of the past? (1 Viewer)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Is it right that the new 3D printers can make objects in plastics, ceramics or metals? If that is the case, does this mean that we will be able to keep our motorhomes on the road forever? :Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
not all metals yet and the thermoform plastic is not likely to last long in hot sunshine. 3d printing is still in its early stages of development but at least its a start

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I think the possibilities of this technology are very exciting. Have you seen the chocolates and sweets that they are printing now? What will they be able to dream up next?

Wyn

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
not all metals yet and the thermoform plastic is not likely to last long in hot sunshine. 3d printing is still in its early stages of development but at least its a start

Well, should last YEARS in Scotland then......:roflmto::winky:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Is it right that the new 3D printers can make objects in plastics, ceramics or metals? If that is the case, does this mean that we will be able to keep our motorhomes on the road forever? :Smile:

I believe the RAF are experimenting with using 3D printers to reduce their need to stock non-engineering parts throughout the world. I can't see anyone printing ball joints and shock absorbers for a while.

If you want to keep an old vehicle going for now without costing the earth just choose a really ubiquitous platform like a Chevrolet P30 and you'll have no trouble for parts for years to come.

Some examples:
Ball joint = £3.20
Steering tie rod end = £2.63
Lower front wishbone = £9.82.
Front shock absorber (gas) = £14.29

That is for a 1978, with good availability from multiple manufacturers. I'm not scared of MOTs yet!

Last year the engine gave in (it was 35 years old...) A brand new one, not reconditioned, from a General Motors factory cost less than £2000, including duty, VAT and delivery.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I believe the RAF are experimenting with using 3D printers to reduce their need to stock non-engineering parts throughout the world. I can't see anyone printing ball joints and shock absorbers for a while.

If you want to keep an old vehicle going for now without costing the earth just choose a really ubiquitous platform like a Chevrolet P30 and you'll have no trouble for parts for years to come.

Some examples:
Ball joint = £3.20
Steering tie rod end = £2.63
Lower front wishbone = £9.82.
Front shock absorber (gas) = £14.29

That is for a 1978, with good availability from multiple manufacturers. I'm not scared of MOTs yet!

Last year the engine gave in (it was 35 years old...) A brand new one, not reconditioned, from a General Motors factory cost less than £2000, including duty, VAT and delivery.

Well, considering you have a V8 210HP motor there, I would think the fuel costs make up for the cheaper spares???

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Well, considering you have a V8 210HP motor there, I would think the fuel costs make up for the cheaper spares???

It runs on LPG, which helps. Also, large engines don't hit the fuel economy as much as the bureacrats would have you believe. The economy tests are stacked against them.

But even then the economy isn't brilliant, due as much to the 5 tonnes and ancient and heavy (but indestructible) 3 speed automatic. I get about 35p per mile.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back