Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
does any one know the laws regarding travelling with a childs carseat fitted to front passenger sideof motorhome, we were thinking of taking our grandchild on a trip with us, we have no other seat belts apart from driver and front passenger, would appreciate any comments.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Provided it a suitable child seat it can be fitted to front passenger seat but if air bags fitted they need to turned off !!!!

OP
OP
samany

samany

Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Many thanks cammocam1, yes it is a suitable seat, l thought airbags should be deactivated, thanks for confirmation.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fitting a child car seat

You must:

only use a child car seat with a seat belt that has a diagonal strap - unless it’s specifically designed for use with a lap seat belt

deactivate any front airbags before fitting a rear-facing baby seat in a front seat

not fit a child car seat in side-facing seats

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Don't forget that laws will apply to your remaining passenger, who will be seat belt less..

If your rear seats are sideway facing I think it's your decision to way up any risks as it appears a grey law area but if it's a forward facing seat, passenger must have a seat belt.

I think, I may be wrong though, I have had a bottle of bubbly!:thumb:

kat_lewis

Free Member
May 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since a nipper but only got back into it seriously recently when we inherited my mum's van
As already stated re seatbelt fixings. Our grandaughter travels like that when away with me.She thinks it is her seat and has even suggested to grandpa that he sits in the back when he joins our expeditions :RollEyes:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
OK in this country but illegal in France under 10 year old, though Ive never known anyone who was done for it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Question: how many people did your insurance company insure it for? If it is a pure 2 berth did you insure it as such?

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
When I was looking for a motorhome I came across this issue with having two young boys. I spent allot of time researching the law and safety aspects and in the end side facing seats are a no no with children and a spoke to my insurance company who said you will not be covered. I also spoke to a mate who is a traffic cop who said its a very grey area but said why would you risk your children's safety putting them side ways also it's down to what your van is regestared for ie 2 or 4 berth.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I think the OP was asking about putting a child's seat in the passenger seat. The side seats , if in fact that's what he's got would be for his wife (grandma).

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think the OP was asking about putting a child's seat in the passenger seat. The side seats , if in fact that's what he's got would be for his wife (grandma).

Sorry I read it wrong

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
OK in this country but [HI]illegal in France under 10 year old[/HI], though Ive never known anyone who was done for it.

Didn't know that....Got away with it!

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Airbags

I believe the bags have to be deactivated if the child is sitting in the front seat and facing the seat but that is usually how a baby is carried. I
f facing forward bags have to be switched on

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I thought I remembered something about France and children in the front seats. I've never needed to heed it but worthwhile knowing.

Why have 4 berths and only 2 travelling seats with belts???? It's not even legal to retrofit them according to one of the dealers I spoke to, but that was just what he said.

The only reason I could think of for not fitting the same number of belts and berths is because the payload isn't big enough.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I thought I remembered something about France and children in the front seats. I've never needed to heed it but worthwhile knowing.

Why have 4 berths and only 2 travelling seats with belts???? It's not even legal to retrofit them according to one of the dealers I spoke to, but that was just what he said.

The only reason I could think of for not fitting the same number of belts and berths is because the payload isn't big enough.

The problem with trying to retrofit seat belts isn't just the belts themselves but the framework needed to make them safe, they aren't just fitted onto existing 'timber' dinette seats, they have to be reinforced with a very strong metal frame within the seat itself now, also the work involved in doing it would be pricey and so not worth it, and that is if you could find someone who would be WILLING to do it ... which I doubt you would.

