LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I agree that some people should never be allowed to own a dog, BUT, one size does not fit all. Some dogs, like some people are just plain nutters. ANY dog can turn, and that should never be taken for granted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes and no. I agree for all "normal" breeds this is true, no bad dogs only bad owners but there are breeds which have been selected for their aggression or guarding qualities which are inherently dangerous, especially to strangers.

As an extreme example it is possible to train a wolf to be a pet but the "wolf" bit could suddenly resurface at any time. Likewise for certain breeds selected for aggression over generations. You could train one but its aggressive side would always be there and liable to be triggered by some event which makes it forget its training and suddenly act instinctively.

I think there is also a case for some breeds being unsuitable for the average owner. As a generalisation big dogs need to be better trained than little dogs simply because they can do more harm. The most ill trained Yorkie is unlikely to kill anyone but a poorly trained larger dog can. The standard of dog training I see round here is pretty low with the majority, for example, unable to walk at heel, constantly pulling on their leeds. Would I trust them with a strange child? No.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
True.
But sadly you could also substitute the word CHILD for dog too.:cry:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
There is a certain race of people breeding aggressive dogs in Britain and dog fighting, which has been banned for years, is still rife--------does anyone ever get prosecuted?

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I spent ages trying to teach mine to paint :Sad: Hopeless really, this was the best he could do: :RollEyes:

img_0752l.jpg

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No this is a master peice::bigsmile:

Attachments

• 923142_692846584068916_227360282_n.jpg
    923142_692846584068916_227360282_n.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 68
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
But in doggy world this could be a master piece

With our lawn now transformed into a mud plain, our dog paints the mats like that everyday. Over the years we have had various devil breeds making the headlines, which were just the type of dog popular at the time for making into a vicious guard dog. This has included German shepherds, dobermans, Rottweilers, bull terriers, Akitas,etc, all which can be good tempered and loving dogs in the right hands.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
as some of you know we foster kids.and every one that we get
,it is allways the adults fault that they come to us.its the same with dogs.some people should not have kids or dogs.our dog has to be checked by social sers.:Doh::Doh:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
This concept of "It's never the dog's fault, it's the owners'" doesn't stand up.

Whilst riding a scooter some years ago, I was attacked and bitten in a totally unprovoked attack by a bloody great Pyrenean Mountain Dog.
(Called Fluff, apparently).

Just to be clear, it was the dog that bit me, not the owner.
The two stone wet through owner thought it was ok...."He's only playing"!
He wasn't there at A&E to tell that to the nurse doing the darning.

Many large and / or "fighting" breeds are just not suitable as domestic pets.
In many cases, the owners aren't physically capable of exercising control.
They need greater control than many owners (caring, sensible owners at that) can possibly bring to bear.

I would argue that yes, it is the owners' fault when dogs attack, but surely we must realise the dog is doing what comes naturally?

Some folk want a dog.
No problem with that, but choose one that can be properly trained to behave in human company, and one that can be physically controlled.

That's not a rant, nor is it a poke at owners, just expression of what I see as sense.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This concept of "It's never the dog's fault, it's the owners'" doesn't stand up.

Whilst riding a scooter some years ago, I was attacked and bitten in a totally unprovoked attack by a bloody great Pyrenean Mountain Dog.
(Called Fluff, apparently).

Just to be clear, it was the dog that bit me, not the owner.
The two stone wet through owner thought it was ok...."He's only playing"!
He wasn't there at A&E to tell that to the nurse doing the darning.

Many large and / or "fighting" breeds are just not suitable as domestic pets.
In many cases, the owners aren't physically capable of exercising control.
They need greater control than many owners (caring, sensible owners at that) can possibly bring to bear.

I would argue that yes, it is the owners' fault when dogs attack, but surely we must realise the dog is doing what comes naturally?

Some folk want a dog.
No problem with that, but choose one that can be properly trained to behave in human company, and one that can be physically controlled.

That's not a rant, nor is it a poke at owners, just expression of what I see as sense.

How many times have you heard dog owners say this.

Its OK he wont bite.....Why does it have teeth then.

He wouldn't hurt a fly.....See what happens when one lands on his nose.

He is as soft as a can of snow.....Sometimes snow can turn to solid ice.

