CAT/DPF Removal - will be a MOT failure! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just in case anyone isn't aware, there will shortly be a change in the MOT rules wef 16/2/14 which means that if a vehicle was originally fitted with a CAT and/or DPF which has been removed and replaced with a pipe (or possibly a 'mock' one) it will FAIL!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/275427/mot-special-notice-1-2014.pdf

So if you've done this and you have a MOT coming up you'd better get one refitted sharpish! :Eeek:

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
OH Sh--t, i gutted both the cats on one of my motorbikes, i hope the mot peole do not pay to much attention
pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
agreed, but at the moment its only a 'present' check.

Nothing is being tested other than the fact its there if it should be.

You could, if you really want rid, simply knock the crap out the middle and in effect turn it into a straight through pipe.

If and when the rules change and the functionality is also checked you'll need deep pockets for a replacement to pass the mot.

It is also an offence to remove a DPF.

It is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use. The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of up to £1,000 for a car or £2,500 for a light goods vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Although the MOT rules have changed so far no one has advised or been able to advise how far back this rule will reach - on some vehicles it was an optional extra to have a cat on some it was only the top end spec that had a cat. To be able to identify which 'older' vehicles this applies to the MOT station will have to be able to down load the actual build spec for that vehicle. Which mean DVSA will have to have it on their system.

I assume therefore that this rule can only be applied from possibly 2007 when I believe it became compulsory.

Anyone have any info on this ??

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
OH Sh--t, i gutted both the cats on one of my motorbikes, i hope the mot peole do not pay to much attention
pete

No problem ! Move to France , no MOT for motorbikes :ROFLMAO: at least not yet but they are talking about it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back