Habitation door! (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Since 2012, so still learning
I feel sure that something is missing, from the interior door lock on my newly acquired Chausson. Seems that there should be something to pull the door closed. All there is, is a circular wheel thingy that's been added.

Hopefully I have attached two pictures, one with the fly screen in place and one without. Can anyone with this type of lock, tell me if somethings missing. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 148

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi
You have the same door as us.
The flyscreen door should have a little slider that.. When both doors are together.. Slides from left to right a little and engages with the rear of the black catch.
What can happen is that the sliding piece can become broken and therefore loose so that the doors don't fit together snugly.
If it's working correctly you should be able to close both doors by holding the large recessed handle on the flyscreen door.
If the flyscreen door has become damaged then it should be possible to fix it with resin or something. (we actually replaced the door).
One of the reasons that it may have broken would possibly be the catch for the hab door not aligning correctly.. This puts strain on the door when it's closing and can break the flyscreen slider bit.
I have to go to work now but if you need any pics feel free to pm me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bilbo Baggins
Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Thanks for your reply.
Yes we have the slider handle that moves across, about an inch to hold the doors together, and fully over to close the aperture when using the fly screen.
This holds the doors together, but rather loose and and not at all snugly, which makes us rather reluctant to pull the door closed using the fly screen. This made me think that the original owner fitted that rather crude 'wheely thing' so as to be able to pull on the outer door to close it.

Perhaps I need to look at making the slide handle more positive.

Do you have this round 'wheely' thing.

Thanks again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We found that the large flat panel that slides was broken along one edge. If it's working correctly then it should hold both doors together snugly.. With the seal assisting.
As for that round thing.. I'm wondering if there was a strap is something fixed to that.. That would have been pulled to close both doors (would probably have worked quite well actually)
We actually replaced the entire door.. But they are modular and it may be possible that you can buy just the centre part incorporating the slider.
Stowmarket caravans can get spares for chaussons

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
that bolt, washer and black disc certainly dont look original.
Could you make something a little larger and more substantial to replace the black disc and use to pull the door closed.

OP
OP
Bilbo Baggins
Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Thanks to you both.

Will take another look at it later in the week, with a view to getting getting the doors to sit tighter together, as I don't think anything is actually broken or missing.

Thanks again.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hopefully I have attached two pictures, one with the fly screen in place and one without. Can anyone with this type of lock, tell me if somethings missing. Thanks
Like John above, that black round thing doesn't look original.
What it does look like to me though, is a cam device, ie, when rotated, it prevents thatsmall black lever from being operated. Could it be an internal anti break in or locking device fitted by the previous owner?
I know it might look a bit "Heath Robinson", but it may be very effective.

HTH,

Jock.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our lock (sorry for dodgy angle.. Parked along a wall)

Attachments

• 20140223_163734_resize_20140223_164749.jpg
    20140223_163734_resize_20140223_164749.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20140223_163825_resize_20140223_164748.jpg
    20140223_163825_resize_20140223_164748.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
Bilbo Baggins
Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Thanks for taking those images. They do look the same as my lock.
Beginning to think that I just need to get the slider to hold the doors more snugly together.
Thanks for your help.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Like John above, that black round thing doesn't look original.
What it does look like to me though, is a cam device, ie, when rotated, it prevents thatsmall black lever from being operated. Could it be an internal anti break in or locking device fitted by the previous owner?
I know it might look a bit "Heath Robinson", but it may be very effective.

HTH,

Jock.

That's just what I thought but you beat me to it.

OP
OP
Bilbo Baggins
Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
It's a good idea, but as it doesn't move at all, I can't think of any reason for it, other than to pull the door shut.

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Bilbo,

We have an Allegro 97 with a similar door arrangement. As far as we can tell, you have to have the fly screen closed in order to close the door from the inside, and it's just a case of hauling on the hole in the fly screen. Not Chausson's finest hour design-wise, but it works OK (ours is 6 years old). Nice to see someone else with a 97 - not many of us around!

OP
OP
Bilbo Baggins
Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Hi Biggsy,

Thanks for replying. Only had the van for a few weeks, and one of its most annoying things is that the doors keep separating. Don't think anything is broken so just need to get it sorted. Just wanted confirmation that the strange 'wheely thing' was not original, everyone seems to confirm this.

Other than that the van is fine, although we're still sorting out the best way to fill the cupboards, to suit our needs. Have only been away for a few days in it so far.

This weeks project is to sort the door out, and fit a reversing camera.

Nice to know of another Allegro owner.

Peter.

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We too have fitted a reversing camera, although there is part of a view through the rear, isn't there. I chose a monitor that fits on the rear view mirror and ran the wiring through the headlining, down the driver's side windscreen pillar and into the fuse box area. Then down the driver's side wing, through a hole in the doorstep and then underneath the van, to come up through the wardrobe at the left of the bed and into the lining at the top of the rear wall. It was then that I discovered that the van is pre-wired for a reversing camera, finding a jack plug that sat on the end of a wire that went back the way I had come! Don't know where it ends up at the front, but someone else might. I've found Highbridge Caravans to be good for spares and advice, so they might know.

It's also pre-wired for a TV aerial too, in case you haven't found it. Look in the wardrobe between the kitchen and the washbasin. There's a hatch at the top that can be unscrewed. Would have been nice to see these things in the handbook, but it is appalling, I think you'll agree.

Mike

OP
OP
Bilbo Baggins
Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Hi,
Agree there is a bit of vision through the rear window, but to get on my drive I have to reverse up to my neighbours low wall. Have a cycle rack on the back which could hit before the reversing sensors work, and in any case they are rather quiet or I just haven't got used to them yet. Interesting about the pre wiring for a camera, although I read somewhere about tow hitch pre wiring.

Surprised you mentioned Highbridge as they're not far from us, and we've been many times over the years.

Haven't been down to the van yet to look at the door. It is in storage, less than a mile away, but it just doesn't stop raining here.
Would have to make a major change to my front garden to be able to keep it permanently here, although may do so in the summer, if we're not away!

Don't know Hull at all, although did spend 3 months at Hawker Siddley in Brough
Backin the 70s.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back