Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
typical AA scaremongering.

they talk out their arse most of the time and this article is no different.

Tis as you say true

But it's a timely warning to funsters taking there first steps

Or existing funsters upgrading to a new wondervan/

Viewing there new to them gem at such a good price

For all the gold to turn to sand :thumb:

If it's to be believed 6-7000 properties flooded
a car in each.
a m/home or caravan in a good number of them also

There's potential for some wrong uns turning up at auction
Ebay and private sales and back street autos
Along the way

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
plenty of water damaged vans out there from previous floods, with some being unregistered before being written off. the problems are often not obvious to the average buyer and they often think they got a bargain.

later on electrical systems fail due to corroded connectors and the chassis and running gear rust quickly. a modern engine with all its electronics doesnt work well after being damp either. once you get water in the gearbox or engine oil, its a major job to strip clean and rebuild it. if not done right the engine or gearbox will fail quickly. hydroluce an engine where you get water in the piston bores whilst running....thats it killed off there and then

as i said, lots to catch out the unwary without even getting onto rotting floors or walls

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as you say, a timely warning but a respectable dealer wouldnt even look at one so that only leaves private sellers....and dodgy dealers.

anyone with a bit of savvy would put 2 and 2 together if the sellers address was in the southwest....its in the V5 so no excuses.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
A worthwhile post and one to keep in mind, couple of months down the road and these horrendous floods will have slipped out of people's minds, these flooded vehicles WILL be coming on the market (I was going to say flooding the market) so bear in mind the contents of the post.:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
typical AA scaremongering.

they talk out their arse most of the time and this article is no different.

Have you got out of your 'cot' on the wrong side today, or has your buggy battery gone flat??? You seem to be in a particularly 'crabby' mood today judging by your comments on this and some other threads! :RollEyes:

There's nothing wrong with the OP or the link - not everyone is as 'savvy' as you, and haven't been around as long to be 'all knowing' as you seem to be ! ::bigsmile:

As an aside, your surname isn't Jackson by any chance is it?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Nothing wrong with the OP or the link. THe AA are talking out of their ar$e though. Most of the article is just knocking 4x4 s .
The test they referred to was not against a 4x4 as the Kuga is all wheel drive not a 4x4 and the tyres were not 'snow tyres' but winter tyres.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nothing wrong with the OP or the link. THe AA are talking out of their ar$e though. Most of the article is just knocking 4x4 s .
The test they referred to was not against a 4x4 as the Kuga is all wheel drive not a 4x4 and the tyres were not 'snow tyres' but winter tyres.

I think the OP's intention was to draw attention to the problem of inadvertently buying a 'flood' vehicle ... not specifically about 4x4s .... ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I think the OP's intention was to draw attention to the problem of inadvertently buying a 'flood' vehicle ... not specifically about 4x4s .... ::bigsmile:

Every reply upon this thread keeps it live and on the front page

Say what you like
but please buyer beware on any vehicle

As I say don't want gold turning to sand

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you got out of your 'cot' on the wrong side today, or has your buggy battery gone flat??? You seem to be in a particularly 'crabby' mood today judging by your comments on this and some other threads! :RollEyes:

There's nothing wrong with the OP or the link - not everyone is as 'savvy' as you, and haven't been around as long to be 'all knowing' as you seem to be ! ::bigsmile:

[HI]As an aside, your surname isn't Jackson by any chance is it?[/HI]

Not that im aware of :roflmto:

My point was the AA treat every driver as an unknowlegable imbicile.

My main gripe was their statement....

"If a car engine – regardless of whether it's a small family hatchback or a 4x4 – draws even an egg cup-full of water through the air intake the engine will almost certainly be wrecked and in most cases the car will be written off."

A diesel engine...yes....even less than an eggcup full
A petrol engine...very unlikely
And it would be unlikely the diesel wouldnt be a total wrecker either.

Both engines would hydraulic lock and as a diesel has extremely high compression it will cause far more damage....but no more than a broken cam belt would.
A petrol will probably run fine once the water is cleared from the cylinders and a new air filter fitted plus, as a precaution, an oil and filter change.

I have had a few off road bikes with engines fully submerged in rivers :Blush: and its been enough to remove the spark plug and clear the cylinder of water, dry the plug and restart.

I stand by my post.....the AA are scaremongers.

Oh....and i've got man flu. :Angry:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have had a few off road bikes with engines fully submerged in rivers :Blush: and its been enough to remove the spark plug and clear the cylinder of water, dry the plug and restart.

Oh....and i've got man flu. :Angry:[/B][/QUOTE]

What about when guy Martin was rideing on water, it ended up full of water half a dozen times

SteveAndrea

Free Member
Feb 22, 2014
Stonehouse
Funster No
MH
Thinking of buying
Exp
Caravanner 10 years

Oh....and i've got man flu. :Angry:[/B]

What about when guy Martin was rideing on water, it ended up full of water half a dozen times[/QUOTE]

I think the original post was intended to make people aware of a potential risk, something to consider, along with many other potential pitfalls when looking to purchase a motor home. I don't think it's scaremongering. I am trying to imagine what else may have happened to my Ford Galaxy when it gets an eggcup of water in the air intake. I would imagine it would be up to its seats at least in excrement and sewage, and written off before I worry about egg cups of water in the engine.

