Found a stray dog. (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well what an afternoon I've had.
I finished work at 1pm and set of walking down to my car. Just as I got to the dual carriage way I saw a little dog run out across the 1st two lanes. Into the central reservation. :whatthe: it darted over to the other side of the dual carriageway and started running down the middle of the road full pelt.:Eeek:
What to do ? Think fast. Cars slowing , Lorries slamming on air brakes scaring it to death , making it run sideways into the other lane. Back over to my side of the footpath but 50 yards in front of me . It wouldn't come when called. It disappeared out of view back over the 4 lanes of traffic.
Icarried on walking down to my car looking for it as I went. Hoping it wouldn't be injured in the road. Then I saw it again , running down the street ,where I park chasing after a pick up truck in the middle of the road again. I whistled it and tried to call it, here boy here girl , no chance.

Then I lost sight again. I got to my car and drove off looking for it. Now this is not a main road , but it's busy , with wagons vans and geomy prison vans, it's an industrial estate. Doggy now running towards me in the car. I parked up and it shot past me avoiding a school bus by a whisker. Down the side of a factory. I got in the car and went in the car park. Closed the big gate. Cornered.

The little dog was panting and shaking like mad. It wouldn't come to me. So I got on my knees and talked nice and quiet with my hand out. Making my way slowly to it. It cowered down and moved away several times before finally coming to me. I worried that it may bite. It was very muddy looking. It didn't , and was finally after lots of persuasion , calm enough to fix my lanyard badge round it's collar. Like a lead .
This seemed to calm it down a bit. Though it was pulling on it towards the road again. I beeped my car opened the boot. Now how to get it in , do I dare try lift it. Will it bite.

Over the road , in a layby , was a greasy spoon cabin. I'd stopped when looking for the dog and asked if they'd seen it. They could see I'd found it. They gave me a sausage which I took back over the road with the dog to the car. We sat in the car park next to each other . It looking warily at me with the sausage. It wouldn't eat any , I couldn't believe it. My dogs would have wolfed it down. Greasy spoon cafe or not. By this time I think it was relaxing , when I patted the boot it jumped up in side. I shut the boot.
Phew what now. A very stressed panty little scruffy stinky dog in my boot. I set off home . Phew very stinky , fox poo stinky:Sad:
Once home, I had to make sure our dogs were out of the way as I didn't know how the stray was with other dogs. Then I went back to the boot. Little dog looking up at me. I opened the door slightly got it's lead , out it jumped. Took it inside for a drink of water , nope. Iams dog biscuits, nope. Tin of tripe , nope.
What next. Kids want to keep it and give it a bath. I waited half an hour till it had calmed down the took it to the vets to check the microchip. If it had one.
It did, the vets telephoned and left a message for the owner. I took it back home, doggy now has a name Tilly.
When I got home Jacob found a missing dog site and there was Tilly . With a mobile number. She went missing around the bus station area in Wakefield on Saturday morning.
So more than 3 days ago now.
Her owner , who'd lost her husband the previous week. ( dead not missing ! ) was agoraphobic and Tilly was a house dog and only went out in the garden?

She had been frantically searching for her. Or had other people frantically searching. Posters up and down that area.
The phone number had changed on the microchip information and they had not amended it.
( something for all dog owners to think about)

Tilly was by this time following me around the kitchen and back room whining. Every time I sat she jumped up on my lap. :cry: I'm getting attached by the minute...... Buster and Ruby wagging from behind the glass doors dying to play with her. Buster bringing every available toy to the other side of the door. Ahhhh they love her , she'd fit in nicely ..... I didn't let them mix as Tilly was very stinky and I didn't know if she had fleas or anything.. I let them in the garden, Tilly one side of the iron railings , our two the other. They spent a while running backwards and forwards with each other.

Anyway 1/2 an hour later owners very relieved sister and niece ( who walks the dog for her ) came to pick her up. Tilly jumped up into their arms . They were both crying , dog licking their faces wagging it's tail like crazy.
Happy ending. :thumb:

I'm sure she would have been happy here with us though :cry:

She was a jack Russell / border terrier cross. Btw

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What a lovely story, and a nice happy ending. Good deed done for the day!

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Well done!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Wow!

"Doggy now running towards me in the car"

That's one clever dog!!!

Seriously though, well done you!

Simon
:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The advantages of micro chipped animals

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
How lovely, well done you. Not only probably saved it's life but made the owner very happy.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
:cry: no dear I have something in my eye:thumb:
well done just imagine if it was one of your dogs how you would feel to get that telephone call to say they were safe::bigsmile:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Great stuff, many wouldn't have gone to all that trouble and to be reunited is fantastic.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Well done, most people would have just ignored the poor thing. I bet the lady and her family are so delighted to get her back safe and sound.

