North Devon (1 Viewer)

T

Tina

Deleted User
Hi Everyone, I'm fairly new to motor home touring. Have booked a week in North Devon, near Ilfracombe and I'm being told that the roads are too narrow and I'm worried about parking. Has anyone else toured this area and has any one any tips before I cancel this holiday:cry: Thanks in anticipation to anyone who can help

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Whoa Tina
Don't go cancelling your holiday motorhomers are touring Devon and Cornwall all the time, ok some roads are narrow but you 'll be ok . go and enjoy :thumb:
You don't have a 40 foot American RV do you ?

Upvote 0

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
We were down in North Devon last week and I had no problems driving the motorhome or parking, the roads can be narrow in places but that can be said of almost anywhere you might go, up in Lincolnshire this weekend some of the roads are just the same, you just go a little slower and take plenty of time.
Just relax and take your time and you will have a great holiday.

Tina (another one!!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Tina, We live in Ilfracombe, if you are staying nearby maybe we could meet, wonder what site you have booked the hidden valley is terriffic. Tinaglenn (above) visited the week before last. Over 2000 caravans and motorhomes tour the area a week so the roads must be accessable. Our van the beast is 22ft and 7ft plus wide and never had a problem, can advise on parking and places to visit depending on what you are looking for.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

ricwig69

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Newcastle (The Toon)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On leaving Ilfracombe last week on the B3230 a works van, overhanging the centre line, clipped my offside wing mirror which smashed through the passenger window (LH drive). Luckily no-one was hurt but it's proved to be a more expensive trip than we bargained for!:Angry:

We only travelled on this road upon recommendation from a local, but a quick look at the map suggests the slightly longer A361, via Braunton and Barnstaple, may be a better (and wider) option. We entered Ilfracombe on the A399 and would not care to repeat it.:whatthe:

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
On leaving Ilfracombe last week on the B3230 a works van, overhanging the centre line, clipped my offside wing mirror which smashed through the passenger window (LH drive). Luckily no-one was hurt but it's proved to be a more expensive trip than we bargained for!:Angry:

We only travelled on this road upon recommendation from a local, but a quick look at the map suggests the slightly longer A361, via Braunton and Barnstaple, may be a better (and wider) option. We entered Ilfracombe on the A399 and would not care to repeat it.:whatthe:

Lucky Indeed,

Glad you're ok.:thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

Not surprised you wouldn't go that route again.
Stowford Farm Meadows specifically warn against the A399 for tuggers.

See here

John

Attachments

• Clip.jpg
    Clip.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

not guilty

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
A fellow Devonian no less!

Hi

I'm originally from Braunton, left back in '95. Now live in Stirling, Scotland. The roads down in N. Devon can indeed be very narrow (though I did survive a childhood spent cycling on main roads full of tourists!). The roads in Northern Scotland are also narrow, but the difference is that they are not as packed as those in N. Devon.

I was down in Cornwall a couple of months ago, and I thought the 'A' roads there surpassed those in North Devon for narrowness!

My parents owned Mill Park Caravan Site in Berrynarbour (from '87-'90), and I remember many comments from tourists about how narrow the roads were - dont remember anyone suffering damage as a result though.

As long as you moderate your speed, and drive carefully, I don't think you'll have any issues. My 6M long panel van fits OK. Would not like to take an RV down there though! The A399 is plenty wide enough for motorhomes - saw several when we were heading home.

Nigel

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
And you must remember 42 seat coaches use the same roads all the time. If they can you can so there you go.:thumb:

Tina is back home now so maybe she can relate her expriences and misgivings if any to help others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Hi Everyone, I'm fairly new to motor home touring. Have booked a week in North Devon, near Ilfracombe and I'm being told that the roads are too narrow and I'm worried about parking. Has anyone else toured this area and has any one any tips before I cancel this holiday:cry: Thanks in anticipation to anyone who can help

hi just got back from devon/ cornwall some roads are narrow iv been there all i did when i wos on narrow roads wos to pull my mirror in just take care and have fun we did:thumb:

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We spent a week in July at Hidden Valley, a very clean site. It can be a bit noisy on the first level next to the road. I dont know how you would go on if you had a large RV as it can be a bit tight to manover on the site. We have a 24 foot Autotrail and I would just go round the bend on one part of the site without backing up. Parking arround Woolacombe or Illfracombe is not a problem.

Upvote 0

theboadacea

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Had our one and only accident on the road into illfracombe on our first night off fulltiming in the van.

Driving along quite merrily, a car approaching on the other side of the road overtakes some parked cars and takes out the fairing alongside the entire length of our van and twists the habitation door. They then absolutely refuse to take the blame saying they did not see us ... then when the police arrive that we should have given way.

Had to go 50/50 in the end, cost us £300 extra on the insurance. However this was on a relatively wide road. :ROFLMAO: There are some narrow roads with passing places but the main roads are fine, buses do it so so can we :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back