Traveling with dogs (1 Viewer)

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
I've not found anything yet relating to this subject, but my apologies if it has already been covered.
What I want to know is; how do you experienced MV owners get on with traveling with your dogs and staying on sites? We have 2 largish dogs which my husband is convinced will love MV life, I'm not so sure and have visions of anti-dog people complaining if they bark in the night (which certainly can be annoying) I also am not sure if my collie would be allowed to run on a site, being the nature of a collie he needs several miles run every day, even if its just round in circles chasing his ball, and I can see us having to pack up every morning just to drive to a vacant field to find a run for him!
Any experiences and advice would be most appreciated.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I must admit that most of the sites we've stayed on are very rural with adjacent public footpaths and fields.

We've seen lots of dog owners walking their dogs and my kids love them.

A lot of owners are on this site with valuable information for you.

Try John (Roadrunner).He's got a couple of SMALL dogs :RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

They're great........GREAT DANES that is.:thumb:

Also Jim as well.

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

We have one small Westie and she goes everywhere with us. All of the sites that we have been on insist that dogs are kept on a short lead at all times and so yes you will have to find somwhere else to excersise your dogs.

A few weeks ago we stopped on a site in Yorkshire. A young family parked next to us and they had two large dogs that needed a lot of excersise, they didnt get it and barked all day and all night.

The only way they could stop the dogs from barking was to put them in a cage, the cage was locked with chain and then blankets put over the cage so that they couldnt see anything. This to me was cruel.

In general most people are very tolerant of dogs and everywhere we go there are a lot of them. Its the same old thing. Act in a responsible manner.

Jim:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Whereas I agree with Jim (above post)...we have 3 yorkies and they travel everywhere with us....2 are quiet but the 3rd is not! He is young yet though and we are training him to not make too much of a noise (use small pop bottle filled with little stones...ie it makes more noise than he does so he shuts up!!) :ROFLMAO: The other thing we do is use a similar bottle filled with water and squirt him or just threaten to!!) . He never barks at night without good reason. What I am trying to say is that you can normally quieten the dogs down!!
As for exercise, I head out of the site and if I see a dog owner, I ask where the best walks are....
Soooo many of us have dogs and most create no problem....they also get to enjoy it.....:Smile:

Last edited:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
You may find Link Removed (this covers mainly the UK but also the continent) to be helpful. We accept dogs, but require them to be on leads when on site, though there is a superb dog walk close by.

The French see animals differently to the Brits, so there is much acceptance of dogs here. :Smile:

Bob

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We motorhome with two medium size dogs but don't use sites, we wild camp. I personally would not like a dog barking near me if I was on a site, as we go for the peace and quiet, it is also important that as responsible dog owners we pick up the mess they leave behind. Ours love travelling and have their own safety harnesses which are always worn when on the move, a flying dog can cause a lot of damage, to itself and others so make sure they stay belted up. Otherwise enjoy, the dogs will.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Link Removed

Most campsites accept dogs (some wont) but be careful the more greedy ones will try and charge as much as £5 per night per dog (but do your homework and many are free)

I have caravanned with my dogs and Bruno my older one has been to virtually every European country we as Brits are allowed in and Amy has been through 3 countries now.

You need a pet passport to leave the UK with your pets and will take 6 to 8 month to get all the tests and vaccines done before they can travel.

They also need to be inspected by a vet on the Euro side 24 to 48 hour before your return to the UK for check over.

Driving you have to stop ever 4 hour or so to let your dog stretch his legs and other doggy things.

We gave up caravaning when we got the 2nd Great Dane as they literally were destroying the inside of the van moving around (furniture more fragile in caravan and euro stlyle motorhome) but again depend on your dogs and how good they are, mine are large 15 stone each.:Doh::roflmto:

Both travel superbly especially now they can sit up front with us and our Amy thinks she's in charge when arriving at sites (see picture:roflmto:)

Link Removed

Remember on sites to keep your dog on a lead and try not to let them have accidents in public areas and always clean up after them and you'll be fine.

I find the biggest problem with the dogs is attending the shows as mine are so large and at shows vehicles tend to park nearer to each other some mine can be a handful with other dogs around.

Saying all of this if the dogs cant go we dont either.

Link Removed

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Link Removed

Most campsites accept dogs (some wont) but be careful the more greedy ones will try and charge as much as £5 per night per dog (but do your homework and many are free)

I have caravanned with my dogs and Bruno my older one has been to virtually every European country we as Brits are allowed in and Amy has been through 3 countries now.

You need a pet passport to leave the UK with your pets and will take 6 to 8 month to get all the tests and vaccines done before they can travel.

They also need to be inspected by a vet on the Euro side 24 to 48 hour before your return to the UK for check over.

Driving you have to stop ever 4 hour or so to let your dog stretch his legs and other doggy things.

We gave up caravaning when we got the 2nd Great Dane as they literally were destroying the inside of the van moving around (furniture more fragile in caravan and euro stlyle motorhome) but again depend on your dogs and how good they are, mine are large 15 stone each.:Doh::roflmto:

Both travel superbly especially now they can sit up front with us and our Amy thinks she's in charge when arriving at sites (see picture:roflmto:)

Link Removed

Remember on sites to keep your dog on a lead and try not to let them have accidents in public areas and always clean up after them and you'll be fine.

I find the biggest problem with the dogs is attending the shows as mine are so large and at shows vehicles tend to park nearer to each other some mine can be a handful with other dogs around.

Saying all of this if the dogs cant go we dont either.

Link Removed

Saying all of this if the dogs cant go we dont either. Absolutley (Love my Money, Love my Dog) :thumb:

Jim

saxon

Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
We have two spaniels, both lively and one a good barker. We are up early with them each day so come bed time they both flake out. Wherever we go, they go. We did wild camp a lot but always found good locations where they can run and run. Just being with us 24/7 seems to be enough. Tried the dog harnesses, but it stressed them both, and found the perfect solution which we all enjoy - they both lie in their bed by Shirl's feet. No where for them to go if I brake hard. They love the MH and we love having them with us. France next year (both chipped already) - have taken on board what's needed and are getting prepared now.
:thumb:

OP
OP
P

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
Thank you all for your advice, all of which has been taken on board. I think that, at first, I will insist that we book ahead to those sites that welcome dogs until we find our feet (or wheels!) and see how they react to the MV. One dog is rather elderly and since being badly kicked during a robbery at our house, has understandably become anxious of strangers, though she is good on a lead. The other is a totally mad 7-8 year old collie who firmly believes the whole world adores him, he's dreadful on a lead but its the only way to stop him launching himself for a cuddle at unsuspecting people and other dogs!
Anyway, all this info is being carefully stored away for the day we sell our villa in Turkey and rush off to buy an MV - can't wait!

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
At the moment we have one caravan with a cat and one motorhome with two dogs together with owners of course - no problem - and we don't charge for dogs either. Can not wait until we get someone with a bird in a cage !!:whatthe:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
At the moment we have one caravan with a cat and one motorhome with two dogs together with owners of course - no problem - and we don't charge for dogs either. Can not wait until we get someone with a bird in a cage !!:whatthe:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Eileen, I bet you will one day, we went to a show once and they had a hamster in the cage, and bless them they re-parkd their rv so that the sun didnt make the rv too hot:ROFLMAO:
ruth

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Aaaaaaaaah ! want a lovely talking parrot to sit out in the sunshine !::bigsmile:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
oh bloomin eck I had forgotten about him AD !! :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.