Not fitting the same number of seatbelts as berths depends not only on payload but on the layout, it is a definite NO-NO for side-facing seats to have seatbelts and if the lounge is in the rear of the MH even with some forward facing seating it would be unlikely to offer any protection from a rear impact in the vast majority of MHs with this layout.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The only other thing that is the 'elephant' in the room is what about the safety of the 'other' passenger, ie wife! Whilst taking care that your grandchild is safe is one thing, but travelling in a 'lounge' type seat is different to a seat made for travelling in and doesn't have the same amount of support to stop a passenger swaying around as you travel. Are you really happy to have your wife 'at risk' by travelling in the rear without any restraint etc?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Not fitting the same number of seatbelts as berths depends not only on payload but on the layout, it is a definite NO-NO for side-facing seats to have seatbelts and if the lounge is in the rear of the MH even with some forward facing seating it would be unlikely to offer any protection from a rear impact in the vast majority of MHs with this layout.

I realise that (and about the fixings of belts) - but still wonder how people travel with four berths and only two travel seats? Do they take a second car? I just find it rather odd but am probably missing something along the line (apart from my mind that is).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I realise that (and about the fixings of belts) - but still wonder how people travel with four berths and only two travel seats? Do they take a second car? I just find it rather odd but am probably missing something along the line (apart from my mind that is).

Some people do travel separately to get round the lack of safe travel seats but that is probably the exception rather than the norm. If a MH has 4 berths it doesn't mean it needs to have that many travel seats, for example some people who have an overcab bed may want to use that as their double bed instead of re-arranging the lounge seating, or may prefer to sleep separately, some use the overcab purely as storage. There are some vans which are the opposite though, we have a camper with 4 travel seats but only 3 berths ... so you could ask where the 4th traveller would sleep! ::bigsmile:

When people buy MHs this is one thing that they need to think of when choosing the one for them, some decide to get a larger MH than they really want just 'in case' a grandchild wants to go on holiday with them ... and then are unhappy when they don't or they are 'stuck' with a much bigger MH when they're on their own! Others put what they want first - quite rightly in my view - and on the few occasions that they want to take grandchildren away then a second vehicle could be used.

The biggest problem, though, isn't necessarily the MHs with more berths than seats, but MHs with insufficient payload for all those able to travel in it! It isn't unknown for a family MH with the same number of berths as travel seats to only realistically be capable of carrying a couple of adults! :Doh:

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
If you are turning off the airbag to fit a rear facing child seat in the front, let the insurance company know to ensure your insurance remains valid :Eeek:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The biggest problem, though, isn't necessarily the MHs with more berths than seats, but MHs with insufficient payload for all those able to travel in it! It isn't unknown for a family MH with the same number of berths as travel seats to only realistically be capable of carrying a couple of adults! :Doh:

I did wonder if the number of travel seats was restricted because of the payload issues!

Our last MH had a 7.5 tonne MAM so payload wasn't an issue but it will be when we buy the next vehicle. Even with plenty of berths the kids still liked to sleep in their own individual tents inside the safari room so I can see how "too many" seats compared to berths can happen - especially if the vehicle is used on a daily basis. We had one vehicle we were interested in weighed in running order, tanks almost empty, without driver and found that even with a MAM upgrade there was only a 250kg payload - needless to say we didn't buy.

We are after a fixed bed plus a convertible bed in dinette which would suit us as a couple but give flexibility to take Grandson who is only 9 months at present. We've drawn up a list of what we want ranked from non-negotiable to "nice to have" so will just see how many boxes can be ticked.

Roll on Harrogate!

Last edited:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Regarding side facing seats, I am insured for 6 including driver, not that I would have that many, insurance knows that four are side facing and without seatbelts.

it is legal as my MH is a 2003 , under 2007 you are ok providing your insurance company agrees, it wasn`t just the lady at the insurance company I was dealing with , she rang me back after being in touch with the insurance accessors.sp

I take a disabled friend out, I also need help with her, and I told my insurance company this, no problem they said, disabled in the passenger seat and the helper behind her.
I do have a generous payload.

Before anyone says, I would not have a child on the side seats, situation wouldn`t arise in my case anyway.

How many of have you notice the side facing seats, in buses, trams, trains etc, they don`t have seat belts. the law is an ass and doesn`t make any sense at all.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back