Cadac advice - for the uninitiated (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I have now spent hours trying to understand exactly what I need to run a Cadac from the external gas point on our motorhome and I'm now at the stage where I can't see wood for trees (ie totally confused). Could someone please tell me in words of one syllable EXACTLY what I need (links would be very much appreciated). Also should I buy the LP or HP Cadac?

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...dTP7UofVMeLF0QXjtYGoBQ&ved=0CAUQxiAwAw&iact=chttp://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...1oCIDA&usg=AFQjCNEBPVyRppXf4AAxAE33Y9_8hJGW4A
Thanks.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have a Cadac Safari, does the job for two of us. All I needed was a piece of hose and a connection for the valve on the side of the van. I got it long enough so I can pass it under the van if it's too windy on one side.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Thank you Bill.................. but what connection????? This is the problem I am having - I need to know exactly what connection............... or am I being really, really thick?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Thank you Bill.................. but [HI]what connection[/HI]????? This is the problem I am having - I need to know exactly what connection............... or am I being really, really thick?

Depends what you are trying to connect to, if it is one like this all you'd need is the pipe to slide over.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
There are two types. When I bought mine the girl in the accessory shop was able to tell me which was which. My valve has a collar that pushes up to fit the connection, the other doesn't, possibly mine is the more recent type.

Rgds
Bill

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
To run a Cadac (or any gas barbecue) from the onboard LPG bottles / tank, you need a low pressure (LP) version. Then you need an external gas point plumbed in to one of the gas supply lines in the van. Ours comes off the supply pipe that goes to the Truma water and space heater. It is a good idea to have an internal isolating valve in this branch line, even though the external gas point may itself have a valve in it.
There are two commonly used external points: one made by Reich and often installed by continental manufacturers, and one made by Bullfinch - a UK firm. I have the latter. Below are links to both types. The Reich has a lockable cover, but the Bullfinch doesn't need one as the gas supply is automatically cut off when you disconnect the 'plug'.
I think John Cross will sell you the either variety with a Funster disccount.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/bullfinch-gas-point.html
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/reich-gas-supply.html

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
To run a Cadac (or any gas barbecue) from the onboard LPG bottles / tank, you need a low pressure (LP) version. Then you need an external gas point plumbed in to one of the gas supply lines in the van. Ours comes off the supply pipe that goes to the Truma water and space heater. It is a good idea to have an internal isolating valve in this branch line, even though the external gas point may itself have a valve in it.
There are two commonly used external points: one made by Reich and often installed by continental manufacturers, and one made by Bullfinch - a UK firm. I have the latter. Below are links to both types. The Reich has a lockable cover, but the Bullfinch doesn't need one as the gas supply is automatically cut off when you disconnect the 'plug'.
I think John Cross will sell you the either variety with a Funster disccount.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/bullfinch-gas-point.html
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/reich-gas-supply.html

I must have been finding the links whilst you were posting :ROFLMAO:
Mike

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
This is a photo of our gas point so it would appear based on your links that it is a Bullfinch. We do not have the red connector as shown in the first photo on your link - should we? If not, what should we buy?
Thank you for the info regarding LP vs HP.

Attachments

• gas point small.gif
    gas point small.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 29

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, that's a Bullfinch. Spare connectors also available from John Cross - not expensive.

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Thank you. So, if I buy the Cadac (LP) and the Bullfinch tail connector and a hose (with jubilee clips?) - do I now have everything?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you. So, if I buy the Cadac (LP) and the Bullfinch tail connector and a hose (with jubilee clips?) - do I now have everything?

No, you still need steaks, chicken drumsticks, burgers or similar!

Yes, get a decent length of hose (beware of dealers telling you they can only sell you a metre) I think this limit doesn't apply to high pressure rubber hose which will work perfectly well, so don't ask for low pressure hose. I think I have about 2 or 3 metres from memory.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Numpty question time coming up

No, you still need steaks, chicken drumsticks, burgers or similar!

Yes, get a decent length of hose (beware of dealers telling you they can only sell you a metre) I think this limit doesn't apply to high pressure rubber hose which will work perfectly well, so don't ask for low pressure hose. I think I have about 2 or 3 metres from memory.

When I read the fitting/connecting instructions for my Cadac it stated that the low pressure hose should be no more than 1 meter long.

Was this to comply with legislation because it is low pressure ?
Like a good boy, the hose I bought is 1 meter long. :Blush:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

You should have ::bigsmile:
When I bought my hose 4yrs ago the guy was mumbling something about only being allowed to sell it in 1Mtr lengths-I never got to the bottom of that,but it took me half an hour to persuade him to sell me 3 mtrs and to attach The Cadac connector on one end and the bullfinch on the other.
Good luck

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back