Possible Gas Regulator Problem a dilema (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just back from a week away during which we noticed that gas pressure seems down when using say oven and gas rings, as each is lit jets on others diminish, also Truma fire which we usually set at 2.5 keeps re-igniting in breezy weather, oven seems most affected with very small flame with oven hobs lit?

We have a 2 x 11kg Alugas refillable system fitted with a Gaslow Auto Changeover valve, van is 11 months old and fitted with a Truma MonoControl CS regulator.

I'm wondering if the regulator is starting to fail, there is however an odd thing happening with the Gaslow auto changeover indicator in that with one gas cylinder isolated red area is visible indicative of low pressure. If I open up both cylinders red indicator area is more visible. Both gas cylinders are full!

Very perplexing, I've attached 2 photo's 1st shows the indicator with only 1 cylinder opened and valve selection in manual (for that cylinder) second is both cylinders open and valve selector in auto.

I'd appreciate your thoughts or advice.

Attachments

• gaslow01.jpg
    gaslow01.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 135
  • gaslow02.jpg
    gaslow02.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 136

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as the auto changeover is before the regulator i would think the fault lies in the changeover valve.

If the reg was failing and not allowing enough gas through then everything upstream (changeover and bottle taps) should still work ok

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
That has me wondering pappajohn as reg is on the HP side!

Apologies for error in my original post the auto valve is completely automatic and only has 2 positions giving priority to either RH or LH cylinder as first in line. :winky:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
silly one here but are you 100% sure the bottles are full ??

you could always remove the changeover switch and connect directly to the regulator which would effectively rule out any problems with the switch.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
silly one here but are you 100% sure the bottles are full ??

you could always remove the changeover switch and connect directly to the regulator which would effectively rule out any problems with the switch.

Yes both are full topped up last week.:Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
simple tests first, turn off one cylinder at a time and see if it makes a difference. then turn fully on as you check the other. when you filled up, did it take much gas before the 80% limit valve cut in

otherwise my money is on the truma regulator, well known for gumming up and failing. if you replace it use a gok or gasit regulator, much cheaper but more reliable

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We had similar symptons. Changed the Truma regulator and problem was sorted.
Changed to a Gaslow regulator, certainly cheaper than the Truma.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It does sound like a failing reg but Aba's suggestion of removing the changeover and connecting one cylinder directly to the reg is the first step to diagnosing the fault.

D.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks Dave I actually have an almost new Gaslow regulator removed from last van and intention.is to change it over with the Trauma unit to see if it helps.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
simple tests first, turn off one cylinder at a time and see if it makes a difference. then turn fully on as you check the other. when you filled up, did it take much gas before the 80% limit valve cut in

[HI]otherwise my money is on the truma regulator, [/HI]well known for gumming up and failing. if you replace it use a gok or gasit regulator, much cheaper but more reliable

my first thought....but the changeover valve is between bottles and regulator and its the high pressure changeover valve showing the anomoly.
Even if the reg was completely blocked with crud and allowed no gas through it couldnt affect the changeover valve operation.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I don"t know if this will or is relevant, but

We have a Duo comfort control that has 2 pigtails to feed 2 13 kg bottles and that is then connected to a Truma secumotion regulator.

The system suddenly stopped working half way through a bottle of gas.
I played around with it and found that the gas was passing through the Duo Comfort okay but stopped at the gas regulator ( the Secumotion unit)

Trying to locate a replacement it turns out that the unit has been updated. One of the main reasons seems to be is that with recent rules on the make up of the gas it seems that the gas draws moisture through the rubber pipes, which have been replaced by upgraded ones that have a steel braid around them which is supposed to stop the problem, but this moisture is what clogs up the gas regulator stopping it allowing the gas to pass through it.
The new replacement Truma regulator has an added bit to it that is also supposed to eliminate the moisture problem.

I was a bit sceptical regarding this explanation but on buying the new upgraded regulator we now have all our gas appliances working as they should,( so far touch wood),

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Was hoping to change regulator out this afternoon but the at times torrential rain put paid to that.:Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don"t know if this will or is relevant, but

We have a Duo comfort control that has 2 pigtails to feed 2 13 kg bottles and that is then connected to a Truma secumotion regulator.

