Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I realise this may be covering ground that many Funsters know already, but in the spirit of 'life-long learning', perhaps to newer members, I offer the following for those whose motorhomes are fitted with the Schaudt Electrobloc charging system.

A number of questions are asked very frequently concerning these topics:
  1. Does the starter battery receive a charge when on EHU?
  2. Should I fit a battery master or similar?
  3. How dangerous are electrical surges and should I fit a surge protector?
  4. What sort of solar regulator should I use?

This is, of course, just a small selection of the type of question that gets raised. There is no substitute for expert advice and there are many FUN trade members who are better placed than me to offer help. However, for anyone whose motorhome has a Schaudt charging system, I recommend reading the two sections of A&N Caravan Services website that I have linked below. I have seen comments about the idiosyncrasies of Shaudt Electroblocs, but having had one for seven years I think it is a good system and have found it useful to understand a bit more about how it works and what it does, and does not need in the way of after-market accessories.
I have no link with A&N but have found their website very informative.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Yes it does charge the starter battery.
So no need for a battery master.
Hearing stories of problems, yes a surge protector is worth while.
What type of solar regulator depneds on weather you want to charge just the habitation battery or both.

OP
OP
JeanLuc

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yes it does charge the starter battery.
So no need for a battery master.
Hearing stories of problems, yes a surge protector is worth while.
What type of solar regulator depneds on weather you want to charge just the habitation battery or both.

Thanks for the backup information. Perhaps it was not clear in my original post, for which my apologies, that the answers - and much more - are in the links I provided.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I realise this may be covering ground that many Funsters know already, but in the spirit of 'life-long learning', perhaps to newer members, I offer the following for those whose motorhomes are fitted with the Schaudt Electrobloc charging system.

A number of questions are asked very frequently concerning these topics:
  1. Does the starter battery receive a charge when on EHU?
  2. Should I fit a battery master or similar?
  3. How dangerous are electrical surges and should I fit a surge protector?
  4. What sort of solar regulator should I use?
This is, of course, just a small selection of the type of question that gets raised. There is no substitute for expert advice and there are many FUN trade members who are better placed than me to offer help. However, for anyone whose motorhome has a Schaudt charging system, I recommend reading the two sections of A&N Caravan Services website that I have linked below. I have seen comments about the idiosyncrasies of Shaudt Electroblocs, but having had one for seven years I think it is a good system and have found it useful to understand a bit more about how it works and what it does, and does not need in the way of after-market accessories.
I have no link with A&N but have found their website very informative.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

They get my vote too. My recently purchased Hymer has the Schaudt unit & I found A&N when searching for info about it. They were able to supply me with a replacement outlet plug (one had overheated & melted) and a few extra plug pins so I could add feeds from it. Sensible prices & friendly to deal with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back