All dogs are potentially dangerous and the sooner dog owners except that the better.
By the way, I was brought up around dogs, as my mother was a breeder. I had dogs all my life, including some of the so called dangerous breeds, and by no means am I anti dog.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
All dogs are potentially dangerous and the sooner dog owners except that the better.
QUOTE]

Spot on! Owning ANY dog is a gamble.Take any of the popular breeds (or cross-breeds) that you see around your local park. Are you prepared to take the risk of owning one? Most of us I suspect would say "No problem." The risk you take of having any sort of problem is probably hundreds to one. Put a young child or a baby into the equation and, regardless of the dog's ownership, the odds shorten. Now take it to the extreme, with a Pit-bull type breed, and a newborn baby? Which responsible parent would be prepared to take the risk? It's simply a question of where any individual sets their own threshold, with all sorts of questions that have to be considered. (e.g. Is the confined space of a small terraced house suitable for a newborn baby and a malamout (or for that matter ANY large dog) to share? :Sad:)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
QUOTE]

Spot on! Owning ANY dog is a gamble.Take any of the popular breeds (or cross-breeds) that you see around your local park. Are you prepared to take the risk of owning one? Most of us I suspect would say "No problem." The risk you take of having any sort of problem is probably hundreds to one. Put a young child or a baby into the equation and, regardless of the dog's ownership, the odds shorten. Now take it to the extreme, with a Pit-bull type breed, and a newborn baby? Which responsible parent would be prepared to take the risk? It's simply a question of where any individual sets their own threshold, with all sorts of questions that have to be considered. (e.g. Is the confined space of a small terraced house suitable for a newborn baby and a malamout (or for that matter ANY large dog) to share? :Sad:)
sorry but I have to take exception to the inference that ALL bull breeds and pitbull types are dangerous around children. its simply not true

take for example the humble staffie, or staffordshire bull terrier, one of the most popular dog breeds in this country by a good margin. its one of only 2 breeds recognised by the kennel club and in their breed standard as being good around children. thats a very good reason for them having the term nanny dog attached to them. many many many generations ago they may have been used as bull baiting and fighting dogs, but those traits like the wolfs nature have been bred out

we see so many stories in the press about children hurt in so many ways, but when its a dog there is a negative backlash at all even responsible dog owners and their pets. typically its mentioned in the press that it was a pitbull type and accompanied by a photo of a staffie. in reality the vast majority of bites to humans are from cross breeds and the most likely pedigree dog to bite is a chocolate brown labrador. that doesnt make good sensationalist headlines though so as usual an innocent breed is blamed

i just wish that humans would have enough intelligence to understand the difference and not to just jump to assumptions. sadly though the daily mail reading (and believing) morons are in the majority

yes i trust my dogs with the grandchildren, but never unsupervised as accidents happen and kids can be naughty, poking and pulling all over the dog. by the same token i wouldnt want them anywhere near some people

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is about time people were not allowed to own dogs unless they can show competency to do so and appreciate the reality of what it means.

I was listening to Jeremy Vine today at 11.30 am doing his bit about what would be on his show and he mentioned that one of the producers had got a young spaniel from a shelter but was going to have to take it back as he wasn't able to look after it properly as he was OUT AT WORK ALL DAY! How the HELL was he allowed to have a dog in the first place and what made him think that leaving it at home all day was okay!!!! :Eeek:

There are some absolute idiots out there! :Angry:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
sorry but I have to take exception to the inference that ALL bull breeds and pitbull types are dangerous around children. its simply not true

Not so much ARE dangerous, but CAN be. Even supervised, all it needs is a moment of inattention for a child to tug at a dog's ear to draw a growl or a bite. Any dog in such circumstances can be dangerous, but if the child is small enough and the dog large enough, it can prove fatal.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would never trust any dog unsupervised with any small child it is canine nature they will try to put themselves above that child in their pack .

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I would trust any of my Staffies I have brought up and have always felt them safe with my children and now grandchildren being there, they tend to assume the peer and guard role with children and never a lip has been turned up.

However, I would always question myself with the trust of another human in their presence - unfortunately dog 'attacks' do happen, but not to the scale, sometimes severity and horror that is perpetrated on children by human adults.

Trikeman. :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would trust any of my Staffies I have brought up and have always felt them safe with my children and now grandchildren being there, they tend to assume the peer and guard role with children and never a lip has been turned up.

However, I would always question myself with the trust of another human in their presence - [HI]unfortunately dog 'attacks' do happen, but not to the scale, sometimes severity and horror that is perpetrated on children by human adults. [/HI]

Trikeman. :winky:

But neither excuses the other; neither is acceptable.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dogs are hardwired in their dna to protect the young in the pack and it takes a truly rare exception or other circumstances to lead to a bite. humans on the other hand are a truly dangerous breed with some members deliberately choosing to harm their own and others young

i know which breed i choose to trust and prefer around my kids and grandkids. as already stated though i always supervise the dogs and children together for both of their safety and happiness. i have seen more children hurt dogs than the other way round, but it doesnt make the news

neither child abuse nor animal abuse has any place in civilised society. and i consider raising and training a dog to be aggressive is abuse the same as allowing children to grow up feral

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back