Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I am a newbie
I am an American living and exploring Europe. My plan is to obtain a motor home and find all of the out of the way places of Europe and beyond. I am looking to purchase a motor home (left hand drive, of course) as soon as possible. I have run into some snags though with financing. I have been living in France for 7 months now, but because I do not pay French taxes (I am retired) I am unable to get a loan here, and my US bank won't loan me the money because I am in Europe. :cry:I have a French bank account and pay utilities here. I can relocate anywhere as I do not have any particular roots in France. Yet, I do not plan on moving back to the US.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have seen a couple of vehicles in the UK, but I am sure I will run into the same problem in trying to get a loan.:helpsos:

Bee

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
We have a french motorhome which is up for sale. A Hymer 654 2 x 2 tramp 2010

Have you got an address in france and have you got proof of income you should be able to get a loan

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi welcome, i guess that will sadly be the same situation throughout europe , but good luck:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I am an American living and exploring Europe. My plan is to obtain a motor home and find all of the out of the way places of Europe and beyond. I am looking to purchase a motor home (left hand drive, of course) as soon as possible. I have run into some snags though with financing. I have been living in France for 7 months now, but because I do not pay French taxes (I am retired) I am unable to get a loan here, and my US bank won't loan me the money because I am in Europe. :cry:I have a French bank account and pay utilities here. I can relocate anywhere as I do not have any particular roots in France. Yet, I do not plan on moving back to the US.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have seen a couple of vehicles in the UK, but I am sure I will run into the same problem in trying to get a loan.:helpsos:

I will ask my banker if there is any "hidden" way to get a loan, a way they would not talk about unless YOU talk about it! May I ask in which bank is your account in France? May be you didn't choose the right one (La Poste for example would not loan you a penny!!!)

In the meantime ... Welcome!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
welcome. I hope someone comes up with a way you can finance a motorhome, but my way is to always pay cash, and if you dont have a lot of cash, then just look for the best you can buy with what you have got. Our motorhome cost a lot less than many have to find as deposit, and things that needed doing were all what we could put up with till later. good luck! :thumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Do you have a credit card? If so take out another credit card - one with interest free transfer. Use the original card to pay for the van (or do it via paypal linked to that credit card) and then transfer the credit card balance to the interest free card. You'll still pay a transfer fee but it may be one way round the system. Check you can transfer to the original credit card especially if it has been issued in a country other than the second credit card.

But it is ALWAYS better to pay cash and stay within your means. If you miss a "bargain" then take it as a sign that it was no bargain and was not for you. As they say here "If it's for you it won't go past you".

Many banks will not loan to people on fixed incomes in today's economic climate and they will also increase interest rates for any excuse they can think of.

WARNING: Don't do this unless you are sure you can afford to pay back the loan/credit card debt within the relevant terms.

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Without a fixed abode and credit history in the UK, you will never get finance on a motorhome

Peter

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
permanent address, where the van will be parked ,contact point , all this is required because the banks would state that they would need to seize the van if you made none or missed payments , sounds hard but the states are in a worse financial crisis than Europe and the uk, not Scotland lol....:winky:
i would suggest you get a motorhome within your liquid asset means buy cash .
there are m/homes around £12k but £25 is better there is upkeep ,insurances and if your anything like me , fibreglass repair, and bearing and brake issue,,
carry a full garage around with you if your going off grid.... solar ,and generator if required,, good luck and remember the suncream,,,,,,:thumb:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp

I know a few retired doctors who earned nowhere near the money an American Dr would earn and there well off with the dosh,,.
THE other way to get a loan is from the states, cash in your pension,,,
cash in on any property or release some equity on any assets or estate,
this is what every lone or bank company would ask you if you have none of the above then u wont under any circumstance get a financial loan because they would simply say your a retired Dr whats happened to a lifetimes earnings?? sounds hard but i would expect the banks to ask me that and they have, ,, remember every time you approach for credit with any company it gets noted and your rating for credit may fall each time,,.
if its just you that wants to travel get a van, cheaper and easier on the wallet to run,, because if you get a motorhome for the back roads of Europe your gonna need a lot of cash,, Bandits robbers and holes in the road,,,,my mate in Bulgaria got his wheels incl spare stolen left on bricks it was after an hour of sightseeing, the removed the satellite from the roof and got in threw a sky light stole his clothes and medication out the fridge,,,, needless to say most of the medication was for constipation and depression,,lol, after this happened to him he was depressed for years after,, :Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back