PS I was thinking of a van conversion based on the hover van Mr J Clarkeson demonstrated recently on Top Gear. :Eeek:

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Following up on this thread about water damaged vehicles my son has seen a horse box on ebay and the seller is saying he has been paid out the insurance for it a s it was in a flood and now has mechanical issues but can anyone advise on what legal issues might be involved on putting this vehicle back on the road ie is it legal is it safe how do we prove it is his to sell etc

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
my old land rover swallowed sum water a few years ago broke the cam belt bent the valves

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Following up on this thread about water damaged vehicles my son has seen a horse box on ebay and the seller is saying he has been paid out the insurance for it a s it was in a flood and now has mechanical issues but can anyone advise on what legal issues might be involved on putting this vehicle back on the road ie is it legal is it safe how do we prove it is his to sell etc

i think if the insurance right it off
its a marked vehicle for the rest of its life

ie never recovers its value from before being written off

not sure how much it would devalue it but it would!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

depends under which catagory it was written off as.

Cat A........vehicle cannot be salvaged in part or whole and must be crushed
Cat B.........vehicle can be broken for spares but body must be crushed
Cat C........damaged but repairable (repair cost exceeds market value)
Cat D........light or no damage (stolen recovered etc)

Not sure how true but flood damage write off is classed as a Cat B.....spare parts only.

There is currently a Cat B RV on ebay with [HI]internal only[/HI] fire damage.......spare parts only and body beyond repair.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

If the insurance company has written off the vehicle and paid out for it then the vehicle belongs to the insurance company. Some people do buy back their written off vehicles though. If there has been an insurance pay out then check the paperwork very carefully and speak with the insurance company about ownership.

Generally the insurance company take the written off vehicle away very quickly but sometimes things get missed, lost or forgotten.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
If the insurance company has written off the vehicle and paid out for it then the vehicle belongs to the insurance company. Some people do buy back their written off vehicles though. If there has been an insurance pay out then check the paperwork very carefully and speak with the insurance company about ownership.

Generally the insurance company take the written off vehicle away very quickly but sometimes things get missed, lost or forgotten.
That's what I was wondering who it actually belongs to now. Also if it is to be crushed who s responsibility is that . I think we need to be a bit wary of this deal he wants cash and a quick sale as wants it out the way . Could be genuine but prob not :Eeek:

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009

"If a car engine – regardless of whether it's a small family hatchback or a 4x4 – draws even an egg cup-full of water through the air intake the engine will almost certainly be wrecked and in most cases the car will be written off."

Both engines would hydraulic lock and as a diesel has extremely high compression it will cause far more damage....but no more than a broken cam belt would.
A petrol will probably run fine once the water is cleared from the cylinders and a new air filter fitted plus, as a precaution, an oil and filter change.

Nuff said, your assumption is The 'AA' treat every driver as an unknowlegable imbicile and everyone understands the damage you have described 100%

I am thankfull for the information posted once the key goes into the ignition my knowledge of how an engine works is ZERO.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I think the reality here may well be that even taking into account the warning, how difficult might it be for a potential buyer to tell whether a vehicle has been flooded after it's cleaned up and appears OK?:Sad:

Wyn

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

i disagree ive seen con rods folded s shaped and wedged inside the piston of several petrol engined cars just by hitting a puddle at speed it depends on where the air intake is some early hyundais suffered very badly until they raised the inlet and changed the direction it faced
an engine thats been submerged whilst staionary can be drained and recovered but when the waters got that\ deep its the electrics that suffer
to be fair to the aa most people who take out cover with them have no knowledge of cars other than driving them so these warnings are aimed at most of their members

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
That's what I was wondering who it actually belongs to now. Also if it is to be crushed who s responsibility is that . I think we need to be a bit wary of this deal he wants cash and a quick sale as wants it out the way . Could be genuine but prob not :Eeek:
the horsebox body is of a good value, so unless the seller bought it back from the insurer, its not his to sell. once paid out the salvage and disposal of written off or even stolen recovered vehicles is for the insurer to sort out. given the substantial number of vehicles written off in the last couple of months there may be a delay collecting the insurers property

as for mechanical issues with the lorry, it may well work out cheaper in the long run to swap the body to a lower mileage truck chassis. just so much that can be wrong and the vehicle will be unreliable. my wifes family are horsey people and i know how difficult it is to have an unreliable horsebox. imagine sitting beside the motorway for recovery with horses onboard

in summary get proof its his to sell by way of a copy of the letter from the insurers and logbook. and consider the lorry good for parts/body only

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back