Damp (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2014
Walsall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Hello, My name is Mick and my wife is called Norma.

I am new to this website so forgive us if we are struggling to navigate the forum.

I own an Eldiss 180 which I bought from new in 2011. We have had 2 habitation checks over this period and damp has been found in several areas on the floor on each occasion which have been repaired under the warranty.

We are worried about this and feel that this should not happen on a new vehicle. We have more work scheduled to be carried out.

Should we be worried? The man at Marquis who sorts out the warranty work does not seem concerned and gives me the impression that this is a common problem.

Last edited:

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Hi,I cannot say i know if its a common problem with you model of van.But your right to be worried.there doesnt seem to be many on the forum tonight be patient i am sure someone will know and post tomorrow

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
its alright getting free repairs under warranty, it is still hassle for you, but what happens in year 4, or when ever the warranty runs out.

I think it is a disgrace to have repairable damp in year 1 or 2 of ownership

Without knowing how serious it was, it is hard to comment, but damp in the floor sounds odd and worrying

Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

williamb

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I bet he would be concerned if he had spent 30 grand or so on a motorhome i think you would be better finding the cause or the same thing could happen on you next check. You buy a van for pressure no distress. I would ask the dealer to contact eldis to to what the problem is.....good luck.

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry, but I cannot comment on your van model.

However, here is our story.

We bought our van at 1 year old. Noticed some bubbling on the back wall, but just assumed the glue hadn't been set right.

After running her for 4 years we noticed a damp smell and when we pushed on the rear wall below the bunks found water RAN out of the wall.

O/H stripped out the whole rear of our van to find that the brake light (fitted at the top of the rear wall) had been broken when it was fitted to the van on manufacture (they didn't cut a big enough hole)

The brake light fitting had been acting as a funnel, collecting rainwater and directing it down into our rear wall since the van had been first built.

During the re-fit we also found that the bunk supports were 'screwed' into the polystyrene packing in the wall and had 'missed' the wood supports.

Hope you sort out your floor successfully.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
is it sorted now?

Sorry, but I cannot comment on your van model.

However, here is our story.

We bought our van at 1 year old. Noticed some bubbling on the back wall, but just assumed the glue hadn't been set right.

After running her for 4 years we noticed a damp smell and when we pushed on the rear wall below the bunks found water RAN out of the wall.

O/H stripped out the whole rear of our van to find that the brake light (fitted at the top of the rear wall) had been broken when it was fitted to the van on manufacture (they didn't cut a big enough hole)

The brake light fitting had been acting as a funnel, collecting rainwater and directing it down into our rear wall since the van had been first built.

During the re-fit we also found that the bunk supports were 'screwed' into the polystyrene packing in the wall and had 'missed' the wood supports.

Hope you sort out your floor successfully.

is this now stoped and cured problem?

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
do u drain system in the winter?? or have they stated

I am new to this website so forgive us if we are struggling to navigate the forum.

I own an Eldiss 180 which I bought from new in 2011. We have had 2 habitation checks over this period and damp has been found in several areas on the floor on each occasion which have been repaired under the warranty.

We are worried about this and feel that this should not happen on a new vehicle. We have more work scheduled to be carried out.

Should we be worried? The man at Marquis who sorts out the warranty work does not seem concerned and gives me the impression that this is a common problem.

have they every explained where and how or if the cure has been done??

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Since the whole of the back wall and some of the side walls were stripped out, wood frames replaced where necessary, new ply sheets to rebuild and ensure screws were attached securely so the bunks don't fall down.

Then, our van is better than new.

I have a 'dave'.

(I have found that men called Dave are so handy to have around when there's a DIY job to be tackled.):Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Mick, welcome to the fun house! ::bigsmile:

As for your damp van ... I smell a rat ... a very damp one! Having your van repaired once for damp should have cured the problem, having it done twice is very suspicious .... to me it implies that they didn't solve the problem of what was causing the damp in the first place and therefore I'd question whether they have solved it this time round!

If I were you I'd get an independent damp check done by an NCC registered service centre and get them to comment on the remedial work carried out and if there is still damp present. This will then give you something to 'talk' through with the nonchalant Marquis dealer as it sounds like he is fobbing you off until you are no longer 'his problem'!!!

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr

hi mick if you have any form of skirt or fitting around the outside make sure they are sealed as water will get in like screw holes

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mick I would be taking it back and asking exactly what the problem is / remedy :thumb:The mere fact that its damp twice is worrying :Eeek: even if they have cured it twice and it was in different places does not sit well in my mind :Eeek:Ask how the floor has got damp and what have they done to cure it ? -only thing to do is replace the floor :winky: that means they will have it in for several weeks --more details are needed as to what they have/not done - You will soon loose the goodwill once the warranty has run out ---don't get fobbed off and keep us informed :Smile:
terry

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have a 'dave'.

(I have found that men called Dave are so handy to have around when there's a DIY job to be tackled.):Smile:

For every Dave like yours there is one like me, I always said I should write a book on BIY, bodge it yourself, to cover all the jobs I started and mucked up!!

Not any more, if I cant afford to have it done for me it stays broken

David

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, the response from Minx sounds spot on. Why has the dealer failed you twice! I would insist the manufacturer look at this problem and not the dealer. You could also threaten to report Maquis to with the NCC in order to get them to pull their finger out and do a proper job.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, the response from Minx sounds spot on. Why has the dealer failed you twice! I would insist the manufacturer look at this problem and not the dealer. You could also threaten to report Maquis to with the NCC in order to get them to pull their finger out and do a proper job.

Personally I would not start threatening anyone just yet --you are better off with the dealer on side, after all at the end of the day you bought it from them so it's there problem to fix or give money back (DOUBT THAT HAPPENING)The DEALER WILL HAVE A LOT MORE SWAY WITH THE MANUFACTURES :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Hope this is not seen as a thread hi-jack, but what level of damp is actually damp?
When does damp become a problem? On a percentage basis, what level of damp is "normal" or "acceptable"?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No damp is acceptable ::bigsmile: if you buy a damp meter a reading of 15 is OK (there is damp in atmosphere) anything much above this needs investigating :thumb:When damp gets bad you can usually see/smell it but it also hides away in places you would not normally look IE UNDER BEDS, IN CUPBOARDS,etc etc -You may find sligtly higher reading around window bottoms due to condensation etc Watch out for water stains and mold especially in the shower area as lots of M/Hs have what was classed water proof boards that were not so then they started wall papering with vinyl paper then moved onto all plastic shower cubicles ::bigsmile:
terry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry to say, i bought a brand new van from marquis once and certainly cant recommend their after sales service or workshop. after months of hell with them i sold the van on and lost money rather than continue the stress. from bitter experience, they smile to your face and do the absolute minimum to repair faulty or damp vans. even when shown a written report from another workshop detailing the faults found, they just covered some up without repair

a warranty with them is not worth the paper its written on:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back