LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, can anyone please tell me what the fabric beading attached to awnings is called, and if it is available with beading at both sides so it can fit in the awning rail and into a figure of eight plastic sheath.

I have probably not explained it very clearly but we were wanting to find an extra couple of inches so we could buy a Sunncamp Air (maximum height 250) for our 253 awning rail.

The Sunncamp is half the cost of the Kampa and looks just as good.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Ginny

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its called kador strip:thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Not sure but anything like this??

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
beware.....there are two sizes of beading.
You need to know the size of the slot in the awning front rail and in the figure 8 plastic strip.

The smaller one can pull out of the larger slot and obviously the larger wont fit in the smaller slot.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Can you fit an awning rail at the correct height on the side of the van. This is what I and many others have done. It provides a better fit.

Lunarman

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The full kit is called many things, such as: drive away kit / awning piping kit / kador strip / kador kit .... etc! If you only want the actual 'piping' this can be bought separately.

There are 2 versions of the 'piping' strips, one with 4mm piping on one side and 6mm on the other, and another with 6mm on both sides. The former (4mm/6mm) is what you will need to attach to the front slot on a Fiamma awning and possibly Omnistor awnings (I've never had one so can't say for sure what side the front slot is), and the latter (6mm/6mm) is for the awning rails that caravans have. The plastic 'figure of 8' strip is 6mm on both sides.

You MUST make sure that you get the correct piping for your awning and that whatever you buy you DOUBLE CHECK with the seller what it is they have as, for example, looking on Ebay some of the sellers show the 4mm/6mm piping but when you read the description it is the standard 6mm/6mm!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can you fit an awning rail at the correct height on the side of the van. This is what I and many others have done. It provides a better fit.

Lunarman

Yes, but the downside is that it is much more difficult (if not impossible!) to detach and re-attach if you want to go out, the drive away kit makes is so easy to do this.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just a thought, have you double checked that your MH habitation door will still open if you go for the lower awning?

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I have a brand new kit for sale I bought it for my Topaz, but sold it before I had a chance to use it with my drive away awning, the canvas strip is just over 3 mtrs, comes with 4 lengths of the plastic figure of 8 to fit the strip, the beading is 6mm, I will not use it with my Clubman so it is surplus to requirements.

pm if interested,

Margaret

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Yes, but the downside is that it is much more difficult (if not impossible!) to detach and re-attach if you want to go out, the drive away kit makes is so easy to do this.

True but then the sunncamp is not a driveaway awning. Its this type it will fall down without the van to support it.

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
imgres

Broken Link Removed

Lunarman

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
True but then the sunncamp is not a driveaway awning. Its this type it will fall down without the van to support it.

Ah, see, I stupidly assumed they were drive away awnings with the OP asking about the kits! ::bigsmile:

However ... we actually DO intend to use our drive away kit with a large porch awning and will, if we want, be able to disconnect ... our intention is to flop the awning down onto the ground and peg it to keep it there when we want to go out in the van. :Smile:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
imgres

Broken Link Removed

Lunarman

We dont really want a drive away awning, we tend to stay put once we are on site until we move onto the next one.

Ginny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Ah, see, I stupidly assumed they were drive away awnings with the OP asking about the kits! ::bigsmile:

However ... we actually DO intend to use our drive away kit with a large porch awning and will, if we want, be able to disconnect ... our intention is to flop the awning down onto the ground and peg it to keep it there when we want to go out in the van. :Smile:

Now there's a thought, we did not think we would be able to disconnect the awning easily, other than taking it down!

Ginny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have a brand new kit for sale I bought it for my Topaz, but sold it before I had a chance to use it with my drive away awning, the canvas strip is just over 3 mtrs, comes with 4 lengths of the plastic figure of 8 to fit the strip, the beading is 6mm, I will not use it with my Clubman so it is surplus to requirements.

pm if interested,

Margaret

Pm sent!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Have you tried this ?-Drive away awnings do have a quite large piece of material between the actual awning and the van-which is what makes them 'easier' to re-connect.
Mike

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, can anyone please tell me what the fabric beading attached to awnings is called, and if it is available with beading at both sides so it can fit in the awning rail and into a figure of eight plastic sheath.

I have probably not explained it very clearly but we were wanting to find an extra couple of inches so we could buy a Sunncamp Air (maximum height 250) for our 253 awning rail.

The Sunncamp is half the cost of the Kampa and looks just as good.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Ginny

I put an awning rail just below my Fiamma windout awning-we bought a Kampa 250 air.

We had a Suncamp-not the air,and I left it in a skip at Marjal last winter ::bigsmile:
We had already decided to buy the Kampa because the material seemed so much stronger.

Mike

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
[quote:]Originally Posted by Minx View Post
Ah, see, I stupidly assumed they were drive away awnings with the OP asking about the kits!

However ... we actually DO intend to use our drive away kit with a large porch awning and will, if we want, be able to disconnect ... our intention is to flop the awning down onto the ground and peg it to keep it there when we want to go out in the van.[/quote]

Have you tried this ?-Drive away awnings do have a quite large piece of material between the actual awning and the van-which is what makes them 'easier' to re-connect.
Mike

We used a porch awning at Newark with the drive away kit and it was very easy to put on the van when we set it up and also take it down, we didn't move the van but I can't see that that would make any difference. We have used various 'proper' drive away awnings (Movelites) before and not had any problem re-attaching them as we ensure that we mark out EXACTLY where the van was before we move it - this is the key to getting it right every time.

Attachments

• Awning at Newark 2.JPG
    Awning at Newark 2.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I put an awning rail just below my Fiamma windout awning-we bought a Kampa 250 air.

We had a Suncamp-not the air,and I left it in a skip at Marjal last winter ::bigsmile:
We had already decided to buy the Kampa because the material seemed so much stronger.

Mike

I thought the material was stronger/thicker on the Sunncamp awnings, I am glad you posted we will have a walk around the campsite and check the Sunncamp before we put our money down.

Ginny

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We wanted to modify our nets. Contacted Lillypad ( net makers and suppliers ) and explained what we wanted to do.
Very helpful and half the price of that stuff on fleabay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back