Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they both have an inherant weakness......the door frame.

Sidewall is made of thin ply inside, foam block then an aluminium or grp skin with a wood door surround.

The swing-over arm will give extra leverage to wreck the side wall.

I had the full jobbie on my last eurovan.....swing over hand rail and security lock on the door.
The handrail is secured to both the door frame and door (when locked) so cant be used as a lever.

Just my opinion.

Fiamma_Security_31_and_46_Security_Door_Handle.jpg

And the lock itself.....

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Security/Fiamma-Kit-Security-Lock-Safety-Handle-Lock

Last edited:
OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
MrsTheWife doesn't want one of those hand rail door things, so it's a no go. I know these things won't make it into Fort Knox, but rather make an scumbag pass over it and go somewhere else. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
MrsTheWife doesn't want one of those hand rail door things, so it's a no go. I know these things won't make it into Fort Knox, but[HI] rather make an scumbag pass over it and go somewhere else[/HI]. ::bigsmile:

i guess there is that aspect....

If they really want in they would simply rip out a PLASTIC window, four little plastic catches wont hold for long.

the same way i would get out in an emergency (fire) situation....size 10 and 17stone vs plastic window...no contest. :roflmto:.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm getting a couple of security locks fitted to my hab door and garage soon and I'm providing the fitter with the locks. It's a toss-up between a Milenco lock or a Fiamma one. Any pro's or cons between the two ?

Fiamma - http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-safe-door.html

Milenco - http://www.johnscross.co.uk/milenco-security-door-lock.html

Not that bothered about being able to lock it from the inside, as I can always locks it via the cab door.

The Millenco you can lock from the inside and outside, the Fiamma is outside only

Peter

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'd have to buy the lock to make the pattern though ! I think I'll probably end up with the Fiamma unit . . .

As mentioned on the other post, I bought a contour gauge from Machine Mart. A few minutes to "mould" it round the frame and a few more to copy the shape to card and cut it out was all it took. We then took the card with us to fit against the locks.

That was the Frame Lock rather than the drill through the wall one though.

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Well I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered a couple of the frame mounting Fiamma locks and some sealent from John Cross. If they arrive by the weekend, I'll have a go at fitting them myself. What could possibly go wrong :winky: :Cool:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Well I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered a couple of the frame mounting Fiamma locks and some sealent from John Cross. If they arrive by the weekend, I'll have a go at fitting them myself. [HI]
What could possibly go wrong :winky: :Cool:

[/HI]

I`m sure you will tell us....

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered a couple of the frame mounting Fiamma locks and some sealent from John Cross. If they arrive by the weekend, I'll have a go at fitting them myself. What could possibly go wrong :winky: :Cool:

Hi Tim

They are all packed up and ready to be collected by tracked courier service and should normally be delivered tomorrow (thursday)

Good luck, any problems just give us a call

Peter

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Hi Tim

They are all packed up and ready to be collected by tracked courier service and should normally be delivered tomorrow (thursday)

Good luck, any problems just give us a call

Peter

Arrived safe and sound. :thanks2:

I'll have to get a move on the Sikaflex is best before 03/2014 . . :getmecoat:

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Somewhere between receiving the locks and getting around to fitting them, I / MrsTheWife :Blush: (more likely the latter) has mislaid one of the sets of screws :Doh: . Does anyone what size these self-tappers are so I can try and get three more . . .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Are they self tappers or wood screws Tim? If the construction of your van is like ours there is timber behind the metal door frame skin.

Either way, a trip to Wilkinsons or B&Q and comparison with what's on the racks should find something to match - or drop me a PM and you could come round and look at the [STRIKE]cra[/STRIKE] stock of useful oddments I have in my garage ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back