Bit of good advice from the local 'plods'. (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
The theft of MoHo's seems to be getting more popular. The local bobbies have told us a few bits of advice that could reduce the chances of theft by the 'new' fast and effective method of MoHo thefts.

Contrary to beliefs several recent MoHo thieves caught have been 'non-entry' thefts. Basically a beavertail reverses up to the MoHo, driver dives underneath and cuts the handbrake cable, on with the winch cable to the front, onto the beavertail, chocks in and away to go.

Two recent finds showed that the MoHo's hadn't even been entered.

The bit of advice given to reduce the chances of this simple and fast method of theft is to park the MoHo, on full lock (towards a wall if poss) and park in 1st gear (difficult to drag with the smaller winch). OK they could break in and break the steering lock, but no need when parked wheels straight ahead.

The bobbies also said that on one occasion the neighbours of the stolen MoHo was told by the guy with the beavertail (and the bright green jacket) that he was taking it in for service........:Angry: he even had the yellow flashing lights going.

Food for thought.

Trikeman. :winky:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
If they can get in my storage site they can have it :ROFLMAO:

Don't say that Andy - my Wife saw the photo of your MoHo today and said she 'liked the look of that one',,,,,,,,, Sacre Blurr, I've only just got the one we have the way we want it with every conceivable extra her little heart desires,,,,,, Then, Oooo that looks a nice one.
:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We dropped ours off at storage this afternoon after a lovely weekend away. Parking up in our spot , we noticed we had a new next door neighbour .

The owners had removed the steering wheel ?

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
i thought that was standard

We dropped ours off at storage this afternoon after a lovely weekend away. Parking up in our spot , we noticed we had a new next door neighbour .

The owners had removed the steering wheel ?

i turn mine hard right then my steering wheel thats married to my steering stem can be removed by pulling two pull out buttons,?
is mine special? do other motorhomes have this...it means they cant break the steering lock,, i have a wheel clamp that has an internal padlock that you cant get into to snap or cut off,,,

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
removable steering wheels where a popular add on accessory a few years back before air bags in the steering wheel became pretty much standard fit on all new vans

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The local police are really helpful they told a neighbour who had his works van broken into more than once and tools stolen, as he now left no tools in it overnight to leave it unlocked so they would not smash the locks or windows anymore:Doh:
The insurance company would just love that on the theft claim form

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
so the moral of this tale is

if you see a motorhome being towed - phone it into police

it may be legitimate but then again it may be not xxxxx

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
:thumb:I have always parked mine as close to wall as possible then put on full lock ,I have a disc lock steering wheel lock and I leave it in reverse.I also have alarm & imobiliser.Theres no a lot more you can do if some scrote realy wants to take it they will:thumb:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
It's a similar story with the Land a Rover 90 / 110 / Defender. They're about the most wanted vehicle on the TWOC'ers list and have been for some time.

I take my own precautions with my 110 but it's always a daily worry.

Having Udo on an army barracks, locked up inside is a weight off my mind as regards theft. But when out and about, you can't take chances. I've heard of caravans disappearing from motorway service stations even with wheel clamps seemingly ineffective in stopping a determined thief.

The sad truth of the matter is twofold:

1. Take a number of preventative security steps to make any potential thief's attempt as difficult as possible.

2. If someone wants your 'van badly enough, they'll find away to have it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine is just parked in first gear without handbrake. It is behind a steel fence that has two sets of gates to pass through, you are held between the gates while the outer one closes and you are filmed. The whole site is peppered with CCTV. Access through the gate is by your mobile phone that the system recognises. My pitch is 9 metres long for £400 per year. I can view my van by IP camera anytime.
All the tuggers have hitchlocks etc despite not being able to get a van out illegally :roflmto:
My signature picture was taken under the central camera that I can direct from my phone and screen capture

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Don't say that Andy - my Wife saw the photo of your MoHo today and said she 'liked the look of that one',,,,,,,,, Sacre Blurr, I've only just got the one we have the way we want it with every conceivable extra her little heart desires,,,,,, Then, Oooo that looks a nice one.
:Doh:

Well, Techno, if it does go missing you'll know where to look first!::bigsmile:

Wyn

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I put a cable padlock through the steering wheel then wrap it through the door handle to lock the wheel and the driver's door together. However, the full lock idea is a smart one and I'll do that in future. I leave the handbrake off in storage to avoid long-term strain on the cable. Our old VW once snapped its handbrake cable in a steep car park - fortunately I was in it at the time, but it's always made me a bit wary with over-using handbrakes. They come in handy for traffic queues in the Alps.

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
The local police are really helpful they told a neighbour who had his works van broken into more than once and tools stolen, as he now left no tools in it overnight to leave it unlocked so they would not smash the locks or windows anymore:Doh:
The insurance company would just love that on the theft claim form

Had a problem with locking an Astra years ago so left it unlocked at train station while at work, eventually a toe rag put a lump of concrete through the window to gain access costing me more in damage than value of what he stole, why didn't he just open the door. :Doh:
Of course with me being a CID officer my uniform colleagues never ever mentioned it again :Blush:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I leave mine on me drive wi keys in an engine runnin, it`s costin me a f****n fortune in diesel:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
If you store it at home invest in a "rising post" in front of the vehicle or hardened steel cables through the front wheels as used by VOSA to immobilise HGV s when impounded.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Regarding leaving the wheels on full lock:
I was lead to believe this is bad for the ball joints.

so / not so?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

so / not so?
thats what i was told many years ago, also bad for the seals and gaiters on the power steering rack

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I put a cable padlock through the steering wheel then wrap it through the door handle to lock the wheel and the driver's door together. However, the full lock idea is a smart one and I'll do that in future. I leave the handbrake off in storage to avoid long-term strain on the cable. Our old VW once snapped its handbrake cable in a steep car park - fortunately I was in it at the time, but it's always made me a bit wary with over-using handbrakes. They come in handy for traffic queues in the Alps.

Indeed. I never leave the handbrake on for more than a week and would never rely on it alone in any vehicle if not sat behind the wheel. In storage, I chock wheels and leave it in Park (1st if I had a manual). "Handbrake off" is on the checklist.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
If the thieving eastwards can get past my Rottweiler of a neighbour they are welcome to it. :ROFLMAO::RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

so / not so?

Could well be true, perhaps half lock would sufficient to discourage someone trying to winch the MH onto a flatbed?

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I have always left all my vehicles in gear when parked, maybe because "in the good old days" so many had knackered brakes.::bigsmile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
most trackers have a "geofence" if it is moved more than a very short distance without the ignition on it alarms into the monitoring station.

simples!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back