Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Quick question from a newbie when I tour about I need access to Internet. I was wondering how to improve the signal, I herd that I boost are good any thoughts
Thanks

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you wanted to phone us for a chat tomorrow, we'd be more than happy to talk you through the options and any questions you may have. You'll be pleased to know we're both terrible sales people so no pressure :ROFLMAO:

Have a look at our website or see what our customers say on FUN or on our website:
http://www.motorhomewifi.com/testimonials/

All the best,

Adam

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I'm not on commission yet but I use the I boost, great bit of kit once you get the hang of it :RollEyes::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Quick question from a newbie when I tour about I need access to Internet. I was wondering how to improve the signal, I herd that I boost are good any thoughts
Thanks

I have a Huawei Mifi with a large cantenna external aerial. With a decent network for 3G i.e. three, you should get signal most places. Some mifi devices don't do external aerial sockets. Some networks have rubbish data. Some don't allow "tethering", which is required. Others give better data on "mobile broadband" contracts. For medium, irregular usage, 3 payg is
good.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Another iBoost fan. Using it at the moment to pick up wifi several hundred yards across a camp site. The other advantage with the system, I find, is that it gives you the chance to use multiple devices on a restricted account, because of the router that comes with the booster aerial.

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Show discounts?

Are you at the NEC Show. Any extra 'Funster or show discounts on offer for iboost?
Regards Brian

If you wanted to phone us for a chat tomorrow, we'd be more than happy to talk you through the options and any questions you may have. You'll be pleased to know we're both terrible sales people so no pressure :ROFLMAO:

Have a look at our website or see what our customers say on FUN or on our website:
http://www.motorhomewifi.com/testimonials/

All the best,

Adam

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I don`t suppose there is one aerial that can plug into a mifi AND be used to bring in more wifi signals, so you can choose which one to use?

Which MiFi allows a external aerial to be used?

Thanks

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I don`t suppose there is one aerial that can plug into a mifi AND be used to bring in more wifi signals, so you can choose which one to use?

Which MiFi allows a external aerial to be used?

Thanks

Actually, typical 3G frequencies (2.1GHz) and WiFi (2.4GHz) are quite close enough that the same aerials can typically be used unless they are particularly narrowband. You'd need to unplug one device and plug in the other, unless you can find some sort of hybrid device (no idea if such things exist).

A typical MiFi supporting external aerial would be a Huawei E5332, which is 3G. 4G models are now also available. 4G devices will typically use the same aerial as the 3G (but check frequency of the specific chosen network as some are reusing the 900MHz GSM frequencies at least temporarily).

With aerials, there is a choice of an omni directional such as a cantenna or whip, or a directional Yagi. The cantenna is more convenient, more wind resistant, does not requiring aiming and works whilst travelling. However, the Yagi will get signal in the most unlikely of places. You can always carry both.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Are you at the NEC Show. Any extra 'Funster or show discounts on offer for iboost? Regards Brian

Hi Brian, we don't do the February NEC as its such an expensive show to attend and a bit of a mixed bag at this time of year. We can't afford a week out of the office with our other business. To see what shows we are attending see the link below, but as a rule we don't discount the iBoost: Broken Link Removed but I can usually find something free to chuck in for a funster :thumb:

Which MiFi allows a external aerial to be used? Thanks

WiFi and 3G operate on different frequencies, so any antenna that does its job well are 'tuned' to one or another. If you imagine how much 'noise' is generated on 2.4Ghz (WiFi) a 3G antenna which is tuned not to be receptive of this will work better.

You can get wideband antennas which just pick up everything - but these are better used in very remote locations. In addition, a WiFi 'radio' and a 3G 'radio' are different things entirely and so the antenna would need to be either dual polarised (two elements, one housing) so each has its own connector or you would have to manually swap between the two.

In short, you would always be better having an antenna dedicated to doing a specific job - even if that means two rather than one.

Most of the non-network branded Huawei MiFi devices allow for an external antenna - such as the E5332. This is the best value MiFi device at the moment.

4G devices will typically use the same aerial as the 3G (but check frequency of the specific chosen network as some are reusing the 900MHz GSM frequencies at least temporarily).

With aerials, there is a choice of an omni directional such as a cantenna or whip, or a directional Yagi. The cantenna is more convenient, more wind resistant, does not requiring aiming and works whilst travelling. However, the Yagi will get signal in the most unlikely of places. You can always carry both.

4G is a complex issue for the UK across two bands - 800Mhz and 2.6Ghz. EE have both, Three have 800Mhz, O2 have 800Mhz and Vodafone have both.

In addition 'true' 4G requires a MIMO antenna (in crude terms, one for sending one for receiving) and very few non-commercial grade devices have a MIMO connection - eg the E5776 just has a single TS9.

In a lot of cases, just having 'something' on the outside of your foil lined van will give you an advantage, in the same way a wire coat hanger was a stable for any Ford Cortina driver in the 70's, but there are of course better ways to do things.

Keep an eye on our website for some new 3/4G products shortly :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back