What`s the long range forecast..?? (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Should really be thinking of making plans to come home... :Smile:

But not sure what to do.. :RollEyes:

Santandar to Portsmouth..

Drive up through France and take a shorter trip Calais to Dover...

Train,,, Never done that before, (How easy is it to get on an off with 9mtr M.H. & 5 mtr Trailer.. )

Or leave the complete Rig here, and fly back and come back for the rig another time...

Don't mind a bit of rough through Bay of Biscay,,,, but not with Paul... :Sad:

Anyone got an idea what the weather will be like in a fortnight... :winky:::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If your only going back for a short period. Leave the rig there and fly in and out. Have done it a couple of times this winter. We fly home including transfers for less than £100 return plus 1 Euro per day storage on site. No way am I going back to the frozen north until the footpaths have warmed up :Cool:.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If your only going back for a short period. Leave the rig there and fly in and out. Have done it a couple of times this winter. We fly home including transfers for less than £100 return plus 1 Euro per day storage on site. No way am I going back to the frozen north until the footpaths have warmed up :Cool:.

I got a new Kitchen to put in,,, new bathroom and a lounge to revamp...:Sad:

Plus a few hundred fish to find that are swimming round in the garden, some where..:RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
the weather for the foreseeable future is shite Mo.. .. stormy and wet .. :Sad:

So, if you can say as 'call me Dave' that money is no object .. flying is a no brainer..

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Weather

Hi, you've probably missed the worst of it. Next week looking better for kids half term. Leaving the van at home and off to Bluestone, South Wales with kids and grandchildren. Will need a few days away after to recover from being woken at 6am by 3 little ones! The sun is actually shining here in Bideford this morning and the winds for next week seem to be lower so a dash across Biscay may be an option.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Mo, if I were you I would make my way up through Spain and make a decision when near to Santander or Bilbao. If the weather kooks OK take the ferry, if it is still iffy drive up through France and take the Dover / Calais crossing. I can't help with your question regarding the tunnel, but I believe that Smudger has got his rig through it in the past so it should not be a problem for you.
Hope all is well with Judy, Paul and yourself,
Safe journey,

Brisey.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Long range forecast.

Rain till spring,

Wind again end of March.

Likelihood of 3 days sun early May.

Drought declared as a result, and hosepipe ban.

Army to be employed delivering 3 bricks to each household in August to put in toilet cisterns to save water. Once task completed, half of regular army to be made redundant.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The train is no issue, you go on the same carriages that take coaches and they often pull trailers... Unless you need the rig back in UK and your happy to leave it parked in Spain ( remember insurance wont cover it) then fly back makes sense....

We are going back from Malaga soon then returning ready for Bellavista.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I got a new Kitchen to put in,,, new bathroom and a lounge to revamp...:Sad:

Plus a few hundred fish to find that are swimming round in the garden, some where..:RollEyes:::bigsmile:

So thats the next few days taken care of. What ya gona do next week :ROFLMAO:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Home ! :Eeek: Have you stopped taking your medication Mo. :ROFLMAO:

We travel up through France, stopping on aires, going off on the bikes, BBQ and outdoor living wonderful..........................................but this is not the time Mo. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
With Eurotunnel you have the option of travelling Freight (very simpe loading) although as others have said buses with trailers do use the regular service but it can be tight.

This time of year too many ferries have to park up inside or outside Dover to wait for an opportunity, and like the rest of us you will be amazed the first time you use Eurotunnel how slick it is (and the terminals either end) compared to the ferries.

There again, leaving your rig in Portugal is a great excuse to get back there for a break and a pleasant drive back in the Spring.

Good luck

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you had better swim by Devon on your way back Mo I have a couple of your fish here with promissory notes asking for food.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Unless you intend to get floats fitted I'd leave the rig and fly back, oh and the trains are only just running to your neck of the woods new overhead lines powered from old Mo's genny backup plan working a treat.
I'd head further south in search of sun if I were you before the snow sets in here. Long term forecast is more weather to come for the foreseeable future.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I don't think I fancy fighting my way North to this lot

Broken Link Removed

May 29, 2012
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cheyenne 635se
Exp
since 2008
mo

hi mo if i was in your shoes prividing paul and judy and yourself are ok and you could stay there a little longer i would come back when this storm field is over take care all of you regards mervyn:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I understand keeping Paul occupied is the main problem, time you found him a woman, hee hee. As to the tunnel it really could not be easier mo and once you have done it you won't be wanting any other way. As long as you are diesel powered and not LPG, no problems. However the kitchen etc will wait this crap weather is worse at home you may as well just move further South. and keep away from the Atlantic side.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would wait a while Mo. According to the Daily Mail we are all doomed.

When / if the weather calms down can't you take the sailing from Santander direct to Plymouth?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back