Kath and Howie

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
How caring are you. Well done and that dog certainly found an angel in you. Bet if she could have talked you would have had a big 'thank you'. :thumb:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
How nice and well done you. I can imagine their relief at getting it back. Poor lady to loose husband and dog so close together, though I know what you mean about bonding so quickly. But job well done :thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
image.jpg

Here she was at the vets , scruffy little thing isn't she ?
To have her microchip scanned.
BUT if it wasn't for Jacob finding that lost dog web site, with her on it and a contact number. She'd still be here. So think on dog owners. If you change address or phone number, contact the micro chip people. Update your records.

Ps it's madam Tofu haha
Broken Link Removed
In my car boot

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
View attachment 23270

BUT if it wasn't for Jacob finding that lost dog web site, with her on it and a contact number. She'd still be here. So think on dog owners. If you change address or phone number, contact the micro chip people. Update your records.

Ps it's madam tofu haha

Oh blast sorry ma'am
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh thank you for shareing your story, she looks so small must have been scared to death, good to known there are folk like you out there, and what a nice conclusion .:Smile:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
View attachment 23270

Ps it's madam Tofu haha
Broken Link Removed
In my car boot

Looking at the little un looks just like our buddy
He's a sht-zu chiwauwauwa cross and at the same angle As the photo
Buddy is similar colouring and shape

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
thankyou for being such a lovely caring compassionate person. and again we hear about a lost much loved pet finding its way home because somebody went out of their way to help

i can only reiterate the importance of keeping your pets microchip info up to date. you never know when it will be needed in an emergency

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
She's a wiry haired terrier type cross. With a kink in her tail like a border terrier . But shorter legs , longer nose and bigger ears than a border though. So she could be what you say Tofu.
The owners seemed to think she was a border jack Russell cross. She's a fast little bugger I can tell you. And so lucky not to be knocked down several times whilst I was watching her , before I got her. That was only 3/4 hour and she was missing 3 days. :whatthe:

But what ever she is she's back with her very relieved owner .
Probably on her knee. As that's what she was wanting to do with me in the back room. Buster was looking through the glass in the door , as if to say why is she allowed on the leather chair , when I'm not ?

I stopped in the back room with the hard floor and leather chairs in case she had fleas and cos she stank to high heaven:Blush: so I'm not that soft:Smile:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
What a lovely ending Bev, I would be so upset if our Toby was out in the big wide world on his own, and would be so grateful if someone like yourself found him for us, I bet your other 2 dogs would have been a little bit jealous though.
Well done for capturing him and taking him to the vets.
see you soon
x

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
That's one of the nicest stories I've ever read. Thank you sir for being one of the good guys.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
What a lovely ending Bev, I would be so upset if our Toby was out in the big wide world on his own, and would be so grateful if someone like yourself found him for us, I bet your other 2 dogs would have been a little bit jealous though.
Well done for capturing him and taking him to the vets.
see you soon
x

Ruby and buster were both in the middle room looking through the glass doors at me , with Tilly . Ruby was wagging like mad and buster jumping up and down like a mad man panting. Bringing his toys over to the door then yipping.
We would have kept her, if she wasn't microchipped , of course. I couldn't have put her in a dog home.
She would have been at Whitby goth that's for sure. :ROFLMAO:

But she was around my feet all the time , in the house. I reckon she was spoilt rotten at her home. Wanting to be up on the furniture.
Missing 3 days obviously very skinny. You could feel her ribs. But refused a sausage, piece of carved ham, iams dry food, tripe tinned food. Boneo. Tripe stick. Dog biscuit shape. Goodness knows what she had to eat at home.
Her owner said she was her baby.
I hope they let me know if she's ok.

lilac lill

Free Member
Sep 15, 2012
Worksop
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt - I think!
Exp
Since 01/09/12
Good call that woman..:thumb: and what an adventure for Tilly :Eeek:, but it had a sausage at the end of it and all is well.
I can't even bear to imagine losing mine, and so glad you found her owner - well done Jacob.
Karma in spades missus... and probably worth several liquid refreshments. :winky:

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
When we lived in Sussex we were in a busy but narrow road and this German Shepherd was running through the traffic but the cars had stopped. I said to Derek " you can get him, you're good with dogs" soooooo Derek lifted up the back of the car and shouted to the dog to get in. The dog promptly obeyed and I bet everyone thought it was ours. Our two children were in the back of the car but somehow we didn't worry.

We took the dog to Hailsham dog pound, they checked the microchip, and we took the dog home for the night. He was a fine looking dog.

It appears that the owners were on holiday but fortunately their daughter was at home so next day dog and owners were reunited. We were rewarded with a bottle of wine.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Lovely lovely story and what a fantastic happy ending.

Brought me to tears.

Job well done.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back