The system suddenly stopped working half way through a bottle of gas.
I played around with it and found that the gas was passing through the Duo Comfort okay but stopped at the gas regulator ( the Secumotion unit)

Trying to locate a replacement it turns out that the unit has been updated. One of the main reasons seems to be is that with recent rules on the make up of the gas it seems that the gas draws moisture through the rubber pipes, which have been replaced by upgraded ones that have a steel braid around them which is supposed to stop the problem, but this moisture is what clogs up the gas regulator stopping it allowing the gas to pass through it.
The new replacement Truma regulator has an added bit to it that is also supposed to eliminate the moisture problem.

I was a bit sceptical regarding this explanation but on buying the new upgraded regulator we now have all our gas appliances working as they should,( so far touch wood),
not quite the correct explanation, but near it

the nature of liquified petroleum Gas is that it is oily by nature and reacts with the rubber used in standard high pressure pigtails. this allows a buildup of oily residue that gums up the regulator leading to premature failure. the work around is to fit stainless steel pigtails with overbraiding. not the overbraided rubber ones as these too allow the leaching of oily residue

truma has bought out a trap system that collects the residue before it enters the regulator. this trap isnt required by other manufacturers regulators as they are unaffected by the oily residue and allow it to pass through and its eventually burnt at the appliance end

we are not talking about a large quantity of residue though, we are talking about a minute percentage of the gas used. its more common with gas sold at the pumps for some reason, but its still a minute amount.

changing to a new truma regulator will cure the issue temporarily, but if you still have rubber or rubber overbraided hoses, it will eventually gum up the new one

i hope this explanation is helpful to allow you to better understand the problem. there is a technical bulletin about on the internet that explains the chemical process, but in essence it says the same, but gives the oily gum a chemical name. perhaps one of our resident petrochemical experts will comment

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
keep us posted before the thread disappears off the board. :thumb:

Commanded to attend our gorgeous grand-daughters second birthday today PJ a fifty odd mile drive each way, so perhaps tomorrow I may be allowed to have an experiment, though weather forecast is rather iffy. :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 25

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Commanded to attend our gorgeous grand-daughters second birthday today PJ a fifty odd mile drive each way, so perhaps tomorrow I may be allowed to have an experiment, though weather forecast is rather iffy. :Smile::Smile::Smile:

so pretty.....bet she will break some hearts in the future :roflmto:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Sent off an email to my dealer suggesting I remove regulator and bring it to them for replacement (save trundling van 50+ miles each way)

They contacted Truma, guess what the standard reply, when will this company stand up and be counted and produce something fit for purpose. This unit is not yet 12 months old and they are going to claim the dreaded "oily residue" so not covered by warranty.

Dealer reply to my suggestion here:-
I have just spoken to Truma regarding the regulator and what they have told me is that we have to send the regulator back to them for investigation and then they will tell us whether or not the regulator is covered under warranty once they have stripped down the regulator and checked it out.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sent off an email to my dealer suggesting I remove regulator and bring it to them for replacement (save trundling van 50+ miles each way)

They contacted Truma, guess what the standard reply, when will this company stand up and be counted and produce something fit for purpose. This unit is not yet 12 months old and they are going to claim the dreaded "oily residue" so not covered by warranty.

Dealer reply to my suggestion here:-
I have just spoken to Truma regarding the regulator and what they have told me is that we have to send the regulator back to them for investigation and then they will tell us whether or not the regulator is covered under warranty once they have stripped down the regulator and checked it out.

save the £5 or £6 postage and put it towards a quality replacement that doesnt have the same issues. well thats what i would do anyway

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
save the £5 or £6 postage and put it towards a quality replacement that doesnt have the same issues. well thats what i would do anyway

I have an almost new Gaslow one in the van on "standby" when we are away later this week. :thumb:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Update, Truma regulator failed while dealer doing hab service checks. Replaced free of charge as a sweetener methinks because of warranty work delays and issues. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back